Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sony Vaio
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Godzilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go along with Hank on this one. Am typing this on a Toshiba Satellite 5200-801.. bulky but with the same kind of performance as a desk top. DVD-RW too.

One thing to think about is the 3 year International Waranty you get with Toshiba.

Hope this helps
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will get the Samsung Sens.

SX15-VM582/17R

It seems to have all I need. It has a better picture quality like the Sony, but also has a 3 year warranty. 512 MB ram, 80GB harddrive

http://www.noteman.co.kr/html/samsung/ss_sx15_vm582_17r.htm

Remember I am living in Korea, not US. anyone see anything wrong with this? (other than the price, don't care I'll use my severence pay for this year).....unless someone can find the same quality for 2,800,000 or less
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
osangrl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh mine is a GRX520 Sad
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
I think I will get the Samsung Sens.

SX15-VM582/17R

It seems to have all I need. It has a better picture quality like the Sony, but also has a 3 year warranty. 512 MB ram, 80GB harddrive

http://www.noteman.co.kr/html/samsung/ss_sx15_vm582_17r.htm

Remember I am living in Korea, not US. anyone see anything wrong with this? (other than the price, don't care I'll use my severence pay for this year).....unless someone can find the same quality for 2,800,000 or less

Shared video memory, BUT that notebook can take 2gigs of ram...I would max out that ram and allocate 64MB to video ram.

It won't be a power machine, but can do most things you want it to do. For games desktops just own over notebooks anyways.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am considering the Compaq NX7000. It is American, but seems to be cheaper in Korea than in America. anyone know why?

What's the difference between a Centrino M and a Pentium IV M?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

centrinos are slower and save on battery power.
pentiums vice versa.

if you are going to hull around your laptop all the time go for the centrino.
if it will sit on your desk most of the time get the pentium.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulsanchris wrote:
centrinos are slower and save on battery power.
pentiums vice versa.

if you are going to hull around your laptop all the time go for the centrino.
if it will sit on your desk most of the time get the pentium.

I second that Smile

Since my notebook sits on a desk most of the day, I went with PIV M and lots of power...it sucks battery like mad and is heavy too.
maiden's iron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: undecided Reply with quote

I will be purchasing a notebook in about two months but still have trouble deciding which one to get. I want a desktop replacement with a good processor. I have had a Compaq 2700 desktop for about two years and I haven't been too happy with it. Of course, the processor and RAM are insuffecient so I am looking at something that I will be able to use for several years. I've been doing some research and so far I have two notebooks in mind:

(1) HP Pavilion zd7000
Specs: 3.2-GHz Pentium 4, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 60GB hard drive, DVD+RW drive, four USB 2.0 and one FireWire port, 17-inch WXGA display, 802.11g, 9.3 lbs. system weight

and

(2) Apple PowerBook G4 (17-inch)
Specs: 1.33-GHz PowerPC G4, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB hard drive, DVD-R/CD-RW SuperDrive, 17-inch wide-screen display, two USB 2.0 ports, one FireWire 400 and one FireWire 800 port, 802.11g, 6.7 lbs. system weight

Price is not a consideration. I'm looking at WiFi capabilities and performance for several reasons. I wonder if I can get a customized machine at a better price with better specs but I'm concerned about the warranty and reliability, which is something that I wouldn't worry about with the better known names such as Dell and Toshiba. I also wonder if the Apple notebook's processor above is actually comparable to a high-end pc processor like the Pentium. I had a low-end Apple notebook a few years ago and it was ok, but there were many limitations that most people didn't have with a pc. I believe that the Apple G4's operating system is more similar to a pc now compared to a few years ago when applications were very limited, but is the processor still very different from that of a pc? Several people told me that comparing an Apple's speed to a pc is like comparing apples and oranges. One person said it was like comparing an ocean to a river. Thus the 1.3 gh processor on a $3000 Apple machine compared to a $2000 pc machine with 3.3 gh. Any recommendations about other comparable notebooks?
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: undecided Reply with quote

maiden's iron wrote:

(1) HP Pavilion zd7000
Specs: 3.2-GHz Pentium 4, 512MB DDR SDRAM, 60GB hard drive, DVD+RW drive, four USB 2.0 and one FireWire port, 17-inch WXGA display, 802.11g, 9.3 lbs. system weight

That's a system I have yet to see in Korea.

If I had seen it, I'd probably have bought it. Looks like the cost is about what I paid for my Sony notebook too.

128MB of video memory=very yummy notebook.

Apple is a bad buy imo. You can get SO much more software and games for a windows based system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: