Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon G5 or Canon D300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
museum

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Canon G5 or Canon D300 Reply with quote

Dear readers:
Can somebody please give me some advise? I'm thinking of buying a new digital camera. I've been looking at the canon range of cameras. I like two models, the D300 and G5. Are these two cameras any good?

The G5 has the better price, but the D300 has the multi lense option just like a film camera.

Does any one own these models? If yes can you please give me some information on them. Any other information on digital cameras would also be most welcomed. I'm also looking to buy a good photo printer, any ideas?

I have never owned a digital camera before, but I have had a lot of use with my Nikon F80.

Best regards, Michael Smile
Walter Mitty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best places to go for digital camera reviews is Steve's Digicams.

Here are the pages for the two cameras you mentioned:
Canon 300D (also known as the Digital Rebel and EOS Kiss)

Canon G5

Personally, I'd go with the 300D. That's my current "dream camera."
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you want out of your digital camera.
I would go with the 300d.
However the G5 is smaller and easier to carry around. The pictures won't be quite as good as the 300d, but they will be better than a lot of the other digi cam pics.
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW how much is the D300 going for in korea.
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have very deep pockets (you must not be an ESL teacher Cool ) my personal advice is to go for something lower end rather than buying a very expensive top-end digital SLR, only because the field is changing so rapidly that any top-end camera will be old hat in three years anyway.

I bought a Nikon 4300 which is good enough for now (and it does take optional filters & lenses), with the plan of eventually buying something else that will take all my old SLR lenses. The G5 is also very nice. Canon's optics are usually excellent.

Canon offers their own photo printers which would let you bypass a computer entirely, but otherwise just look for a good inkjet printer and use good paper. My 2c.

Ken:>
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moldy the D300 is not a top end Digital SLR. I think the top end ones now have over 10 megapixels.
In the states its listed under US$1000. SOme of the upper end digi cams go for that much or close to that much.
The D300 uses the same sensor chip as the Canon 10D, but doesn't have all of the options. It is also a fair bit cheaper than that.
TheD300 is aimed for the prosumer market.

IF the OP doesn't mind lugging around a SLR size camera i would say go for the D300.
IF you want to see what your pictures would like with a D300, just look at the ones Dave has posted. They are taken with a Canon 10D which has the same sensory chip, so the quality will be pretty much the same.
museum

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear all
Thank you all very much for the information. I think for the extra few hundred thousand won the D300 is the way to go.

I'm a ESL teacher working in Suwon. I'll head on out to Seoul next weekend to check out the prices. I have found a few good prices on the net, so I know what is a good deal and what is not.

I should be able to get the D300 with a standard canon lense and a 70-300 canon zoom lense for around 1,900,000 - 2,000,000 won. It sounds a lot of money but whats one months savings compaired to a few years fun!

Once again thank you!!!!!!!
Michael
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOw much just for the camera.
museum

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cost of the canon D300 is 1,430,000 to 1,470,000 won this includes it's standard lens. I guess you can buy the body by it self, but how much I'm not sure. The lens that comes with it is made for the D300.

I hope this helps.

Best regards, Michael
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
That just helped reinforce my decision to wait a while before i get a new camera
Moldy Rutabaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The cost of the canon D300 is 1,430,000 to 1,470,000 won

Heavens to Mergatroyd.. 1.4-1.5M Won is pretty top-end in my world. I paid 400K Won for my Nikon 4300. It's not as good, of course, but it's a difference of a million won. That's a lot of Filipina call gir--I mean, ESL textbooks to improve my teaching with, yeah.

Ken:>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: