Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Original diploma or notarized copy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lizara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of people have already asked, but I didn't see an answer... is it possible to get copies of your degree notarized in Korea?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizara wrote:
A couple of people have already asked, but I didn't see an answer... is it possible to get copies of your degree notarized in Korea?

notarized - possibly

BUT

embassy certified for immigration purposes = NO.
Lizara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean whatever it is they want in order for it to be accepted instead of my original degree.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizara wrote:
I mean whatever it is they want in order for it to be accepted instead of my original degree.

no, it can only be done in your home country.
Lizara

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lame... but thanks for answering the question at last, ttompatz. you rock.
dogshed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine via Fedex in the US. I suppose you could ship the degree
to your designated consulate regardless of where you live.

I left my original with my mother in the US so she can ship it to
Chicago if needed.
mirage

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Chicago if needed.

When you say you "did yours via Fedex", does that mean Fedex made + shipped certified copies for you? And this is acceptable for the ministry of Education in Korea? I have an F-4 visa, so I'm not sure if any diploma requirements are different.

I interviewed with CDI and was told I need my original diploma.

Thanks Jeff!

UPDATE: I had my diploma shipped to me.

Last edited by mirage on Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirage wrote:
Quote:

Chicago if needed.

When you say you "did yours via Fedex", does that mean Fedex made + shipped certified copies for you? And this is acceptable for the ministry of Education in Korea? I have an F-4 visa, so I'm not sure if any diploma requirements are different.

I've interviewed with CDI and am deciding whether or not to work there, but the interviewer keeps emphasizing that I need my original degree. Of course, I'm already IN Korea and my original degree is back in the states with my parents... what would you recommend I do? Could I have my parents ship it to me, and then I can get it "certified" here in Korea so that I don't have to give my original to anyone?

Thanks Jeff!

F4 = you do NOT need to have it certified.

Certification is an immigration requirement for E2 visa applications, NOT for employment purposes. Your person at CDI is being a nuisance.

Just get your parents to scan it and e-mail it to you or get some color copies made at the local copy shop and mail them to you.
dogshed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirage wrote:
Quote:

Chicago if needed.

I've interviewed with CDI and am deciding whether or not to work there, but the interviewer keeps emphasizing that I need my original degree. Of course, I'm already IN Korea and my original degree is back in the states with my parents... what would you recommend I do? Could I have my parents ship it to me, and then I can get it "certified" here in Korea so that I don't have to give my original to anyone?

Thanks Jeff!

I'll defer to ttom on the F-4 requirements. What I meant was that I called the Chicago consulate, verified that they are the correct consulate, and shipped the necessary documents, payment, and return shipping label
to them. I had 3 copies shipped to myself for future use and gave one
copy to my recruiter. Extra copies are cheap and it means you have freedom.
Norith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the 'rules changing.' I recently went to the Korean Consulate in Atlanta, Georgia and they will NOT certify degrees anymore. From what I was able to gather, as of July '07, Korea has finally agreed to the terms of the Hague Conference, which created an international standard for notarizing documents. You have to go to a superior court clerk and have an apostille attached to your degree (which means it has to be notarized first....though depending on which Superior Court Clerk you go to, they might require that you use their notary form). It's an easy process and most countries accepted the Hague conventions a long time ago....though my degree could certainly have been a fake, since neither the notary public nor the court clerk looked at my actual degree to confirm that the copy was an accurate copy (which of course it was/is...I'm just upset at having lugged it around to 3 different locations for no reason).

I later received word that the immigration office that my school applied to would only accept a) original degrees or b) copies certified by a korean consulate. Fortunately for me, they quickly revoked their statement and said that the copy I'd provided would be fine.

Just wanted to let you guys know so that you don't send your original off to a consulate only to have it rejected.
dimnd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: certified copies Reply with quote

had ten copies certified by the consulate in CA last winter...after notarized by my bank with a state seal...cost 2 bucks a page..but that left me a lot of copies...glad I got those when I did.
Draz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha? That would make it easier but... I went to the recently updated website of the Vancouver consulate and it didn't say anything about not needing it notarized there. It did say it had to be notarized TWICE which is what I was going to ask about.

Quote:
Before a visa application is submitted, a copy of the applicant�s degree notarized by the Consulate might be required to obtain a visa issuance number. In this case, the required items are as follows:

� Original university degree
A photocopy of university degree which has been notarized by a notary public (each copy must be notarized)
� One sealed university transcipt
� Notarization fee of Cdn $2.20/document (effective October 1, 2007 [how I know it's been recently updated]) (cash or money orders only)
� A copy of the applicant�s passport and an Xpresspost return envelope (by mail)

Madness! Welcome to Korea?
Adahma

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Diploma Reply with quote

Will American universities send another copy of my diploma so I can have an extra and keep my original?
MiniMoonks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Diploma Reply with quote

Adahma wrote:
Will American universities send another copy of my diploma so I can have an extra and keep my original?

I've thought about asking my university about this but I haven't done so yet. You'll need to ask your specific university but some members have done so on this board but it took them more then 4 months to get a copy diploma.
sojourner1

Location: Where meggi swim and 2 wheeled tractors go sput put chug alugg pug pug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, American university registrar offices will produce another original copy of your diploma.

I got an extra one last year for $10 just in case I lose one while applying for a job. It's supposed to only take 2 weeks, but after 4 weeks I had to nudge the lady in charge of processing them who stated she was having personal problems who then apologized and sent it immediately.

Luckily I applied for it a couple months before leaving for Korea. Always anticipate slow downs in paper work processing even if it states 5 to 10 business days. I always had to call all these office people to nudge them to do their jobs over the years on a number of things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: