Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my rights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traveling_gypsy_tara

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:13 am    Post subject: What are my rights? Reply with quote

Hello, I have looked through many forums but can't seem to find anything that is specific about my situation. So if anyone had ideas that would be great.
1. I live in an apartment with my boss and his family. (long story)
2. I recently asked for him to provide me with my own studio apartment (my contract states that if no studio is available that a room in my bosses apartment will be provided, I know that studios are available because we live in a newly built city with many empty apartments).
3. Was informed that he was in the process of selling the academy.
4. New owners do not want to pay for housing since they will be changing to an all high school academy and will not need me as a teacher. They want me to stay with my old boss, which he says is ok.
5. Recently I have been verbally abused by my boss and feel very uncomfortable living in the apartment with them.
6. Can I legally work for the new boss? Do I need to transfer my visa?

I have found another job but doesn't start until January. My last working day will be the 22nd.

My question is what is my legal standing, can I demand an apartment? and form who? If I leave because they don't get me an apartment who is breaking the contract? Who do I have sign my LOR, my old boss or the new boss? I believe my visa is connected to the person and not the academy. Do I need to sign a new contract with the new boss? They have promised me a LOR but at this point, I don't trust them anymore so if I go to transfer my visa to my new school do I need the LOR? or because he no longer is the owner of the school and it has a new name does that make my contract void and I can just transfer my visa without the LOR?

Thanks any information would be helpful.
Mr Lee's Monkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your visa is connected to the academy and contract of the boss with whom you have been living. If you work for the new boss, you are required to sign a new contract with him. You are currently tied to your old bosses business, since he cannot hire you to work for him personally. Get yourself a letter of release from the old boss, convert to a D10 visa, look into a short term place to stay (friend, goshiwon), and find yourself a new job (not with either of the entities you've mentioned). Good luck and sorry about the abuse. Get that LOR and get the hell outta there.
traveling_gypsy_tara

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I received a post-dated LOR from my old boss and will be renting my own rooms until Jan 2, at which time I will start my new job. I have also agreed to 'stay on' until December 22. So everything worked out!
Milwaukiedave

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will echo what Mr. Lee's Monkey stated. In the long-term you will be much happier with a fresh start. I advise you to read the contract carefully and to feel free to ask someone to review it before you sign it. You need to know what the minimum package is for South Korea (apartment, health care, pension, etc.) and that those things are included in the contract. Don't let anyone try to talk you out of them. If they do, don't walk away...run. There are always recruiters or hagwons that will lie to you and tell you that you don't need this or that. They are simply trying to save money to enrich themselves and you are screwing yourself out of what you should be getting (in addition to your salary).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: