Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bloodsuckers
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eener

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:39 pm    Post subject: Bloodsuckers Reply with quote

Hi everyone-

I was wondering if anyone had a sure-fire way to prevent mosquito bites. Am I dreaming if I think there is a way to NOT get any this summer?

Thanks in advance.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apartment is very close to a swampy rice field. The windows all have screens, but still the moggies manage to find a way in. It's not getting bitten that keeps me awake so much as that SOUND in my ears.

We use little burners in the bedroom that let off a weird anti-moggie smell. They're probably not the healthiest thing, but I don't think they're as bad as moggie-incense. They work pretty well.

If anyone has a good sure-fire anti-moggie method, I'd be grateful to hear it.
kricket

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
My apartment is very close to a swampy rice field. The windows all have screens, but still the moggies manage to find a way in. It's not getting bitten that keeps me awake so much as that SOUND in my ears.

We use little burners in the bedroom that let off a weird anti-moggie smell. They're probably not the healthiest thing, but I don't think they're as bad as moggie-incense. They work pretty well.

If anyone has a good sure-fire anti-moggie method, I'd be grateful to hear it.

That mostquito buzz sound in your ear when you're sleeping almost drove me crazy last summer. I'm definitely gonna get some of that burner stuff soon...
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forget the burners. You need to buy this electric thingy that you put some pad on. guaranteed to keep the mosquitoes away. We put one on and the room is clean all night. No buzzing and no itching in the morning.

sorry I dont' know what it is called, but I'm sure your Korean wife/GF/friend will know and be able to buy the correct thing. Also it doesn't smell.
Sliver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcmod

Please give us the Korean name, brand or something because to be "sure" that a korean knows something is a misnomer.

It sounds like the "duck's nuts" so if you can give some more info it would be GREATLY appreciated.
Gladiator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Blood Sucking Parasites Reply with quote

Sliver,

The device Kimcheeking is referring to is known in Korean as "Mogi-Yak" and is available in most pharmacies.

They are all right about the smell but it's a price worth paying for a night's sleep.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sliver

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name makes sense, thanks gladiator.

Have a good sleep Smile Smile
TINKERBELL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When packing my suitcase to come here, my mother insisted on chucking in loads of nick-nacks that I thought were useless. Rolling Eyes However, one of these was the electric mosquito thingy and a huge pile of refills. Having never come across mosquitos before arriving here, I thought it was a waste of money. Now though, I'm eternally grateful! Very Happy
The Lemon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the stuff I was talking about - and it sounds like kimcheeking was talking about too (correct me if I'm wrong). It's called F-Killer, and consists of a small metal pad (blue on the other side), and an electric heater. It gives off a slightly weird smell, but does seem to do the trick.

Don't forget to pick up some refill packs (that's what the box is, in the picture)

William Beckerson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last summer I lived next to the Han Gang and let me tell you, the item Lemon has pictured there is worth it's weight in gold.
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've used those things in many places in asia (the electric pad thing in the picture) and they do work very well. but you know the number one thing that has worked for me, the simple, yet effective, mosquito net. put it over your bed and bob is your mother's brother.
Stunted Wookie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: things Reply with quote

We've got those in EVERY room of the apartment....DOn't sleep without them...
They don't smell too bad, maybe ours are scented?

Shocked
Kyrei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Mogi-yak and the smell Reply with quote

They don't smell too bad, but you do get great psychodelic dreams, which completely makes up for it.

My friend also suggested putting some anti-bug juice on your ears before you sleep that way they little buggers don't hum around your head all night -- but you'll still get bitten.

Kyrei
crazylemongirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you get fan death if you leave them on overnight ? Very Happy

Just out of interest is there any good personal repellents because mozzies seem to love my blood I end up with mozzie bites on my legs than freckles and that's saying something...

CLG
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rike wrote:
Can anyone tell me what a mosquito net is called in Korean? I had one last time I was here and it saved my sanity. I haven't seen any around, but then again, I don't know what they are called in Korean, so I can't exactly ask the shopkeepers if they have any in the back. Smile

Yes. 모기장. If you or your PC can't read that, mo-gee-jahng.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Home Mate. I think it's basically the same thing as the F-Killer mentioned above. I use it all the time. I can't smell it and I haven't grown a second head yet. You should be able to find it at any drug store or discount mart.

Sweet dreams.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: