Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CDR's VS I POD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:50 am    Post subject: CDR's VS I POD Reply with quote

Just a curious thought.

ok so there I am driving in my car, I reach for my Cd collection of about 20 burnt cds and say to myself, damn I need to burn more cds..
Space is limited in the car and I cant be bothered carried around 200 cds like some of my friends have..
so I was thinking. DAMN the Apple IPOD can hold 30gigs of music..
thats about 7000 songs,, 300 albums..
just carry that small device with me connect it to my car stereo and BOBS my uncle!

so the question is people..
are we going to see an early end to CDR'S??
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: CDR's VS I POD Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
Just a curious thought.

ok so there I am driving in my car, I reach for my Cd collection of about 20 burnt cds and say to myself, damn I need to burn more cds..
Space is limited in the car and I cant be bothered carried around 200 cds like some of my friends have..
so I was thinking. DAMN the Apple IPOD can hold 30gigs of music..
thats about 7000 songs,, 300 albums..
just carry that small device with me connect it to my car stereo and BOBS my uncle!

so the question is people..
are we going to see an early end to CDR'S??

The iPods are cool, don't get me wrong, but I think they're seriously overpriced. The current model are 10GB ($299), 20GB ($399) and 40GB ($499). The 10 doesn't come with the remote, dock and case like the 20 does, so the savings are wasted if you want those items. May as well go for the 20, you'll essentially break even and get twice the space.

I use a RioVolt CD/MP3 player. It's discman sized and plays auido CDs as well ad CDRs filled with MP3s. I paid $40 for it - new - this summer back in the US. Sure, it doesn't have the "cool" factor of an iPod, but I can't see spending that kind of cash on a MP3 player. I'd rather save up for a nice digital camera, or more DV gear.

I don't see CDRs going away anytime soon. They're too cheap and convenient. Practically every new computer has a CD-RW drive in it. As long as there are audio-only CD players, CDRs are staying put.
Gord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus CDRs can be moved around easily and easily replaced. Or what I have, a minidisc player in my truck. Easily moved, only a hell of a lot more durable.

An iPod lacks the durability you want in a vehicle as it could take many a tumble, as well as the convenience factor is gone as you have to pack it everywhere. Assuming you get a custom dashboard mount made for it, you've still got to haul it inside every time you want to add songs. Plus you can buy CD players that play MP3 files on a CD, so you can have 150 MP3 files on a CD to choose from, reducing those 200 CDs to 20.

The exact same thing would be what a friend of mine did, and what was mount an old computer in the car. Suddenly the care becomes a mobile MP3 player. Ba-Da-Boom, music problem solved.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about SK, but in the US, MP3 CD players are becoming really popular for car stereos, so don't throw away them CDRs just yet
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can see, there seem to be more solid state (ie Persistent RAM, etc) players in personal MP3 in Korea. Mainly due to battery life (very very few or zero moving parts), size (no motors or big platters to deal with) and price (Korea manufactures a large percentage of the world's solid state gear if I remember. This fact could be outdated).

But with that in mind, I think for car audio, you'd want a headunit that can play these following formats.

a) CD-R : obvious
b) CD-RW : Not so obvious but a life saver. Say you have a CD full of your current favourite chart hits. On a regular CD-R, you can only write once, which means you'll have obsolete CD's in a matter of weeks, if not days. The current price of CD-R media (less than 40c AU if you buy sufficient bulk) sort of negates this, but CD-RW means you can just wipe clean and reburn with your current crop of fave tracks without juggling a zillion CD's. Convenience factor = 10.

You must note that CD-RW's use a darker dye on the writing surface, with less reflectivity than retail Audio CD's and CD-R's. Some players than can read CD-R cannot read CD-RW. *Most* current CD headunits will be able to read CD-R/RW but it would be worth checking.

c) MP3 : MP3 CD's (particularly MP3 CD-RW's) would be a great solution to your audio problems in the car. You can dump about 150 songs (depending on file size) per CD, and you can change the contents on the RW's for quite a long time. I don't know about 200 songs though.. my MP3's tend to be larger than 3.5 megabytes. I guess it depends on what you listen to. Overall you can fit approximately 700 megs of data onto a CD, so it equates to a lot of music.

Since you already have a CD burner, it would also be a lot cheaper than an iPod (as sexy as these things are). A decent head unit (with MP3/CD-R/RW) will cost around 250 000 won as a starting point. I recommend all the big brands besides Clarion. I haven't used these at all but I've heard some shifty reviews. Pioneer, JVC and Alpine are good bets.

Hope this post helps.

jae.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minidisc is still the way to go. If you haven't figured this out yet, hear me now and think about it later. You can fit the PERFECT amount of tunes on them, and they're yours forever (unlike MP3). And, you won't be dickin' around for hours trying to find that ONE song you want to hear.

Remember the dorks who bought those CD carousels back in the days that could hold like, 300 CD's or something? How retarded.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone who thinks MDs are still viable has his nose too far up Japan's ass.
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
anyone who thinks MDs are still viable has his nose too far up Japan's ass.

What's not to love? Durable, rewritable, excellent quality, song names listed on the display, etc. To argue that CDs are better in a mobile audio setting is simply lying.

Look at the love! I can stuff the player and a couple extra discs in my pocket when I head anywhere. Do that with a CD player and a couple CDs. Oh, wait, you can't unless you're wearing cargo pants, and then the CDs still require cases.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDs are NOT durable at all, very sensitive, and expensive. so much so that for the same price, you can buy 5 CD players for the price of one MD recorder.

MDs are a dead technology, time to switch over the dark side of music
Gord

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
MDs are NOT durable at all, very sensitive, and expensive. so much so that for the same price, you can buy 5 CD players for the price of one MD recorder.

MDs are a dead technology, time to switch over the dark side of music

Not durable? I'm going to have to disagree with you on that as I horribly abuse my MDs without a second thought, while CDs I have to store gently lest they be rendered useless.

Sensitive? They are a sealed unit that are read with a laser just like a CD. It's essentially an armored CD that's smaller.

Expensive? You're comparing recorders to players as a false price comparison. You can buy a simple MD player for $100 or less which puts it in a price competive environment. Yes, you can get some CD players for less, but it's not the price gap you suggest.

Do we dare compare mobile MD recorders to mobile CD recorders? Do they even make mobile CD recorders? I've never seen one, but I suspect if they do they won't be cheap.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CD/MP3 players are the way to go. Sure, they're a little bit bigger than MD players, but the 150+ songs on a CD thing can't be beat. When I go away on month-long trips, I only need to take one CD with me. I don't need to open the player the whole month, and the CD never gets scratched.

And when I get sick of the songs, I can erase the 1000w CD-RW and make a new compilation. To think that only four years ago I'd spend hours on hours making mix tapes..
SarcasmKills

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loves my iPOD... LOVES my iPOD...
jaebea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recent MDLP innovation and Sony's NetMD format have breathed a whole lot of new life into the MiniDisc format.

Up until MDLP, users could only fit 74/80 minutes of audio onto an MD. Remeber that MiniDisc uses ATRAC compression, which is a lossy compression technique like MP3. MDLP basically enabled people to downsample audio in order to fit more, which was great for a whole lot of applications. You could record 4 hours of lectures when quality could be sacrificed, or double the recording ability if you wanted to play music. It didn't sound perfect, but it's still better than 128kbps, which is what a lot of MP3's are in.

NetMD was the biggest draw card for me. I've been out of the MD loop since my MZR-55, but the ability to do fast recording at 2x MDLP is a very attractive prospect. NetMD enables users to dump their MP3 collection onto MD, with the PC application doing all the correct downsampling and titling. It also solved the biggest negative about MD (in my opinion), which was real time recording, like the cassette tapes of old.. :)

I still don't think you could beat CD-R/RW MP3 for in car audio however.

Just my 2c.

jae.
eamo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used MD for portable music since 1997.

My previous Sharp 702 and my current Sony MZ-N1 netMD have always worked perfectly.

netMD is sweet.

I just think MD is sexy and the ultimate flexible recording format. It's nice to call round to a friends house and record a couple of his CDs with nothing more than your MD portable and an optical cable.

I do burn some CDs now and then. Mostly for VCD though. Rarely music.

The iPOD looks good but I find people who use devices with big storage don't know what to listen to. Same goes for MP3-CD. Too many files on one disc is just bewildering.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine who was a TOTAL CD advocate recently caved in after years of fighting the future and admitted that it was time to do the MD thing. Why?

a) portability

b) as I mentioned before...each disk stores the PERFECT amount of songs.

c) MDs are HIGHLY DURABLE. Whoever told you otherwise needs to have his/her head examined. I've dropped mine several times WHILE CYCLING, and it's no worse for wear. Try THAT with a CD player (NO, you'd better not, actually).

d) MP3 players are useless, unless you're the kind of dork who a) keeps gigs of songs on your hard drive or b) dyes his/her hair any of the colors of the rainbow

e) there is nothing better on the horizon....or is there? (queue twilight zone music)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: