Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contraception in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steffie183

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaychel wrote:
I'm pretty sure that in the States, they pulled the ring off of the market.

Nope, they still had it when I was there in Feb. Why would the ring be pulled off of the market? I haven't heard of anything bad about it. The patch, maybe. I even had a reaction to the patch but never the ring.
anyangoldboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the midnight run is quite effective
ghohn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steffie183 wrote:
His prior gf (who gave us chlamydia, STDs ARE here and we weren't very careful) asked him NOT to use condoms because she was on the pill. She cared about preventing pregnancies but not STDs since she was also cheating on him (tried to sleep with his bestfriend). To me, an American, it seemed super stupid.

The way I see it, you won the STD lottery by getting Chlamydia. Antibiotic and 2 weeks right? My first choice, however, would be crabs. Some people don't consider crabs an STD. But lets not get caught up in semantics.

Just curious how being an American adds pertinence to the story? It did make me laugh though!

One American guy,
Garrett
Steffie183

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghohn wrote:

Just curious how being an American adds pertinence to the story? It did make me laugh though!

Because Americans are bombarded with ways to have safe sex from the time our bodies even think about hitting puberty. I don't know how it is in other countries. I'm sure they have sex-ed (they do in Korea) but I don't know how detailed they get and how often they are exposed to safe sex media. I have only seen one condom commercial here, that was rather humorous, on the bus on my way to Incheon airport.

Not that those commercials always work, I'm sure we've all seen pregnant teens (my sister was one). But quite honestly, I think seeing a 8 month pregnant teenage mom waddling around walmart is a rather effective contraceptive image. Or waddling across the stage as she receives her diploma. At least she graduated, right?
kirbs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my girlfriend back in the states was on the pill for a while before quitting due to financial reasons. she is, however, planning on visiting for about three weeks and besides the obvious conjugal benefits of her visit i'd also like to to take advantage of the weak won and get her some new clothing, some personal electronics and perhaps a year' or two's supply of the pill.

is that allowed? can i just show up with her at the local pharmacy and pay for a year's worth? can she even take it home with her? or would she only be able to use it here?

if it's possible i'd like to ask her to visit her doctor and get exact dosing instructions as well as suggested brands so she would know what to do when she got here, but i'd like to have some answers before i approach her.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbs wrote:

1) ... and perhaps a year' or two's supply of the pill. is that allowed? can i just show up with her at the local pharmacy and pay for a year's worth?

2) can she even take it home with her? or would she only be able to use it here?

3) if it's possible i'd like to ask her to visit her doctor and get exact dosing instructions as well as suggested brands so she would know what to do when she got here, but i'd like to have some answers before i approach her.

1) yes, it is allowed but be careful of the expiry dates. Yes since you are paying full price (and not the insurance subsidized price) but it is still VERY INEXPENSIVE.

2) Yes, provided it is in the original packaging.

3) She can visit her doctor at home or just get an OB/GYN visit while she is here and get a recommendation for meds that are available here. The cost of a doctor's visit without insurance (assuming no extra tests) would only be about 10k-20k won.

kirbs

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it doesn't matter that she is without a visa and simply visiting?

ttompatz wrote:
kirbs wrote:

1) ... and perhaps a year' or two's supply of the pill. is that allowed? can i just show up with her at the local pharmacy and pay for a year's worth?

2) can she even take it home with her? or would she only be able to use it here?

3) if it's possible i'd like to ask her to visit her doctor and get exact dosing instructions as well as suggested brands so she would know what to do when she got here, but i'd like to have some answers before i approach her.

1) yes, it is allowed but be careful of the expiry dates. Yes since you are paying full price (and not the insurance subsidized price) but it is still VERY INEXPENSIVE.

2) Yes, provided it is in the original packaging.

3) She can visit her doctor at home or just get an OB/GYN visit while she is here and get a recommendation for meds that are available here. The cost of a doctor's visit without insurance (assuming no extra tests) would only be about 10k-20k won.

ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirbs wrote:
and it doesn't matter that she is without a visa and simply visiting?

Nope. Doesn't matter. It just means she pays 10-20k instead of 3k-5k for the doctor's visit.

The meds will be the same.

KuroBara

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Dep-Provera still off the market?
man_of_words

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: IUD Information in Korean Reply with quote

Does anyone by chance have any links to informative pages about IUD's in Korean? I want her to see information about them from other sources than myself so that she will seriously consider going to the clinic at least for a consultation. It's the one thing I think she might go for.
Black Hole

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get what the big deal is about birth control. If you're in a committed relationship, you should be able to talk to each other and work something out. But, if you're single, why not just use a condom? You don't even need to use a Korean one any more. I've been having mine shipped to me from WesternCondoms.com -- free shipping and pretty cheap prices on 12 packs (like, 8000W). That solved my problem pretty fast.
pumpkin1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Alesse? Reply with quote

I've already stocked up on quite a bit of Alesse pills, but I was wondering if you can easily get them over-the-counter in all Korean cities. (21 or 28 pills, doesn't matter)

I'm hoping there's some sort of regulation on medications and that Alesse over there will be the same as Alesse in Canada...
humbledude517

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: contraceptuin Reply with quote

Hey, I've been trying to find Estelle, is it even in Korea, Ilsan area? Question
jamjam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: No Contraception.... Reply with quote

Hello,
Don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I need some help. I just moved here. And I just found out I am pregnant. I have a boyfriend of 4 yrs at home......not married, Yikes! Anyone know of an OBGYN that speaks alittle english in Ansan area....maybe I would go to Seoul too. Thanks!
Really appreciate any info.
KuroBara

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: No Contraception.... Reply with quote

jamjam wrote:
Hello,
Don't know if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but I need some help. I just moved here. And I just found out I am pregnant. I have a boyfriend of 4 yrs at home......not married, Yikes! Anyone know of an OBGYN that speaks alittle english in Ansan area....maybe I would go to Seoul too. Thanks!
Really appreciate any info.

I have not visited her, only called, but Dr. Sung's office speaks english. She is in Seoul, though. She has been talked about on the forums, so you can do a search on her. The phone # is 02-790-0802.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: