Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New E-2 Guidelines????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 76, 77, 78  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotpants

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Korea Herald article, then even E2 renewals will be required to fly back home. This sucks big time and it would put me off coming to Korea again. It's also an insult that E2 visa holders are considered more of a risk to work with children than any other visa category or even any local Korean at that.

Today, I've been reading about Issei Sagawa. For those who don't know his story, he is a Japanese who was studying in France when he killed and ate his Dutch girlfriend. He was sent back to Japan, but his crime wasn't officially accounted for in Japan because it happened in another country. So...what about all the English teachers who have worked overseas for some period of time? Similarly, any 'records' might get overlooked. I have been out of the UK for about 10 years, and unless my police records go through Interpol, which they don't, theoretically, I could still pass a domestic police check and enter Korea even if I had committed some felony in another country.

The new plan to make things 'safer' is totally flawed.
Hank the Iconoclast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
Just to point out to Canadians: getting a police background check takes a whole 5-10 minutes. Even though I have an F-2 visa, I don't want some good job demanding one and not have one in hand. They are easy as pie to get. Any local police station can do it.

You shouldn't need the one that requires fingerprinting. Most jobs in Canada that require back ground checks don't even require that one.

I got a local records check in the US and it took very little time. The problem is that will most likely require something more than that.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
Just to point out to Canadians: getting a police background check takes a whole 5-10 minutes. Even though I have an F-2 visa, I don't want some good job demanding one and not have one in hand. They are easy as pie to get. Any local police station can do it.

You shouldn't need the one that requires fingerprinting. Most jobs in Canada that require back ground checks don't even require that one.

Just to clarify a bit... do you mean local as in Korea or local as in Canada?

I forsee all kinds of problems with this, depending on which police station/ agency one happens to be dealing with. Korean police, Canadian city police, RCMP or other and on the mood/inclination of the person you talk to.

Where did you have yours done exactly? Perhaps we all could flood that particular police station and get ours done as well?

Thanks
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

Local in Korea takes 5-10 minutes. They took my fingerprints.
Local in Canada (regional police) took me 3 (4?) business days. No fingerprints required, just 2 pieces of gov't photo ID.
Local in Canada (RCMP) took me 4.5 months, and required fingerprints.
penguin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: E-2 extension (same job) Reply with quote

Our administration guy just phoned immigration to find out about E-2 extensions (if you are staying at the same job). They told him "there is no plan to change the E-2 visa extension process as of now."
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

Just to clarify a bit... do you mean local as in Korea or local as in Canada?

I forsee all kinds of problems with this, depending on which police station/ agency one happens to be dealing with. Korean police, Canadian city police, RCMP or other and on the mood/inclination of the person you talk to.

Where did you have yours done exactly? Perhaps we all could flood that particular police station and get ours done as well?

Thanks

I mean in Canada. I went to the Niagara Regional Police. I brought two pieces of ID. They do a national search. I called the OPP/RCMP they told me they only do it in areas where there is no municipal/regional police. The end result is exactly the same.

Took 5-10mins. Cost $40.

I don't see why it would take days, these days police in Canada are all hooked into the same system and they just put your name through the search.
PhD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:

I don't see why it would take days, these days police in Canada are all hooked into the same system and they just put your name through the search.

And therein lies the problem. If you have a common name, then your name may have a criminal record that has nothing to do with you. Fingerprints are the most efficacious way to get it done.

In my situation, not only is my name common, (with about 10 different spellings and an infinite number of combinations) but my social number is nearly the same as that of several other people with the same name.

I've had my medical records mixed up with someone else's at three hospitals!
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhD wrote:
Mr. Pink wrote:

And therein lies the problem. If you have a common name, then your name may have a criminal record that has nothing to do with you. Fingerprints are the most efficacious way to get it done.

In my situation, not only is my name common, (with about 10 different spellings and an infinite number of combinations) but my social number is nearly the same as that of several other people with the same name.

I've had my medical records mixed up with someone else's at three hospitals!

They also use your address(es)...depending how long you have lived where you have lived. They asked me, since my Canadian address has been my parents for 10years they didn't need any others. Other people who were getting it done had to give more than one address if they lived at a place less than xxx years.

Fingerprints are a hassle, also costs more money to do it. It is still same day at the police station I went to, but like 20-25 dollars more.

The thing I really have to wonder is this: the hardcore pervs out there who come to Korea don't seem to be getting their jollies in their home country. It is countries like Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam that feed their addictions.

So a criminal background check from the home country isn't always going to catch such pervs.

Oh yeah, another thing I wondered: are there really that many pot smoking foreigners in Korea?

Now those that do: I don't see the difference between getting high in your spare time, or going on Soju binges that leave street pizza all over the place. Kind of like the kettle calling the pot black as it were.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Pink wrote:
I don't see why it would take days,

I don't either, and I got my check through the same regional police as you. Mine still took days. And why would an RCMP check take 4 months?
Typhoon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: E-2 extension (same job) Reply with quote

penguin wrote:
Our administration guy just phoned immigration to find out about E-2 extensions (if you are staying at the same job). They told him "there is no plan to change the E-2 visa extension process as of now."

Daejeon immigration said that there will be no changes on Dec 1. They said they want to have changes in place by then, but it will not happen because laws have to be changed and with the national election coming it will not be possible to get them changed (maybe all the leaked info. was an election ploy). They also said if there is a new gov't they may not even want to go through with the changes or want to alter the propsed changes. They said the changes may come, but in the distant future if at all. They told this to a hagwon that called to find out what was happening as they were worried about teacher resignings and new visas. I got this information second hand so it may or may not be credible. I think the bottom line is no one knows what is going to happen come Dec 1. We will just have to wait and see. Fun, fun, fun!!!
Whistleblower

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korea sparkling!

Digitalise your life!

(BS is) The Hub of Korea!
halfmanhalfbiscuit

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "tough on foreigners" political granstanding and will never see the light of day.There's an election in a mere 5 weeks,it won't be implemented by then and will die it's deserved quick death.
some waygug-in

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you're right, but I wonder how many wayguks they will jerk around in the mean time.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some waygug-in wrote:
I hope you're right, but I wonder how many wayguks they will jerk around in the mean time.

Everyone renewing and getting new visas in December. Everyone is taking a wait-and-see attitude, so people at the end of their contracts will get screwed somehow, even it's only with expensive last minute flights home.
cardigan bay

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: new E2 visa regulations Reply with quote

It really is all rumour so far. The Immigration hotline told me that even if the regs change it wouldn't apply to me as I am already in the country but I took that with a grain of salt too. Someone was asking where Purple Crayon got her specific details about the changes. I got an identical letter from a recruiting company who are taking the rumours very seriously.
We all know that things can change suddenly here and there may not be a straightforward communication of those changes to the people most affected. Hopefully though some sort of clear communication will come from Immigration soon. I am not holding my breath. I always expect a bit of chaos in Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 76, 77, 78  Next
Page 5 of 78

Jump to: