Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check now -UPDATED
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewok

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHANE02 wrote:
Teachers in Korea having to return home for an interview is insane. But IT IS NOT DEFINITE YET that this will happen. It it does, the schools will pay. They will have to, if they want teachers.

So if this rule is made a reality it wont last long.

no they won't. they'll just hire replacement people directly from abroad, and not even offer to renew contracts.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ewok wrote:
they'll just hire replacement people directly from abroad, and not even offer to renew contracts.

For the life of me, I can't see what this "return home for an interview at your nearest consulate" business is actually expected to accomplish. Is it just a plan to stop all the sex-crazed foreigners going on sex tours to SE Asia between contracts?
Mosley

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini: yep, you nailed it! That's the REAL reason for sending us home! Wink

About the police checks: Look, Canada has had a computerized system for freakin' years known by the acronym CPIC. In my hometown a local cop, with your ID, can do a CC check on you from his PATROL CAR.

In the winter, I went to the local cop shop, paid 25 bucks and had the criminal check docs. in 3 business days. Criminal check ONLY from the RCMP? Horsehockey. But maybe the "most wired nation on earth" can't twig on to this!
slothrop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by slothrop on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Yesterday

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449

(much more factual and reliable than the troll-rumors that "John Kerry" published in the Korean Herald)...

It says here - that

(1) Teachers can still apply to get your police checks (here in Korea) and have them sent here from your homecountry -
(2) The medical + drug test CAN be done here in Korea
(3) Teachers can still go to JAPAN to get their visa....

(To BE ANNOUNCED BY THE GOVERNMENT ON DECEMBER 07th - and WILL TAKE EFFECT FROM DECEMBER 15th)

December 03, 2007
the Justice Ministry has announced that starting in less than two weeks foreigners who teach English will be required to provide their criminal record and undergo a medical checkup to renew or receive a visa.

.... Many embassies here have already announced they cannot or will not conduct such a service....

THEREFORE - APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

.....In addition, people who are found to have committed a felony, have drugs in their system, a dangerous infectious disease, such as HIV, or a drug or alcohol addiction will have their visa canceled, the Justice Ministry said in a release .

GOOD !!

The new rules here will also require new applicants for an English teaching visa, called an E-2 visa, to undergo an interview at the Korean consulate closest to the town in which they live, the Justice Ministry announced.

THIS IS ONLY FOR NEWBIE TEACHERS WHO ARE STILL IN THEIR HOMECOUNTRY..

people who hold an E-2 visa will still be able to apply for the renewal at Korean consulates in a nearby third country, such as Japan or China.

THIS IS FOR THE TEACHERS ALREADY IN KOREA WHO WISH TO RENEW - THERE IS NO NEED TO RETURN HOME TO RENEW YOUR VISA - YOU CAN DO IT HERE AND TAKE A JAPAN-VISA-RUN....

JUST APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry's Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
However, Kim added that so far, none of the embassies here have agreed to provide the service.

"The U.S. Embassy said it will not provide the service, as has the Canadian Embassy," Kim said.

"The principle is that the applicant should go back to his or her country and get a report from the police there," Kim said.

JUST APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

According to the new rules, however, any teacher hired by the Education Ministry who is already employed can skip the criminal record check, according to the release.

With regard to the medical check, an applicant will be required to submit a self-completed form indicating his or her medical history.

Once arriving here, according to the release, the applicants need to go through a mandatory health check, including blood and drug tests, at a clinic or hospital designated by each school or education office.

THE MEDICAL CHECK WILL/CAN BE DONE HERE IN KOREA (NOT YOUR HOMECOUNTRY)...

BASICALLY -

(1) Teachers can still apply to get your police checks (here in Korea) and have them sent here from your homecountry -

SO STOP GET OFF YOUR BUTT - Go to your local police station and pay 20,000won to get your fingerprints - the download the application for for a "Police check" from your countries "Police website" and send it all away with the fee NOW... Your police check should arrive back in February....

I know of a Canadian, and American and an Australia who have already received their POLICE CHECKS - just by sending away for it from HERE - KOREA.... and it ONLY took all three persons 3~4 weeks to get it back....

The American applied for the POLICE CHECK from the California police (his home-state)....

The Canadian sent copies of his documents to his mother in Canada who went into the RCMP and got it for him and sent it to him....

The Australia applied to the Queensland police (his home-state) and only needed to complete one form downloaded from the Qld police web-site and mail it together with a copy of his passport...

I also know another Australia who applied to the Australian FEDERAL police - they have told her it will be back within 6 ~ 8 weeks... (that was 3 weeks ago) - so her police check will be back by the end-of-January - giving her plenty of time to renew her visa in late-February....

Please stop all this... "Oh - I have to return to my homecountry!" "Oh - its impossible for me to get a police check or medical check here - I have to return to my homecountry!"

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY...

Just get the ball rolling now - and you will have everything ready for when your visa expires.....

USA citizens - 5~6 months ( http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm )
Cost - USD$18 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

OR APPLY THROUGH YOUR HOMESTATE (download your application from your home-states police web-site and send it away with the fee (ask your family (backhome) to help you do it) - IT ONLY TAKES 3 ~ 6 WEEKS

Canada - 5~6 months ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm )
Cost - CAN$25 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

OR APPLY THROUGH YOUR HOMESTATE (download your application from your home-states police web-site and send it away with the fee (ask your family (backhome) to help you do it) - IT ONLY TAKES 3 ~ 6 WEEKS

Britain - 5~6 months ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
Applicants can apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Australia - 4 ~ 6 WEEKS - ( http://www.police.qld.gov.au/services/purchase/polcert.htm )
Cost - AUD$41.40 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name only: $41.40 + postage
or
Cost - $146.70 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name and fingerprints: $146.70 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

New Zealand - 4 ~6 WEEKS - ( http://www.justice.govt.nz/privacy/ )

The Korean Herald, many Korean Recruiters (who profit more by recruiting teachers from their home-country - rather than from within Korea) and other foreign teachers who have been reading this website) - have been spreading rumors... that -

You HAVE TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY - to get the police check, medical check, drug check and interview with the consul.......

PLEASE IGNORE THOSE "WORD-OF-MOUTH" RUMORS AND trust the facts that the Korean government will announce on Dec 07th and implement on Dec 15th...

basically...

You DO NOTHAVE TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY - to get the police check, medical check, drug check and interview with the consul.......

(unless you are a complete idiot and cannot arrange from here (in Korea) to have your POLICE-CHECK sent to you here (in Korea)...

Last edited by Yesterday on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:27 am; edited 3 times in total
fruitcake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday wrote:
http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449
It says here - that

(To BE ANNOUNCED BY THE GOVERNMENT ON DECEMBER 07th - and WILL TAKE EFFECT FROM DECEMBER 15th)

December 03, 2007
the Justice Ministry has announced that starting in less than two weeks foreigners who teach English will be required to provide their criminal record and undergo a medical checkup to renew or receive a visa.

.... Many embassies here have already announced they cannot or will not conduct such a service....

THEREFORE - APPLY FOR YOUR POLICE CHECK NOW (FROM KOREA) It ONLY takes 6weeks ~ 12 weeks and you can have it ready - so you WILL NOT NEED TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY !!

.....In addition, people who are found to have committed a felony, have drugs in their system, a dangerous infectious disease, such as HIV, or a drug or alcohol addiction will have their visa canceled, the Justice Ministry said in a release .

GOOD !!

The new rules here will also require new applicants for an English teaching visa, called an E-2 visa, to undergo an interview at the Korean consulate closest to the town in which they live, the Justice Ministry announced.

THIS IS ONLY FOR NEWBIE TEACHERS WHO ARE STILL IN THEIR HOMECOUNTRY..

people who hold an E-2 visa will still be able to apply for the renewal at Korean consulates in a nearby third country, such as Japan or China.

THIS IS FOR THE TEACHERS ALREADY IN KOREA WHO WISH TO RENEW - THERE IS NO NEED TO RETURN HOME TO RENEW YOUR VISA - YOU CAN DO IT HERE AND TAKE A JAPAN-VISA-RUN....

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry's Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
However, Kim added that so far, none of the embassies here have agreed to provide the service.

"The U.S. Embassy said it will not provide the service, as has the Canadian Embassy," Kim said.

"The principle is that the applicant should go back to his or her country and get a report from the police there," Kim said.

According to the new rules, however, any teacher hired by the Education Ministry who is already employed can skip the criminal record check, according to the release.

With regard to the medical check, an applicant will be required to submit a self-completed form indicating his or her medical history.

Once arriving here, according to the release, the applicants need to go through a mandatory health check, including blood and drug tests, at a clinic or hospital designated by each school or education office.

THE MEDICAL CHECK WILL/CAN BE DONE HERE IN KOREA (NOT YOUR HOMECOUNTRY)...

BASICALLY -

SO STOP GET OFF YOUR BUTT - Go to your local police station and pay 20,000won to get your fingerprints - the download the application for for a "Police check" from your countries "Police website" and send it all away with the fee NOW... Your police check should arrive back in February....

I know of a Canadian, and American and an Australia who have already received their POLICE CHECKS - just by sending away for it from HERE - KOREA.... and it ONLY took all three persons 3~4 weeks to get it back....

The American applied for the POLICE CHECK from the California police (his home-state)....

The Canadian sent copies of his documents to his mother in Canada who went into the RCMP and got it for him and sent it to him....

The Australia applied to the Queensland police (his home-state) and only needed to complete one form downloaded from the Qld police web-site and mail it together with a copy of his passport...

I also know another Australia who applied to the Australian FEDERAL police - they have told her it will be back within 6 ~ 8 weeks... (that was 3 weeks ago) - so her police check will be back by the end-of-January - giving her plenty of time to renew her visa in late-February....

Please stop all this... "Oh - I have to return to my homecountry!" "Oh - its impossible for me to get a police check or medical check here - I have to return to my homecountry!"

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO RETURN TO YOUR HOMECOUNTRY...

Just get the ball rolling now - and you will have everything ready for when your visa expires.....

USA citizens - 5~6 months ( http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm )
Cost - USD$18 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Canada - 5~6 months ( http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/crimrec/finger2_e.htm )
Cost - CAN$25 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Britain - 5~6 months ( http://www.crb.gov.uk/ )
Applicants can apply for a subject access reply under the Subject Access Provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. This is accepted by most foreign authorities in the absence of any other facility.
Cost - 10pounds + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

Australia - 4 ~ 6 WEEKS - ( http://www.police.qld.gov.au/services/purchase/polcert.htm )
Cost - AUD$41.40 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name only: $41.40 + postage
or
Cost - $146.70 Police Certificate based on an Australia-wide check
of name and fingerprints: $146.70 + fingerprint fee (Korea?) plus postage

New Zealand - 4 ~6 WEEKS - ( http://www.justice.govt.nz/privacy/ )

thanks for the info!

spare us the commentary
Yesterday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruitcake wrote:

thanks for the info!

spare us the commentary

commentary is needed sometimes....

there are still many teachers out there - who will not understand what I wrote - and still other recruiters and teachers who will spread rumors telling others that they have to go back to their homecountry to get visa, medical etc - when its not needed.... (to go back)....
blurgalurgalurga

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure yesterday's post is probably pretty accurate, but I've received conflicting reports from my local immie thugs. It seems the Korean gov't is more an amalgamation of petty fiefdoms than a consolidated force; certainly, the immigration offices I've dealt with in the past are all very different from each other. While I believe the Justice Dep't believes what it's saying is true, the actual applications of the new laws may be somewhat different from place to place.

I figure there's enough dis and mis information on this site already so I won't mention the specifics of what I was told regarding crim checks and med checks. I just want to point out that the various factions here-consuls, cops, and lawmakers-are not on the same page. Hell, they're not even in the same book.
indytrucks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the apostilisation of the police check? How did they swing that?

And I dunno about you, but having to go to even Japan every time you want to renew is still a huge inconvenience, not to mention cost, especially those with families.
Yesterday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indytrucks wrote:
What about the apostilisation of the police check? How did they swing that?

And I dunno about you, but having to go to even Japan every time you want to renew is still a huge inconvenience, not to mention cost, especially those with families.

Most employers in Korea PAY for the Japan-visa-run... if yours doiesn't quit the job...

and if your does... see it as a nice 2~3 days vacation (away from your family)...
JAWINSEOUL

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mention of Spousal visas being included in this mess?
chachee99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the criminal record check form from the Canadian Embassy and finger prints done on Monday. I will mail it off tomorrow. However, my contract expires at the end of February. What happens if I don't get the results back in time? What is the fastest way to get this out of the way? The RCMP needs the originals and will not accept faxed copies.

If it doesn't come back to me by the my contract expires, will immigration at renew my visa with my employer and provide me with a grace period for the results to come back if I submit proof that these documents are being processed and returned back to me if takes longer than 3 months to arrive back to me?

Last edited by chachee99 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
yingwenlaoshi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see what good it does to apply for your police checks now in many cases. Takes 6 months to get the Canadian one. What good does that do for people who have to renew before that?

No good. That's what. SOL with a paid-for police check coming to no one for nothing.

There's got to be some kind of case-by-case scenario that immi would have to consider.
Yesterday

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chachee99 wrote:
I got the criminal record check form from the Canadian Embassy and finger prints done on Monday. I will mail it off tomorrow. However, my contract expires at the end of February. What happens if I don't get the results back in time? What is the fastest way to get this out of the way? The RCMP needs the originals and will not accept faxed copies.

If it doesn't come back to me by the my contract expires, will immigration at renew my visa with my employer and provide me with a grace period for the results to come back if I submit proof that these documents are being processed and returned back to me if takes longer than 3 months to arrive back to me?

Good on you - you did the right thing... a smart and wise move...

I am aware if you are Canadian and apply through the RCMP or are American and apply through the FBI - the POLICE-Check may take up to 6 months to arrive...

Hopefully, and I am sure - Immigration could give you a grace period, until your Police-check arrives...

Australians and NZ's are luckier - it only takes 6 weeks for a Federal Police check to arrive.....

Hence - if you are Canadian or American - I would apply for both IMMEDIATELY... if your visa is finishing during the next 6~8 months..
That way your "local POLICE-check" would arrive back within 3~4 weeks and you could at least give that to Immigration whilst waiting for your Federal Police-check to arrive...

You should have kept a copy of what you sent to the RCMP and also the receipt from the Post Office - to show Immigration that you have sent it - but it will take until end-of-May / June to arrive back...

In the meantime - I would have send the same thing also to your parents to take into your "local-home-city" police station... because that "Local police-check" should arrive back within 3~4 weeks...

at least you would be able to give Immigration the "local POLICE-CHECK" and ask them for a grace period to wait until the RCMP arives...

Kim Soo-nam, deputy director at the Justice Ministry�s Korean Immigration Service, said the ministry would accept a criminal history report issued by foreign embassies here for the applicant.
Kim said a criminal record check could be obtained from a local police department...............

( http://joongangdaily.joins.com/article/view.asp?aid=2883449 )

yingwenlaoshi wrote:
I don't see what good it does to apply for your police checks now in many cases. Takes 6 months to get the Canadian one. What good does that do for people who have to renew before that?

No good. That's what. SOL with a paid-for police check coming to no one for nothing.

With that kind of attitude - I have no sympathy for you - when your contract finishes and you still will not have even applied for your police-check...

Usually in life - you have to spend a little money in order to make money...

You have already spent time, effort and money on a Uni degree and sealed transcripts... are you telling me you don't see the use in spending a little more to get a Police-check.... and the effort to go apply for it now - so it will be in your hands already for when you need it?

This ORIGINAL Post was published at the END-of-OCTOBER... warning people to get their Police check ordered IMMEDIATELY...

( Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Want to teach in Korea in 2008 - apply for Police Check )

If you had followed my advice and applied back then - that would have given you a 5 week head-start rather than applying today....

However - even applying today is better than sitting around saying "What good is it to apply now?"....
crazy_arcade

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard a rumor that everytime one renews a contract a new criminal record check will be required. Surely, they'll have some sort of database to keep track of this stuff, right?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 10 of 13

Jump to: