Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

god hagwons and churchies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
William Beckerson

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Trolling? Flaming? Reply with quote

Kate in Canada wrote:

Please sir, do not lump all Christians in the same jar. I am a Christian but I am far from perfect. Your comments about Canadians and Christians are quite insulting. Do you like anyone?

I like everyone. I just feel that everyone needs to realize how full of crap they are, just like me.
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now lets check out the record of christians: they raise loads of money to help poor and disadvantaged people across the world 2) They are generally honest and hardworking ... Mmm, hardly full of crap when you think about it.
Never ceases to amaze me how christians attract soooo much criticism and hatred. You'll be starting a lions arena for us all next. I mean, why not go harass some bhuddists or muslims instead?
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the Iraqi Foreign Minister Tariq Aziz was also a Christian. He did a lot of good for people.
Alias

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gang ah jee wrote:

To summarise (though it's a long time since I last read it,) Buddhism and Shamanism are seen as hillbilly pastimes, and that people who want to advance socially and economically have embraced Christianity, in large part due to the American connection.

Bingo Exclamation
Alias

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rapier wrote:

Never ceases to amaze me how christians attract soooo much criticism and hatred. You'll be starting a lions arena for us all next. I mean, why not go harass some bhuddists or muslims instead?

Well Buddhists keep to themselves and aren't in our face trying to save our souls. Muslims are already harrassed enough by the evangelical crowd I thought they deserved a break.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant comeback there, maxx power, pointing out that Aziz was a Christian and sarcastically remarking that he did a lot of good. I'm sure many Christians will be renouncing the faith after reading that post. Looks like we've got the Second Coming of Voltaire right here on this board, ladies and gents.
Squaffy

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and I'm Mephistopheles Twisted Evil
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Trolling? Flaming? Reply with quote

Run Forrest Run wrote:
Kate in Canada wrote:

Please sir, do not lump all Christians in the same jar. I am a Christian but I am far from perfect. Your comments about Canadians and Christians are quite insulting. Do you like anyone?

I like everyone. I just feel that everyone needs to realize how full of crap they are, just like me.

No. Anyone who sparingly and effectively uses assclown smack is pretty cool most of the time, even if you are from The Maritimes.

How is it a Maritmer teaches English when Maritimers don't have English as their first language?
maxxx_power

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand wrote:
I'm sure many Christians will be renouncing the faith after reading that post.

I certainly hope they do.
Medic

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: god hagwons and churchies Reply with quote

Didn't christianity get here through the back door so to speak? No missionaries. They came later. Apparently some Korean christians living in China came back to Korea with the Chinese bible and translated it into Korean. Many people liked what they read, because it was a good alternative to the rigid confucian hierarchy under which they were living at the time. The standard philosophy was that your worth was based on fixed immutable tenents, which you had no way of changing, and christianity offered a more humane empathetic approach to life. They were able to throw off the shackles of blind subservience to the existing dogma, and go inwards, and look at their own self worth as a truer measure of their real selves.

Strange though, because buddhism was supposed to give the inward looking ideal for finding peace, so it was an indication of just how strongly confucianism had been forced on the the people. They say that certain aspects of confucianism were hijacked by the Yongban to ensure their staying power, so it seems that what they did hijack really drove the people to seek a better creed. People here are still being driven to get rid of a lot of stuff that some of the diehards are holding on to for dear life.
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are those who are Christians and try to act like Christians should. There are also those who call themselves Christians and who lead less than exemplary lifestyles.

Is this really so difficult to comprehend?

What is with the "Kim Jong Il says he's a Christian but he's really an evil person, I'm so confused" stuff?
Sliver

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medic wrote

Quote:
Apparently some Korean christians living in China came back to Korea with the Chinese bible and translated it into Korean. Many people liked what they read, because it was a good alternative to the rigid confucian hierarchy under which they were living at the time

Many people liked what they read because it was the word of God. Is it so hard for you to comprehend that christians believe in Christ and recieve joy from him.

I know you will want to argue over points with me so before you do please note in MOHO there is a difference between christianity (Faith in Christ) and organised religion.
Corvid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost made a huge post, but I thought better of it. Just a point rapier, I wouldn't be bragging about the "record" of christians. (Oh my word, the crimes committed in the name of christ!) A lot of christians do have their heart in the right place, and more power to 'em. A lot of christians, entire denominations, are evil and concerned with power over individuals, subjugation of women, all kinds of stuff. I think the whole concept of "hell" is to blame. It's like the religion is threatening me with violence if I don't comply. Yuck!
Sorry to the original poster. I know nothing about Korea. That's why I'm reading this board. I would love to know how to avoid the religious as much as possible. Can you always tell from the job postings? It's not something I'd like to ask during the negotiations. (edit: added "of")
rapier

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alias and Corvid: I agree and disagree with both of you. Alias: I spent 3 months in S.E asia recently, and the bhuddists seemed pretty in your face to me- I couldn't go near a temple without someone urging me to light an incense burner. I mostly respectfully declined, although I did on one occasion. In fact I find many aspects of Bhuddism quite attractive.
On Bheudda's birthday here in Seoul I was dragged into the crowds to dance and chant with them. I enjoyed it, but do you see christians blocking up streets and doing the same thing? No.
As for muslims, I don't even want to begin.
Corvid: I agree with your point- I also find the hell concept, and the eternal burning if you don't do as I say reprehensible.
As regards crimes commited in the name of Christ, I think you'll find that these were done by those who warped interpretation of scriptures to suit their own purposes. real christians don't believe in winning converts by force or torture. and i think you may find Christians have also done a lot of good in this world, too.
If you're not intereted when a christian approaches you on the street, you can always politely say so. they aren't going to kill you or insist you wear a bhurka like Muslims do.
Corvid

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rapier, good post. makes me glad not all christians are *that* crazy Wink , but
rapier wrote:
... like Muslims do.

Whoops, you didn't mean that did you? But I do think it's true that all sects of islam think that the koran came through mohammed in perfect and incontravertable terms. Nevertheless, not all muslims make women wear burkas. Christians and muslims the world over try to win converts in a pretty overt way. Do other religions in Korea (or other place that makes a good story) try to get you to convert?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: