Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Korean Language Question And Answer Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jitter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jitter wrote:
Hello, sorry for a bit of spam but I thought posters in this thread might also like to support http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/56835/korean-language-usage-klu

If you are already a user of other stack exchange sites, you will know that it's a format that works really well.

Just to note that this original proposal died, but there's a new one at http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/74083/korean-language-and-usage. At the moment it's not a functioning Q and A site, just a place to suggest good questions...
wanderkind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the difference between

verb-어/아/여 있다
and
verb-고 있다 ?

My grammar book just says they both indicate something is presently continuing.

Edit: I could look elsewhere but this thread could use a little love.
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One implies a continual state, the other implies continual action.

수영하고 있다: swimming (continual action)

앉아 있다: sitting (continual state)

새기고 있다: engraving (continual action)

새겨져 있다: engraved (continual state)
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that last, Fox, very helpful, I was remiss not saying that at the time.

This next question isn't about learning Korean per say, but better understanding it / my students / coworkers pitfalls in English.

Almost universally, even very high level Korean English speakers that I meet (that did not grow up in or spend an extended period of time in an English speaking country) use "should" as a catch-all for recommendations/suggestions and requirements/obligations. Specifically I'm referring to when they use it in place of "need to" or "have to".

Example: My co-worker, who drives his kids to their hagwon classes every weekend said "I should drive my daughters to the academy every Saturday morning."
I hear this mistake all the time, but that was the most recent example.

Is there an aspect of Korean grammar that lends itself to Koreans making this mistake? Or is it just the result of instructors skating over the nuance? (I suspect verb-어/아/여야 되다/하다, but my Korean isn't very sophisticated so I'm asking here)
jazzmaster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I want to get married this year do I have to pass the TOPIK test, or do I only need that if I want an F5 visa instead of an F2 visa?
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I go to a fast food restaurant and they ask me if I want to eat in or take out, it sounds like they ask:

드시고 왔어요?

and I know to answer "네", means I will eat it there.

But what are they asking? It sounds like they are asking "Did you eat before you came?" or "Did you eat and come here?". That doesn't make any sense. What exactly do they ask when ordering the fast food?

Thanks,
Drew
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew345 wrote:
When I go to a fast food restaurant and they ask me if I want to eat in or take out, it sounds like they ask:

드시고 왔어요?

and I know to answer "네", means I will eat it there.

But what are they asking? It sounds like they are asking "Did you eat before you came?" or "Did you eat and come here?". That doesn't make any sense. What exactly do they ask when ordering the fast food?

Thanks,
Drew

Are you sure they aren't asking, "드시고 가세요?" "Will you eat here and then go?"
Drew345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, That must be it!
"드시고 가세요?"!
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject: Ashamed Reply with quote

I am ashamed to say that I didn't study that much Korean when I was in Korea. I went back on holiday, and then noticed that certain words were like their equivalents in Chinese or Japanese. I realised this would have helped me. I think the grammar is what makes it difficult.
Drew345

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean word for "Boss".

I know Korean has a large vocabulary for well-defined levels at work (사장님, 대표님, 다리 (?), 과장님 .etc. But what would be the word for "boss" as in the person directly one or two levels above you who gives you your work assignments and such.

For example:
I asked my boss for a raise.
My boss asked me to come in on the weekend.

What is Korean word for "boss" in those situations?

Thanks,
Fox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

상사?
mahaju

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this thread is still active

Please participate in creating a Korean language stackexchange site for discussion and question answer about Korean language

Participation is easy, create an account in stackexchange and commit to the Korean language proposal

If enough people commit then the Korean language discussion site will get created and we can start asking questions and getting answers

The proposal is already at 91% we just need about 20 more people to commit to it

It would be even better if you are already active in other stackexchange sites, as then your commitment will carry more weight, and you are welcome to come and join even if you are not

Lets create this site together

You can commit to the Korean language proposal by following this link:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/74083/korean-language?referrer=_bGLWL4a0nyN5qIsOP5VxA2
Drew345

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was touched (emotionally)

How to say that. Like after watching a love story movie with beautiful scenery. Or you are in the hospital and someone visits with a card, flowers, and cake.

Thanks,
jitter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Korean Stack Exchange Reply with quote

I see I'm not the only one here to post about Korean SE!

The Korean Stack Exchange site is now live.

http://korean.stackexchange.com

Great place to ask specific questions on Korean Language.
RogersGang

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:42 am    Post subject: I don't like the Korean style of teaching and learning. Reply with quote

The memorization and huge burden of vocabulary lists swamps my capacity. Wouldn't it be better to learn useful sentence patters to automaticity with a few standard words, and than add words at a sane pace while USING the sentence patterns you've learned?

I'm trying to put lessons together in that philosophy. I've been here 8 years. Here is what I think, and my first three Korean lessons...

http://iexperiencekorea.com/blog/Gangneung/2018WinterOlympics/asking-korean-lesson-1/

http://iexperiencekorea.com/blog/Gangneung/2018WinterOlympics/language-issues-immigrants-korea/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 66, 67, 68  Next
Page 67 of 68

Jump to: