Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roaming with Korean cell phone in the United States

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Roaming with Korean cell phone in the United States Reply with quote

I want to buy a new Korean phone that will work in the US and Canada when I am on trips. I heard SK (011) has roaming service. Has anyone done this? Would I have to get a new phone number when I am in the US for 2 weeks or can I keep the Korean phone number? who pays for the calls, etc.?

thanks Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system's were not compatible eariler this year as many of the US military people will tell you. Go figure. I suppose each wants to keep a lock on their market share of cell phone users. Yet, the cell phone makers in korea sell their phones in the US. Years ago, when the cell phone market was new in korea, it was possible to use the US made phone in korea. But that changed once the technology became more advanced. But now I have heard that in a few places in the US, roaming service is available. Phones in the US are fairly inexpensive vs korea. In fact many times the phones are free if you hook up with the cell phone company for a year or so.

Last edited by hellofaniceguy on Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SK Telecom's International Roaming Service
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I currently have LG (019) but am willing to switch.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
whatthefunk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different systems. You can buy a tri band that will work just about everywhere, but expect to pay alot more.
baccus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was told if i wanted roaming service, i would have to buy one of the phones that are roaming capable.

samsung makes one brand which says international roaming above the screen on the inside flap. under the phone menu there are a number of various settings

autoroam
international roam A
international roam B
japanese roam

i asked a lot of questions and was told this is the only way if i wanted to use my own phone.
otherwise i would have to pick up a phone at the airport.

if someone knows more - please do tell...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: