Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beijing/Peking Duck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
da_moler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Beijing/Peking Duck Reply with quote

Does anyone know where to eat Beijing/Peking Duck in Seoul?

So far I've only found the Beijing Duck restaurant in Apgujeong, but it was very disappointing.

Any other places?
stevemcgarrett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damoler:

You will be very hard pressed to find anything resembling real kouya anywhere in Seoul, including Chinese restaurants in a five-star hotel (which are probably your best bet, nonetheless).

Even in China it is difficult to find authentic Peking Duck dining outside of Beijing. What's interesting is that some of the best and cheapest can be had at non-descript, smaller restaurants there, by the way.

An authentic duck dinner involves several courses, most including part of the duck. While I don't care for the duck soup at the end (sorry, Groucho), I find it a delectable experience.

BTW, I'm amused when Koreans parade around hotpot as if they invented it. Originating in Mongolia, it was perfected in Beijing too.
pugwall

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near Bongcheon station on the number 2 line there is a little Chinese community with real chinese restaurants and shops. If you exit from exit one its the street parallel to the station. Can get some real Sichuan food and all proper Chinese dishes and Beijing Duck.

Although will concur with Steve nothing to compete with real Beijing Kao Ya from the Big Dumpling
stevemcgarrett

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pugwall recommended:

Quote:
Although will concur with Steve nothing to compete with real Beijing Kao Ya from the Big Dumpling

Yeah, bruddah, that area might do the trick. And if you guzzle some pijiu beforehand it won't matter anyhow.

Self-Note: I mangled the pinyin spelling of kaoya, I see.

And, in fairness, kalbi in Honolulu and elsewhere isn't the same as it is in Seoul, that's for sure, buckaroo.

P.S. I like that "Big Dumpling" descriptor.
da_moler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys. I will check on Bongcheon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: