Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"New" Anti-Semitism On Rise Globally?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ernie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm of the opinion that the meaning of words IS important, and that the misuse of words is a grave mistake and needs to be corrected...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igotthisguitar wrote:
Justin Hale wrote:
In short, your point is an absolute joke of a point and every time I whup your ass on this topic, you come back with more of the exact same, a memory problem likely the result of excessive alcohol and cannabis-use.

So, then Mr. Smart "Ass-Whupper", tell us now ... are all "jews" semites?

I would like to make some observations after looking at this thread and another one to show an example of how things can sometimes go wrong on this forum.
This is not directed at just one poster. Others do similar things.

1)The Ass-Whupper comment is quite purile, amateur poster behaviour, it is quite rank, infantile. What does it do the substance of the arguments?

2)Stating that the non-Ashkenazi elements are 10% without bothering to do any research when the number could possibly be closer to 50% does not do justice to the board or any poster's position in an argument. Do research whenever possible or know what you are talking about whether referring to Jews, Arabs, Koreans, Muslims, Christians, atheists. Even if you may have potentially what you view as a noble agenda if you are sloppy with your work to bolster your arguments, what starts out as noble really ends up being ignoble.

3)In another post about terrorism, two posters were going at it with one saying the other one cannot be cogent, because he made grammatical errors, and the other attacked the other for a lack of patriotism.

4)Also, the calling of someone a UFO junkie or unemployed or whatever Lefties presupposes that only those who vote on the Left may believe in UFOs which is not the case and involves immature mud-slinging.

5)Another thing, propaganda is fine somewhat. You can't have political debates without that, perhaps. Just try to refrain from posting using
articles from authors after putting a propagandistic title for your thread.
It is not what the newspaper or wire report necessarily intended. It is better to make your point first and then quote an article and make commentary. Be fair to the authors who make their living not for you to engage in propaganda. It does not matter whethere the author is on the Right and so are you or you are on the Left and so is the author. Let the author speak in a proper way.

I assume you are all adults, you know how to have a civil debate.
Mods do want to help clean up the forum, but you can do the job yourselves mostly.

Thank you.... More detailed observations will be posted on Friday.
Until Friday...
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrico Palazzo wrote:
2) Stating that the non-Ashkenazi elements are 10% without bothering to do any research when the number

... "could possibly be" ... closer to 50% does not do justice to the board or any poster's position in an argument.

Do research whenever possible or know what you are talking about ...

whether referring to Jews, Arabs, Koreans, Muslims, Christians, atheists.

Even if you may have potentially what you view as a noble agenda if you are sloppy with your work to bolster your arguments, what starts out as noble really ends up being ignoble.

Hi Enrico ...

igotthisguitar wrote:
Adventurer wrote:
The founders of Israel were Ashkenazi, but most people will tell you Sephardim are a heavy percentage of the population, not 10%.

Why make such a statement without research?

Why make any statement? That's my understanding. "Most" people will say? So what?

Maybe i'm a little off here ... *shrugs* ...

What is clearly on the mark, however, is the pathetic discrimination that occurs even within Israel itself.

Sephardic are often treated like 2nd class citizens.

Then there's those of African & misc. "other" heritage who are lured to Israel under the guise of repatriation ... Rolling Eyes

ALL of Israeli PMs over its colourful 60 year history? ASH-KE-NAZIS.

What i tried to emphasize is that ( based upon my understanding ) 1) the Ashenazi (Khazars) comprise the vast majority of Israel's population, & 2) They are "jews" only by virtue of their historic religious conversion, & thus NOT semites.

Palestinian Arabs ( along with many other indigenous middle eastern peoples )? Clearly semitic.

Now how's that for ironic?

Also, i don't believe the claim was made that ALL non-Ashkenazis = 10% of Israel's population. Rather, my understanding is that Sephardics are 10%. There are also said to be those whose ethnic self-identity is both non-Askenazi AND non-Sephardic.

i am not an academic authority. Also, last time i checked, we were not being graded & awarded university credits for comments, questions & claims we offer on the ESL discussion forum.

As you may appreciate, this whole area of discourse, including e.g. history, various "ethnic" & religious groupings, current reality claims etc is not always a simple, clear-cut matter.

This of course is much to the chagrin of some who, for purely political reasons, would prefer to have it otherwise Idea

In closing, if any of the direct claims i present here ( or for that matter anywhere else ) are misguided, exaggerated or downright false it is not at all my intent.

Neither however, should anyone ever allow themselves to be bullied or cowed into silence by vicious "virtual" attacks. Launching cheap insults & threats are, for their part, usually desperate signs of the speaker having lost a debate, as well as indicating a clear lack of both civility, personal intelligence, sincerity & creativty.

That is presumably what the board is for: i.e. frank public discussion & exchange of views.

Either way, thank-you for your balanced & insightful comments.

igtg.

p.s.
Quote:
Do research whenever possible or know what you are talking about whether referring to

... Jews, Arabs, Koreans, Muslims, Christians, atheists.

Indeed, i'm likely not the only here who sees this as highlighting the confused sort of mish-mash we should try to avoid.

i.e. Overlapping religious affiliations with various ethnic, national groupings & identities etc, etc.

Greed is god.
Enrico Palazzo
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="igotthisguitar"]

Neither however, should anyone ever allow themselves to be bullied or cowed into silence by vicious "virtual" attacks. Launching cheap insults & threats are, for their part, usually desperate signs of the speaker having lost a debate, as well as indicating a clear lack of both civility, personal intelligence, sincerity & creativty.

That is presumably what the board is for: i.e. frank public discussion & exchange of views.

Either way, thank-you for your balanced & insightful comments.

igtg.

Okay, now to attend to your post, but not just specifically to you, IGOT.
Do you have a nickname, by the way, like guitar? You can call me Rico or Enrico.

You mentioned viciousness on the forum and bullying. I take it, you may feel bullied for your views. I am sure all posters have the right to civility, but it would also call for the said person wanting civility to act in a civil way in terms of not using vulgarity or for example spelling America thus - Amerika. The spelling of America that way is derogatory for some Americans just as somewhat.

You were called a nazi in a forum. It is a bit too far, but you had some derogatory cartoons beforehand. It doesn't help. These kinds of exchanges are not what the forum needs. I do, however, exhort the mates on this board to restrain from being vicious with you, and I ask you to consider and be mindful of what you post as well.

Back to the argument you just made, you brought up a percentage initially, but since you do not really know the percentage it didn't help an argumentation. If per your argument the majority of Israeli Jews were non-European, it would make them look, in your eyes, illegitimate as non-Semites as you view them. However, Israel since the 1970s has become mostly non-European according to many demographers. I read about that before. That is how the Likud became powerful. Labour alienated the Sephardic population and Begin became prime minister in the 1980s as a result. Israel has had many Sephardic ministers, I believe.

http://countrystudies.us/israel/38.htm
You can consult the above link.

There is nothing wrong with debating that you feel the Palestinians or whatever group on this Earth are being treated unjustly. You may feel they were dispossessed or what have you, but it doesn't give license to ignore statistics that may show the majority of Israelis since the 1970s are non-European, though it may have changed with the recent Russian influx. I am just saying the methodology seemed quite propagandistic.

As far as the Ashkenazis, I am not debating the merits or demerits of their leadership. If you read about them beyond what is surface, you would know it traces to the Jews who lived in Germany, not the ones from Russia who were Khazaric. European Jews are a mixture of Sephardic Jews who mixed with Khazars, Rhineland German non Khazar Jews.
I am sure research into that would bare that out. It is very easy to check it out.

You mentioned the mistreatment of non-Ashkenazi Jews. Historically, there was mistreatment of these people like the taking away of the Sephardic children in the 1950s from their families, throwing away the blood of Ethiopian Jews etc.... However, you didn't really acknowledge their heavy numbers until they were mentioned. If you say you are for human dignity and rights, should you not try to show what is out there in a balanced way and not just seeking to satisfy some egoic satisfaction tied to scoring political points?

This also applies to other people.... I am not for bashing you, and you are welcome if you are willing as others are hopefully willing to follow reasonable guidelines to make this place better.

Your response has been appreciated so far.... and the responses from others...

Again, on Friday I will have a more detailed summary of what I see or have seen... and make some commentary...

Thank you..

I shall respond to the above tonight. And highlight somethings you mentioned. At this moment, I haven't the time. This board needs a lot of cleaning up and work. There are major issues with what you have brought up. Some of your grievances are justified, but in some ways other posters believe you bring some problems to yourself with your style. Again, I will address what others are saying and what you are saying shortly....

EnRICO

Last edited by Enrico Palazzo on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrico Palazzo wrote:
There are major issues with what you have brought up.

Some of your grievances are justified, but in ... some ways ... other posters believe ... you bring some "problems to yourself"

... with your ... "style".

Again, I will address what others are saying and what you are saying shortly ....

i didn't realize our being here was supposed to be popularity contest.

Whether people love what i post, or hate it ... frankly i could less.

One thing you be rest assured, however, it that i will ALWAYS be frank & candid.

Metta.

Last edited by igotthisguitar on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
it that i will ALWAYS be frank & candid

Too bad you are the only one who believes that.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enrico Palazzo wrote:
Okay, now to attend to your post, but not just specifically to you, IGOT. Do you have a nickname, by the way, like guitar?

You can call me Rico or Enrico.

Hi Rico ...

Is that your REAL name or something closer to a covert code handle? Wink

You can just call me IGTG.

Quote:
You mentioned viciousness on the forum and bullying. I take it, you may feel bullied for your views. I am sure all posters have the right to civility, but it would also call for the said person wanting civility to act in a civil way in terms of not using vulgarity or for example ... spelling America thus - Amerika.

The spelling of America that way is derogatory for some Americans just as somewhat.

Actually i spell America BOTH ways.

Depends on the context & gist of my thoughts, intent etc.

To go so far as to call it vulgar is absurd.

Kanada? Corea? Kambodia? CAN-U-S-ex-ICO?

Anyone reading this feeling "offended" yet? My apologies.

Now if one was to type: "Fuc*kin America can go to hell!!" ( or something along these lines ) ... i would more strictly concur Laughing

Quote:
You were called a nazi in a forum. It is a bit too far, but ... you had some derogatory cartoons beforehand. It doesn't help.
These kinds of exchanges are not what the forum needs.

I do, however, exhort the mates on this board to restrain from being vicious with you, and I ask you to consider and be mindful of what you post as well.

Truth be known ( do a serch for IGTG's posts ) i'm confident you'll find i generally try to be civil & good-humoured
( even when e.g. "personally" attacked ).

"Derogatory" cartoons? Care to share? Offer a little more substantive context?

Mohammed as a stick man?

Thanks to the same one or two delusional "brick wall" reactionaries, IGTG has been referred to as a "Nazi" countless times on Dave's ESL Laughing

Does that make it true? Simple logic tells us "no", of course not.

Truth be known, i'd much rather be known as someone who sought to "become" a Buddhist ( or Buddha ).

For his part, Hitler utterly despised Buddhism Idea

Oh yes, i'm also kinda "ticked" that they did a very well-calculated "hijacking" number on the word ARYAN, as well as the venerable swastika.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Seems to have been effective in helping to "BAMBOOZLE" a non-critical post WW2 western audience.

You live in Korea, yes? Seen a few swastikas? Lots of Nazis living in Korea?

Reality is, it is a Buddhist symbol that was usurped.

Verily, Buddha was an "Aryan" prince, hence the 4 Ariyas ( i.e. NOBLE ) truths.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arya

re: personal attacks, i've noticed that some people who, while strongly opposing other posters' views & positions, are consistently more civil than others. Then, there's the motely crue of Dave's constantly rude "flaming" jerks.

*shrugs*

i simply try not to let myself get dragged down to such a base level.

Either way, i take it to be a reflection of one's more "general" character Idea

Quote:
Back to the argument you just made, you brought up a percentage initially, but since "you do not really know" ... the percentage it didn't help an argumentation.

If per your argument the majority of Israeli Jews were non-European, it would make them look, in your eyes, illegitimate ... as non-Semites ... as you view them.

Think you have this backwards Shocked

My understanding is that the vast majority of Israelis ARE of European descent ( i.e. Kazhar / Ashkenazis ), their forefathers 8th century Muslim converts, & hence strictly non-"semitic".

A prime reason why, constantly playing the anti-"semitic" canard is, among other things, both intellectually dishonest, as well as morally offensive.

Quote:
However, Israel since the 1970s has become mostly non-European ... according to many demographers. I read about that before. That is how the Likud became powerful. Labour alienated the Sephardic population and Begin became prime minister in the 1980s as a result.

Israel has had many Sephardic ministers, I believe.

Thanks for the link. Yes, apparently many Sephardic minsters hav served in high ranks of the Israeli gov't.

As with most of Israel's leaders, Begin was a major terrorist wasn't he?

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with debating that you feel the Palestinians or whatever group on this Earth are being treated unjustly.

You may feel they were dispossessed or what have you, but it doesn't give license to ignore statistics that "may" show the majority of Israelis since the 1970s are non-European, though it may have changed with the recent Russian influx.

I am just saying the methodology seemed quite propagandistic.

May show? Whose statistics? "Recent" Russian influx? Who are the Khazars?

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics."

Benjamin D-israeli

Quote:
As far as the Ashkenazis, I am not debating the merits or demerits of their leadership. If you read about them beyond what is surface, you would know it traces to the Jews who lived in Germany, not the ones from Russia who were Khazaric.

European Jews are a mixture of Sephardic Jews who mixed with Khazars, Rhineland German non Khazar Jews.

Have you read Arthur Koestler's 13th Tribe?

http://www.eaec.org/bookstore/books/13th_tribe.htm

http://www.ask.com/web?qsrc=167&o=0&l=dir&q=13th+tribe+arthur+koestler

btw - who is NOT a "jew"? Why? What makes them different? IS this not "discrimination"? Also, why such special "kid-glove" treatment for anyone who self-identifies as such, whether through religious affiliation or ( REAL or imagined ) ancestral blood ties?

When did the term "jew" first enter the English language? Shakespeare ( i.e. Francis Bacon ), MERCHANT OF VENICE, yes?

Wouldn't it more accurate to say "Hebrew"?

re: semit-ism, for the sake of argument, let's say it actually "exists" in a manner which is more tangible than a merely abstract
( and all-too far-fetched ) intellectual concept.

Anti can thus only ever be "bad", while pro is of course always "good"

Looking at it from this perspective, the game & its outcome indeed seems quite "fixed" from the start.

Has noone here not ever heard of ( or read ) George Orwell's famous essay?

POLITICS & THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE (1946)
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/orwell46.htm

Quote:
(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never us a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.
Idea

Quote:
You mentioned the mistreatment of non-Ashkenazi Jews.

Historically, there was mistreatment of these people like the taking away of the Sephardic children in the 1950s from their families, throwing away the blood of Ethiopian Jews etc ...

However, you didn't really acknowledge their heavy numbers until they were mentioned.

Rolling Eyes

Quote:
If you say you are for human dignity and rights, should you not try to show what is out there in a balanced way and not just seeking to satisfy some egoic satisfaction tied to scoring political points?

Like most people i always try to do my best, based upon my understanding. I am NOT an authority, & can simply go on what conclusions reason, reading and the like has led me to.

Political points? You mean there's an election underway? Wink

Quote:
This also applies to other people.... I am not for bashing you, and you are welcome if you are willing as others are hopefully willing to follow reasonable guidelines to make this place better.

Enrico, while not much of one for political "correctness", i almost always try to be "reasonable".

Thank-you for your seemingly sincere & candid efforts.

igtg.
Plain Meaning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think anti-semitism is on the rise. This may be a bit anecdotal, but it is appearing in people who would have denounced it only a decade before.

Justin Hale wrote:
Good God, here he goes again, same old topic, same old arm-waving. This board contains some of the most pathetic riff-raff ever to have graduated from a Western university and does nothing to dispel my notion that those folks in hagwons are naught but filth, by and large.

Once again, IGTG, here's the dictionary definition of antisemitism: discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews [Origin: 1880�85].

Here are the possible meanings of semite:

1. a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
2. a Jew.
3. a member of any of the peoples descended from Shem, the eldest son of Noah.

Here's the dictionary definition of anti-Americanism: opposed or hostile to the United States of America, its people, its principles, or its policies.

Here are the possible meanings of American:

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.
2. of or pertaining to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.
3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.

So, to be anti-American is not to be anti-Canadian nor anti-Mexican. To be antisemitic is not to be anti-Arab, anti-anything but anti-Jewish. Why should we all overthrow the meanings of words just to satisfy fringe, unemployable, dope-smoking UFO freaks?

In short, your point is an absolute joke of a point and every time I whup your ass on this topic, you come back with more of the exact same, a memory problem likely the result of excessive alcohol and cannabis-use.

Whatever happened to Justin Hale?

Justin Hale wrote:
We decided that antisemite was our word for anti-Jew despite the fact there are non-Jewish semites. We decided anti-American was our word for those who hate the US despite the fact that Chileans, Brazilians, Canadians, Mexicans and Peruvians are Americans. I see no reason at all to overthrow our words because they are opposed by anti-Jewish hagwon muppets and I certainly refuse to discuss the matter and not discuss the problems of antisemitism and anti-Americanism which are of significantly greater importance.

Ya-Ta Boy wrote:

Why not be up-front about it for once, IGTG? Tell us why you are anti-semitic. Don't hide behind your silly links. You. Just you and your words. Why do you hate/fear them so much?

Y'know, one of the most satisfying aspects to being an unwavering supporter of Israel no matter what its atrocities is who the position pisses off.....(a) Muslims, (b) lefties, (c) X-Files freaks.

I wonder.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: