Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deodorant?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lemon wrote:
phaedrus wrote:
I use Speed Stick Clear. Three or four last two years for me. A visit to Canada fixes me up.

Hold it a minute. 6 months per deoderant?

You're sure about that?

Usually. It lasts quite a long time. It doesn't go on thick for some reason.

I switched to it cause white deodorants would last me a month or two.

I don't use anti perspirant because I think it is bad for people.
wylde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaedrus wrote:
Deodorant and toothpaste, even if I can find them here, don't satisfy me unless they are certain brands. Speed Stick Clear and Crest Regular Mint Everything else fine.

lets do the toothpaste thing - new topic Razz
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The underground market in NamDaeMun has b.o. killer. I usually get it for 4000 a stick, which lasts my stinky self about 1.5-2 months. It's in the underground market, and if the wife didn't know where it was, I would be lost in there for days, wandering aimlessly around in circles. It's there, somewhere, just look for signs that say import, usually in Korean (su ip, keyboard isn't in hangul, sorry). Some other good stuff in there too.
PatrickSiheung

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the CK deoderant here in Korea?

And anyone else wonder why Korean doesn't reek of BO? I have yet to smell anyone on the subways on the buses. Even in the summer time. They must shower 2-3 times a day! They spit and blow their noses everywhere, but I have yet to smell anyone. It's a mystery Confused
wylde

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickSiheung wrote:
Did you get the CK deoderant here in Korea?

And anyone else wonder why Korean doesn't reek of BO? I have yet to smell anyone on the subways on the buses. Even in the summer time. They must shower 2-3 times a day! They spit and blow their noses everywhere, but I have yet to smell anyone. It's a mystery Confused

korean ck

they dont sweat like us.. they smell in many other ways
inkoreaforgood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I gotta say, in the summer and getting on the bus, the smell always hits me like a hammer. Koreans don't reek like the rest of us usually, but hot is hot, and sweat means smell. The subway is worse, like swimming through the stuff. Especially when the a/c is not working 100%. Phew!! Whenever the subway stops, I pop my head out and catch a breath. The worst part is that Koreans actually believe they don't smell!!!
oneiros

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
I do believe there is still a Body Shop located at Samsung Plaza. As for black market shops, they're around. I know of one that was located in Yatap-dong, but don't know if it's still there. You'll just have to ask around, I guess. Seems to me lots of Koreans know where to get those black market items.

There's a good sized black market in the basement of the YMCA building near Yatap station. At least there was when I lived in Bundang. I won't promise that it's still there. Anyway, the man who runs it will order in anything you want.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickSiheung wrote:

It's a genetic thing.

Those of Eastern Asian extraction (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, etc.) don't sweat as much as Europeans and their sweat is not as smelly.

On the other hand, Europeans can absorb more alcohol and better digest milk products.
JacktheCat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Old Spice deodorant, it's cheap, long-lasting, powerful, you can find it pretty much everywhere and ....

One interesting thing I have found in my travels is that all women, no matter their country or culture, like the smell of Old Spice.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up some deodorant today at the Red Door and slapped a bunch on.

I'm happily sitting here with the smell of Old Spice wafting to my nose and I'm reminded of the smells of my youth when every kid's father smelled just like I do now. On the one hand it's bringing me back to my youth. On the other hand, I'm feeling old.
krats1976

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for kicks... there's another black (or white? I dunno) market in Sinchon across the street from Hyundai Dept. Store. They have lots of deoderant and other personal hygiene stuff.
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krats1976 wrote:
Just for kicks... there's another black (or white? I dunno) market in Sinchon across the street from Hyundai Dept. Store. They have lots of deoderant and other personal hygiene stuff.

Black. That's where I get my MREs.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal rock deodorant, I dont understand why the whole world isnt onto it. Aussie product, available all over North America in natural food stores & trendier drugstores. $4 buys a chunk will last a year to 18 months. Easy, natural, & effective. Have it sent (havent seen it here) or pick one up next visit home. I'll never use overpriced factory product again.
jajdude

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids I teach sometimes say to or about me "ohhh.... ��� ����" (dandruff smell).... Is that the Korean equivalent of "body odor"?

I sometimes have the dandruff (and use the "novid" shampoo) but I never heard of anybody being able to smell dandruff.

And admittedly sometimes I don't smell great. Run out of deodorant, plus the water for my shower doesn't smell great.

Time to get some deod. and cover up that "bidum namsae" !!!!

Strange no Korean I ever met, even near fluent, ever knew the word dandruff! Yet it is written in English on every "dandruff control" shampoo made in Korea! (then again the word only came up a few times, not the most polite thing to speak of i guess)

Oh well I'm Canadian, speak English but not French, and French is written on lots of stuff too.
Draven

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Draven wrote:
As for black market shops, they're around. I know of one that was located in Yatap-dong, but don't know if it's still there. You'll just have to ask around, I guess. Seems to me lots of Koreans know where to get those black market items.

Well I can confirm that there is a black market shop in Yatap-dong. I'm currently enjoying my black market purchased snack items, as a matter of fact. He has lots of stuff, including deodorant. Take exit #2 out of Yatap station. It's the building directly in front of you. Kwang Bo Shopping Centre. Take the escalator down to the basement and look to the right to find the shop.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: