Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TIME TO CONFESS!! Who pulled a midnight run?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you run away?
No way! I'm a lean, mean contract-obeying machine!
12%
 12%  [ 13 ]
Things would have to be REALLY bad.
36%
 36%  [ 38 ]
Only if they left me no choice.
23%
 23%  [ 24 ]
Some days I'm tempted.
14%
 14%  [ 15 ]
What?! I can't hear you way back there!
13%
 13%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 104

Mr. Literal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran from my second position in Korea (finished the first). My reasons for leaving were pretty typical: numerous contract violations, flat-out lies, director was a real scumbag. I had problems at my first job, but was always able to work out some sort of solution. Not always happy there, but the first position was bearable. The second job, though--I think the guy was going for the jerkface of the year award.
canuckistan
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would never pull a runner if things got stupid. That would deny me the satisfaction of walking into the director's office, horrifying him, and then leaving. Twisted Evil
justagirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked 2 contracts, and am on my 3rd. Haven't run, don't plan to ever. I gave my word. If things went wrong, I'd head to the Labor Board rather than leaving.

That said, at my last school there were only 2 foreign workers, me and another girl. She did a MR (not the hakwon's fault--she wasn't cut out for living away from mommie), and guess who got stuck with all the extra work? Uh huh. Me. Those were not fun days at the hakwon.

justagirl
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justagirl wrote:
That said, at my last school there were only 2 foreign workers, me and another girl. She did a MR (not the hakwon's fault--she wasn't cut out for living away from mommie), and guess who got stuck with all the extra work? Uh huh. Me. Those were not fun days at the hakwon.

Evil or Very Mad
Ugh! That sucks when that happens. I've been in the same situation twice now. Both times at what I would consider to be good hagwons.
For a month or so you have twice the number of students in each class, have to work an extra couple of hours a day all because some little crybaby couldn't deal with living in another country. The way I look at it is if a person runs without a legitimate breach of their contract occuring then they're no better than the scumbag schools on all the blacklists.
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

posco's trumpet wrote:
The rigidity of Korean immigration law is anachronistic, authoritarian and self-defeating (in a typically Korean way), but if you need to run, you are an idiot, a loser, a weakling, or all three.

If you manage to get stuck in a painful, hateful job and are unable to get yourself out it diplomatically, improve the situation or accept some difficulty, then you need serious help in the life-skills department.

Because everyone should have the same social grace as ou and because if YOU can do it then ANYONE can.

Is that the case?

If so then you have a serious issue with not caring about other people and not being able to understand that in some hagwons they bait you in and then BS you the whole damn 12 months.

What you are saying is that many posters on this board "are an idiot, a loser, a weakling, or all three."

Is that what you are saying?
alamuerte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:42 am    Post subject: midnight run Reply with quote

Mr. Literal
I believe your contribution-limited though it was-is closer
to the intent of the original post, rather than an ethical
discussion of the propiety of the midnight run.
Can you give more detail to your actual departure from
that school, and especially the consequences.
alamuerte

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: midnight run Reply with quote

soory - that should read " propriety "
The Man known as The Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
I would never pull a runner if things got stupid. That would deny me the satisfaction of walking into the director's office, horrifying him, and then leaving. Twisted Evil

Would you ask him if his mother is the love of his life and them make him cry like a baby?
posco's trumpet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by posco's trumpet on Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mr. Literal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: midnight run Reply with quote

alamuerte wrote:
Mr. Literal
I believe your contribution-limited though it was-is closer
to the intent of the original post, rather than an ethical
discussion of the propiety of the midnight run.
Can you give more detail to your actual departure from
that school, and especially the consequences.

Not sure what details you want, but I, like so many others (I'm sure), called the airline 3-4 days prior to my run and scheduled a flight home. I intended to leave on a Saturday, but all the planes were booked and the earliest I got was a Sunday afternoon flight.

Arrived at Incheon International, went through immigration and handed them my ARC, and was on my way.

That's about it.

The school I left: Kwak's English Country in Shiheung City. The director/owner's name was Stefan (can't remember his family name).

As far as consequences, I don't know. I plan to return to Korea, but not for at least another year, maybe longer.
katydid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The absolute number one thing that would get me to say goodbye to a school, and I am a member of the finish what you started club is if I rarely got paid. I'm not talking a few days late, I'm talking about something like every other month, or 6 weeks or something like that. Also, if my living conditions were a pit, I would be very tempted to flee.
Saying "This job sucks!" wouldn't be enough for me...at every job I've had there have been days or weeks at a time where I was stressed beyond my mind. I've always then been of the mind that it would get better.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I gave my word. If things went wrong, I'd head to the Labor Board rather than leaving.

Thats very noble, but it hardly ever accomplishes anything from what I've been able to gather. Plus, you're not the only one who gave their word. It's a two-way street.
The Marchioness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok! I confess already! Jeez!

Yes, did the runner; no, no consequences.

Yes, came back; still no consequences; however, before coming back I made sure that I got my visa in Canada. Sneaky, but had to be done.

TM
rawiri

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does this sound?,

if you are planning on doing a runner because the director has been really fucking you over then book a flight for some time during the week, an hour or so before the flight pack up your stuff and chuck it in a taxi, race round to your institute and pay your director a little "visit".

Storm into the office and start throwing everything around, if possible beat the crap out of him (if its a him, not advisable if its a her) really *beep* the office up, but be aware that you probably need to keep all this under 10 minutes before the boys in blue show.

then just jump in your cab, get through immigration and your away.

ok so its a little dramatic, but if you are owed a substantial amount of money and it is obvious that you arent going to get it back, then what the *beep*, i say justice prevails!!!!!!!!!

p.s not advisable if you ever want to enter rok again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: