Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Korea a better option than China?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

This issue is not a simple black-and-white issue. This is because in China, not all "hagwons" are the same. Some offer accommodation. Some don't. And it also depends where you are. Korean hagwons seem to offer more similar pay and conditions, but again, the reality on the ground may differ a great deal. To be blunt about this, the ESL industry in both countries can be dodgy. The U.S. Embassy website carries a govt. warning in both countries for good reason.
Many of us know of cases where teachers came to Korea full of hope only to end up regretting it bitterly. A friend of mine did a midnight run and a second midnight run in China! He might have been one of those people-them who need the comforts of home.
I taught high school in Korea and in China. The job in Korea was less stressful, although it was in 3 technical high schools, than the job in China. This job was my second teaching job in Beijing. The students loved me. They were intelligent and really grateful, and the Chinese staff said I was getting previously apathetic kids excited about English. Wow! But I was working for a recruiter-not just the school. I also had to pay rent-an increasing problem in China. You don't pay key money, but if your rent is say $550 US, in Beijing you will pay $2200 when you move in, and $1650 2 months later. Nobody told me it was like this! But details like this seriously matter.
So based on those 2 jobs, I'd say Korea is better. However, I am talking about Beijing, where the authorities are now VERY demanding.
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough call. I moved to Seoul back in 93, but I already had a major in Korean under my belt so the move just seemed to make sense. There weren't that many foreigners over here and work was abundant and well paid (on the side, not the hagwons). Even by the late 90s, we were making as much or more at university jobs than many make today. Obviously things have changed here.

If I were doing it all over again? Probably China, and I would have studied some of the language at university prior to heading over.

If I had to give anyone advice now, I'd say get certified in 3D printing, too. E and SE Asian countries are dumping buckets of coin into 3D printing education.

If you could combine that with ESL, might be a pretty nice income, plus it'd be something you could do if you ever wanted to roll back into your home country.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
This issue is not a simple black-and-white issue. This is because in China, not all "hagwons" are the same. Some offer accommodation. Some don't. And it also depends where you are. Korean hagwons seem to offer more similar pay and conditions, but again, the reality on the ground may differ a great deal. To be blunt about this, the ESL industry in both countries can be dodgy. The U.S. Embassy website carries a govt. warning in both countries for good reason.
Many of us know of cases where teachers came to Korea full of hope only to end up regretting it bitterly. A friend of mine did a midnight run and a second midnight run in China! He might have been one of those people-them who need the comforts of home.
I taught high school in Korea and in China. The job in Korea was less stressful, although it was in 3 technical high schools, than the job in China. This job was my second teaching job in Beijing. The students loved me. They were intelligent and really grateful, and the Chinese staff said I was getting previously apathetic kids excited about English. Wow! But I was working for a recruiter-not just the school. I also had to pay rent-an increasing problem in China. You don't pay key money, but if your rent is say $550 US, in Beijing you will pay $2200 when you move in, and $1650 2 months later. Nobody told me it was like this! But details like this seriously matter.
So based on those 2 jobs, I'd say Korea is better. However, I am talking about Beijing, where the authorities are now VERY demanding.

Beijing and Shanghai are VERY expensive if you are paying the rent.

For those that aren't aware, if you are footing the bill, you are expected to pay essentially 4 months rent up front: the deposit and rent for the next 3 months. That really shocked me when I first got here as it was a of money to put up before even seeing a paycheck. Initially, it wasn't until month 4 that I was in the black from the costs of getting myself and my family here.

I was lucky and got privates pretty soon after and I was charging 300RMB an hour for those.

Also you are right that it all depends where you work and your qualifications.

IMO if you are a 4 year degree holder and not much more, don't expect to get paid a lot unless you luck out. If you have a B.Ed or MA or both, that's when you can make some bigger coin and get more opportunities.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/overall-full-list
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: