Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"New" Anti-Semitism On Rise Globally?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjuna wrote:
Arjuna endorses no religion and no race.
But as far as they go, these rabbis are correctly aligned.

Rabbis against the existence of Israel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6rh79OKVQ

Jewish Rabbis united with Muslims against Zionist racism!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSlsiW9hT8

No but you seem to have something specifically against one one religion and one ethnic group in particular.

How else can anyone explain the selective criticism?
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
If what people mean to say is hatred of "jews" then SAY IT, but don't use another loaded red-herring term to replace what you're
REALLY trying to say.

Your endless efforts in "trying to change the subject" from anti-semitism ( and we all clearly *wink wink* "know" what this means )

... into a debate about terminology is ... a red-herring if there ever was one.

Begging the Question Ya-ta ... Rolling Eyes

BEGGING THE QUESTION
(Circular Reasoning)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
... but you seem to have something specifically against one one religion and one ethnic group in particular.

How else can anyone explain the selective criticism?

Thank-you for mentioning this, Joo.

Define semit-ism.
Justin Hale

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good God, here he goes again, same old topic, same old arm-waving. This board contains some of the most pathetic riff-raff ever to have graduated from a Western university and does nothing to dispel my notion that those folks in hagwons are naught but filth, by and large.

Once again, IGTG, here's the dictionary definition of antisemitism: discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews [Origin: 1880�85].

Here are the possible meanings of semite:

1. a member of any of various ancient and modern peoples originating in southwestern Asia, including the Akkadians, Canaanites, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs.
2. a Jew.
3. a member of any of the peoples descended from Shem, the eldest son of Noah.

Here's the dictionary definition of anti-Americanism: opposed or hostile to the United States of America, its people, its principles, or its policies.

Here are the possible meanings of American:

1. of or pertaining to the United States of America or its inhabitants: an American citizen.
2. of or pertaining to North or South America; of the Western Hemisphere: the American continents.
3. of or pertaining to the aboriginal Indians of North and South America, usually excluding the Eskimos, regarded as being of Asian ancestry and marked generally by reddish to brownish skin, black hair, dark eyes, and prominent cheekbones.

So, to be anti-American is not to be anti-Canadian nor anti-Mexican. To be antisemitic is not to be anti-Arab, anti-anything but anti-Jewish. Why should we all overthrow the meanings of words just to satisfy fringe, unemployable, dope-smoking UFO freaks?

In short, your point is an absolute joke of a point and every time I whup your ass on this topic, you come back with more of the exact same, a memory problem likely the result of excessive alcohol and cannabis-use.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hale wrote:
In short, your point is an absolute joke of a point and every time I whup your ass on this topic, you come back with more of the exact same, a memory problem likely the result of excessive alcohol and cannabis-use.

So, then Mr. Smart "Ass-Whupper", tell us now ... are all "jews" semites?
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About half of israel's population aren't directly from the mideast . But Igotthisguitar is trying to make the case they made up the expression to gain sympathy when you he must know by now that the expression was made up by someone who was anti Jewish as not something to be ashamed of but as something to be proud of.

Like "anti communist". "anti drug". "anti corruption".

It maybe a dumb term but Igotthisguitar ought to blame the one who made up the expression at the begining.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
"About" half of israel's population aren't directly from the mideast ... but ...

Thank-you Joo for your apparent attempt at honesty.

Quite refreshing Laughing

From what i understand, Ashkenazis ( modern-day descendants of 8th century Muslim converts & non semitic ) "jews"
are believed to make up 90% of Israel's population, with Sephardic ( semites? ) = 10%.

Truth remains, attacking Palestinian Arabs is extremely "anti"-*cough*-semitic.
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ashkenazi Jews in Israel
Today, Ashkenazi Jews constitute the largest group among Jews,[4] but probably about a half of Israeli Jews (see Demographics of Israel).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

igotthisguitar wrote:
Joo Rip Gwa Rhhee wrote:
"About" half of israel's population aren't directly from the mideast ... but ...

Thank-you Joo for your apparent attempt at honesty.

Quite refreshing Laughing

From what i understand, Ashkenazis ( modern-day descendants of 8th century Muslim converts & non semitic ) "jews"
are believed to make up 90% of Israel's population, with Sephardic ( semites? ) = 10%.

Truth remains, attacking Palestinian Arabs is extremely "anti"-*cough*-semitic.

This is not accurate. Again, the Khazars were not one religion per se that converted to Judaism. This is simply historically not true. Also, you state that the Sephardim (Jews who hail from North Africa, Turkey, Holland) and the Mezrahim from Iraq, Yemen, and Iran are a small minority among the Jewish population of Israel. You state that they are 10% of the population.

The Shas Party in Israel has a lot of votes, and they represent Sephardic Jews. Also, the Likud Party became quite powerful when Sephardic and Mezrahi Jews joined the party in large numbers. Between the 1940s and the 1960s alone, 1 million Sephardic Jews went to Israel. The population of Israel today is 6 million. If by some freak of nature, the Sephardis didn't increase with childbirth, they would automatically be 16% of the population not 10% as you claim. Some Israelis actually state that the Sephardim are, in fact, the largest group in Israel if you put all the Jews from Morrocco, Egypt, Iraq, Syria, Yemen, and Tunisia together.
Igotthisguitar, I think you have this old vision of Israelis and Jews that is not accurate at this current time. The Russians may have shifted the balanced, but I am not sure by how much, but you make it seem like non-European Jews are some small minority when they are all over the place in Israel.

Igotthisguitar, I am against the abuse of human rights of the Palestinians or any people, but what is the point of sloppy, propaganda work against the Jews to make the case that most Jews in Israel are European, so they are not legitimate to live in the area. What was done to the Palestinians whether it was done by Sephardic or Ashknenazi Jews would not justify the tragedy any innocent Palestinians would have suffered. The founders of Israel were Ashkenazi, but most people will tell you Sephardim are a heavy percentage of the population, not 10%. Why make such a statement without research?

Last edited by Adventurer on Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Begging the Question Ya-ta

Why not be up-front about it for once, IGTG? Tell us why you are anti-semitic. Don't hide behind your silly links. You. Just you and your words. Why do you hate/fear them so much?
bacasper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arjuna wrote:
Arjuna endorses no religion and no race.
But as far as they go, these rabbis are correctly aligned.

Rabbis against the existence of Israel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y6rh79OKVQ

Jewish Rabbis united with Muslims against Zionist racism!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuSlsiW9hT8

Let's not forget Jews Against the Occupation.
khyber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But that is a moot point igtg and you (Should!) know that.

Anti-Semitism is a word that means hatred of Jews (regardless of their cultural grouping). You have been told this several (I think it's at, at least 6 now) times and we're hoping you'll be able to understand that.
Justin Hale

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igotthisguitar wrote:
Justin Hale wrote:

It�s totally immaterial as I demonstrated. Meaning is use, not reference. We decided that antisemite was our word for anti-Jew despite the fact there are non-Jewish semites. We decided anti-American was our word for those who hate the US despite the fact that Chileans, Brazilians, Canadians, Mexicans and Peruvians are Americans. I see no reason at all to overthrow our words because they are opposed by anti-Jewish hagwon muppets and I certainly refuse to discuss the matter and not discuss the problems of antisemitism and anti-Americanism which are of significantly greater importance.

Ya-ta Boy wrote:
Quote:
Begging the Question Ya-ta

Why not be up-front about it for once, IGTG? Tell us why you are anti-semitic. Don't hide behind your silly links. You. Just you and your words. Why do you hate/fear them so much?

Y'know, one of the most satisfying aspects to being an unwavering supporter of Israel no matter what its atrocities is who the position pisses off.....(a) Muslims, (b) lefties, (c) X-Files freaks.
Adventurer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Israel does not speak for all Jews. Anti-Semitism is not a major issue in the United States. It is somewhat of an issue in Europe and the Middle East. There are incidents of anti-Jewish, anti-Semitic acts in North America on a minor scale. There is also anti-Arab acts which dwarf the anti-Jewish acts in light of what happened in September 11th.

Jews in America are not responsible for what Israel does anymore than Arabs are responsible per se as individuals living in America or wherever they live for what political events are carried by people of their own kin. It doesn't mean they shouldn't speak out against them. Righteous people speak out against violence, human rights abuses wherever they occur whether they occured in the past in East Timor, in Israel, South Africa, the Sudan, or Iraq. The term Anti-Semitism is rather old. It started in Europe to refer to the hatred of Jews. The Europeans were not dealing with Arab or Assyrian Semites. Yes, Arabs are Semites, but it is hard to change the terminology. I think too often the spectre of anti-Semitism is used to go against political debate when it comes to Israel.
There is definite anti-Semitism occuring, just as there is racism against black people in the US, and white people in Korea, but I have problems with people jumping and saying they hate me because I am either Jewish, white, or black...

I am frankly don't care very much about whether a particular Jew is a Semite or not, or if a particular human being is a Pole or a Korean so much as they are righteous, respect norms of how to treat other human beings.
igotthisguitar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khyber wrote:
Quote:

But that is a moot point igtg and you (Should!) "know" that.

Anti-Semitism is a word that means ( *ahem* ) hatred of ... Jews ... ( regardless of their cultural grouping ).

You have been "told" this several (I think it's at, at least 6 now) times and "we're" hoping you'll be able to understand that.

Yah, right. Repetition = "truth", huh Khyber?

If you were told the earth was flat 100 times ( 1000 times ) would you be cowed?

If you were told 2+2=5 a million times would you finally "agree"?

Anti-semit-ism is an obvious fraud.

As stated, if what you REALLY means is "hatred" of "jews", fine. Then say it.

But don't think you can casually get away with trying to "hoodwink" the gullible masses with one of the English languages most inexcusable & offensive misnomers.

As stated, Ashkenazis ( i.e. the VAST majority of Israel's population ) are NOT semites.

Got it?

Moreover, what most types such as yourself refer to as semitism = nothing more than a bigotted intellectual abstraction, egoism, & attempted racism.

No, i sure wouldn't wouldn't want to be anywhere in the vicinity if you were to tell a Palestinian, or for that matter, any of the other large numbers of indigenous middle easterners that they were "anti" semites for opposing Israel's founding & subsequent terrorist policies Confused

Adventurer wrote:
The founders of Israel were Ashkenazi, but most people will tell you Sephardim are a heavy percentage of the population, not 10%.

Why make such a statement without research?

Why make any statement? That's my understanding. "Most" people will say? So what?

Maybe i'm a little off here ... *shrugs* ...

What is clearly on the mark, however, is the pathetic discrimination that occurs even within Israel itself.

Sephardic are often treated like 2nd class citizens.

Then there's those of African & misc. "other" heritage who are lured to Israel under the guise of repatriation ... Rolling Eyes

ALL of Israeli PMs over its colourful 60 year history? ASH-KE-NAZIS.

Last edited by igotthisguitar on Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
twg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin Hale wrote:
(b) lefties

Speaking as a lefty, I think both Israel and Palestine need to knock it the *beep* off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: