Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

doorway chin-up bar. where can I buy one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redaxe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hightop wrote:
Off on a bit of a tangent but anyway. How many chin ups or pull ups can a normal fit guy do? In my gym few people do them. A couple of korean guys do sets of 5-7 with the help of a trainer lifting their torso and one strong guy does sets of 10 with no help. What is normal? Or what is good, something to work towards?

It really depends on how much you weigh. Total strength increases along with your body mass, but your strength to body mass ratio tends to decrease your body mass increases. So body weight exercises are way easier for small people.

I'm 190cm and 90kg. I'm a pretty fit 25 year-old guy, but I'm not really all that strong for my weight. When I do pullups I try to do 3 sets of 10 with a minute of rest in between. I can usually only do 7 or 8 reps by the third set.

If I had the same build but were a few inches shorter (and therefore lighter) I'd be able to do a lot more pullups.
SeoulMan99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hightop wrote:
Off on a bit of a tangent but anyway. How many chin ups or pull ups can a normal fit guy do? In my gym few people do them. A couple of korean guys do sets of 5-7 with the help of a trainer lifting their torso and one strong guy does sets of 10 with no help. What is normal? Or what is good, something to work towards?

The average guy probably can't even do 5 proper pull-ups because most people never do them, or they have terrible form and don't go all the way down or all the way up. They're an extremely good exercise for strength. I weigh 225lbs (102kgs) and I can do about 15 pull-ups (palms facing away from body) where you start at a dead hang and bring the bottom of your neck to the bar and then to a dead hang. My weight keeps me from doing more at this point, though I'm increasing. A good goal is to work up to doing a max of at least 20 pull-ups(palms away) or chin ups (palms towards you). Pull-ups work your back more, while chin-ups work your biceps more.

Google either the Armstrong pull-up program or the Recon Ron pull-up program. Both are free and both will get you where you want to be. Add dips and push-ups and you will be amazed at what weight bearing exercise can do for fitness and strength.

* Edit: Don't be discourage man if it takes you a while or if you can barely do them with proper form. When I first started I could only do a few because simply I'm just a big guy, but I worked at it over a few months and I've seen a big improvement. You have to get on a program and be consistent. I did the Armstrong program.

Last edited by SeoulMan99 on Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 am; edited 1 time in total
The Gipkik

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These ones have many positive testimonials. The site sells some of the best fitness equipment in the business. And I believe they will send them to Korea. And these pullup handles are a very special breed. You can travel anywhere with them. They're called Power Up Chin Ups. Check it out:
http://www.lifelineusa.com/en/products/powr-chin?section=all-products
husker16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I weigh 225lbs (102kgs) and I can do about 15 pull-ups

That is really good.
SeoulMan99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

husker16 wrote:
Quote:
I weigh 225lbs (102kgs) and I can do about 15 pull-ups

That is really good.

Thanks. I hope it didn't come across as a look what I can do. I just mean to show that with hard work you can get pretty good at pull-ups despite whatever (weight, etc) obstacles. I have to admit it took me a few months to get to this. When I first started I could only get 3!
husker16

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope it didn't come across as a look what I can do

Not at all. I'm only 180 and I do 3x5, although I just got back into lifting after taking 3 months off.
SeoulMan99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

husker16 wrote:
Quote:
I hope it didn't come across as a look what I can do

Not at all. I'm only 180 and I do 3x5, although I just got back into lifting after taking 3 months off.

Try this workout : http://www.military.com/military-fitness/fitness-test-prep/pullup-push-workout

It works pretty well. Something I use to do also is sets of pull-ups and push-ups throughout the day. Find out what your max is and do sets periodically of 50-60% of your max.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: