Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contraception in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris Kwon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Contraception in Korea Reply with quote

Len8 wrote:
About 44 percent of women between 15 and 44 have had more than one abortion.

Was this really true? Thats a big percentage Shocked
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one and only reason why i don't use the pill is that it made me horribly horribly depressed. This happened to other women that i know. Once i went off of it i felt myself again.

so it is not a magic pill at all. it does mess around with your hormones.

Abortion, of course does way worse in terms of depression due to a huge hormonal swing. Not to mention a whole list of reasons why abortion should not be used as a form of birth control.

Copper IUD's are gaining popularity since it does not mess around with your hormones. apparently copper is a natural contraceptive or something. IUD's were more popular decades ago but also led to some injuries. I think they are safer now. A friend of mine uses the copper IUD and swears by it.

there needs to be more sex education not only in Korea but in north america as well. things seem to be moving backwards...
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll always remember korean condoms - man those things were small! Surprised
ms.catbc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess i should bring a bunch of condoms then huh?!
ratslash

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would. i'm not saying i'm well endowed, just normal as far as i'm aware, but the condoms were a little tight!
matesol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Menstruation is healthy Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Factor-Aging-Americans-Faster/dp/1587360519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1202846554&sr=1-1

Interested wrote:
ulsanchris wrote:
MY korean gf doesn't want to use the pill because it is unnatural.

In fact some cancer researchers think that ovulating every month for years and years is something of a health risk!

Actually, menstruation is probably quite healthy and it's probably bad that men don't menstruate! The blood loss on a monthly basis gets rid of iron. Men have health problems that women don't have that are probably related to a buildup of iron in the body. However, after menopause, women begin to show the same levels of heart disease and other ills that men do. It is thought that the loss of iron through blood menstruation is probably healthy.

In fact, the old idea of "blood letting" was probably healthy. It was wrong in that it was practiced indiscriminately. It should not be done on children, etc. However, menopausal women and men should probably give blood regularly. Getting rid of excess iron (the way women normally do through menstruation) is probably very healthy!

The above book is very well researched and footnoted.
Omkara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. Just wanna keep it alive.
meohmy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to start my own thread just to ask...but I'm wondering so maybe I'll try it here...

Can you get Yasmin brand bcp's in Korea?
Atavistic

Location: How totally stupid that Korean doesn't show in this area.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meohmy wrote:
I hate to start my own thread just to ask...but I'm wondering so maybe I'll try it here...

Can you get Yasmin brand bcp's in Korea?

I was told they'd be available in October (2007) but haven't checked it out since then.
ghohn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has "pulling out" been mentioned?
jkelly80

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is there a place to get condoms in Seoul? I'm sure there are many, but anywhere in particular? I live near the Eungam emart but I haven't seen them there.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkelly80 wrote:
So, is there a place to get condoms in Seoul? I'm sure there are many, but anywhere in particular? I live near the Eungam emart but I haven't seen them there.

Every pharmacy will have a corner full of them. You can also find them in home-plus, lotte-mart and others.
ratslash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
jkelly80 wrote:

Every pharmacy will have a corner full of them. You can also find them in home-plus, lotte-mart and others.

yep, any pharmacy on any street will stock them. see my previous posts though! Laughing
Steffie183

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghohn wrote:
Has "pulling out" been mentioned?

That, oddly enough, is around 94% effective IF you do it right. However, it takes a lot of practice and while you are practicing accidents happen. Before any of our modern birth control was invented, and before condoms were so widespread (condoms are NOT new), women checked their fertility based on their vaginal mucous. When it's the thickest is when you are the most fertile. And men did pull out. Not 100% and a little scary to me. I love my fiancee but I don't let him get away without a condom. Not worth ruining our relationship because we weren't prepared for a baby.

His prior gf (who gave us chlamydia, STDs ARE here and we weren't very careful) asked him NOT to use condoms because she was on the pill. She cared about preventing pregnancies but not STDs since she was also cheating on him (tried to sleep with his bestfriend). To me, an American, it seemed super stupid.

I'm curious about the vaginal ring. I used it in the states for over a year and I LOVED it. I've used the pill, the patch, and the ring and I definitely prefer the ring. Can we get it here? I'm not due for another gynie visit until August. Gynie visits are not the most enjoyable afternoon activitiy.

Also, just to point out, IUDs are gaining popularity in America since a new plastic one just came out. The slogan, "Not your mom's IUD." I don't know much about it.
gaychel

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that in the States, they pulled the ring off of the market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: