Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "Good Things You Have Downloaded Lately" Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
McGenghis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched 'Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For the East?' a few weeks ago and wondered why a little-known Korean film from the 80s has better English subs than modern 동busters. Buddhist film with a Buddhist pace, so drink tea instead of espressos while you watch.
Chet Wautlands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGenghis wrote:
I watched 'Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left For the East?' a few weeks ago and wondered why a little-known Korean film from the 80s has better English subs than modern 동busters. Buddhist film with a Buddhist pace, so drink tea instead of espressos while you watch.

Did you like it? I've wanted to watch it with my girlfriend (who is Korean) but she insists it's awful. However, she thought Transformers was OK.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

La Haine
Gomorrah

and

Handbrake Smile
McGenghis

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Wautlands wrote:
McGenghis wrote:

Did you like it? I've wanted to watch it with my girlfriend (who is Korean) but she insists it's awful. However, she thought Transformers was OK.

It was quite moving in places. Also very interesting how they wove some of the tenets of Buddhism into the plot. That said, it might be more of a movie that one watches alone.
Livewire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two excellent and engrossing documentaries I downloaded. Both focus on only one human subject.

Grizzly Man.

The Winnebego man.

The former is worth a watch just due to the extremeness of the guy and his fantasies. He is in his own world, slightly out of touch with reality and deliberately 'seperating' in psychotherapy speak from a prt of himself that bought a lot of trouble to him and those around him, but he has the balls to just go with it and stick to his guns and see through his vision to the very end which is at times very touching, amusing (in a laughing at him way) and also very scary. He dies in tragic circumstances and it's so sad that the creatures he loved so much - and mistakenly imho - beleived loved him were to be the deliverers of his demise.

The latter is really quite a small story, not very sensational and takes a half an hour or so for the viewer (imo) to get past the novelty and paper thin interest of the online fame issue and actually into the life of the main character. He is a very decent man and very much a man of the last century, a man displaced and dissapointed by modernity and it's dillution of a culture. I would have very much liked to go up to his shack and stayed and hung out and talked and drunk with him for a week or two. I also found the director very shallow and annoying. Well worth a watch.
Korangar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

movybuf wrote:
rumdiary wrote:
RMNC wrote:
carpetdope wrote:
Enter the Void from Gaspar "Irreversible" Noe.

Mind-blowing movie, this is about as close as cinema comes to being a religious experience. Highest, biggest, most topped-off recommendation on this one.
Not much more I can add to this.

I will also say that this movie rocked. Not the type of movie I would recommend to everyone, though.

I would recommend to everyone downloading the movie "Mary and Max." It was one of the most entertaining and emotional movies I have seen in a long time. It is my new go-to recommendation, taking over for my old one, "The Fall."

Oh good god, canceling my plans and as soon as I get home I'm downloading and watching that movie. Simply because you're recommending it over the fall.

Edit: I should recommend something while i'm here. Marwencol is probably the best documentary I've ever seen. Almost certainly the best movie I saw last year. But I haven't found out anywhere to download it yet, sooooo...yeah.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391092/
Chet Wautlands

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livewire wrote:
Two excellent and engrossing documentaries I downloaded. Both focus on only one human subject.

Grizzly Man.

The Winnebego man.

The former is worth a watch just due to the extremeness of the guy and his fantasies. He is in his own world, slightly out of touch with reality and deliberately 'seperating' in psychotherapy speak from a prt of himself that bought a lot of trouble to him and those around him, but he has the balls to just go with it and stick to his guns and see through his vision to the very end which is at times very touching, amusing (in a laughing at him way) and also very scary. He dies in tragic circumstances and it's so sad that the creatures he loved so much - and mistakenly imho - beleived loved him were to be the deliverers of his demise.

The latter is really quite a small story, not very sensational and takes a half an hour or so for the viewer (imo) to get past the novelty and paper thin interest of the online fame issue and actually into the life of the main character. He is a very decent man and very much a man of the last century, a man displaced and dissapointed by modernity and it's dillution of a culture. I would have very much liked to go up to his shack and stayed and hung out and talked and drunk with him for a week or two. I also found the director very shallow and annoying. Well worth a watch.

Re-watched Grizzly Man this past weekend. Just a great movie!
lawyertood

Location: Seoul, Incheon and the World--working undercover for the MOJ

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: I should recommend something while i'm here. Marwencol is probably the best documentary I've ever seen. Almost certainly the best movie I saw last year. But I haven't found out anywhere to download it yet, sooooo...yeah.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1391092/

There was a segment on the public television series This American Life about him, Season 2, Episode 3, last segment.
carpetdope

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of interesting movies (that have probably already been mentioned):

JCVD (2009) with Van Damme, described as a "Godardian coup de cinema" (?)

A Serious Man (2009) from the Coen brothers. Bleak.
ESL Milk "Everyday

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Space Age Bachelor Pad Music by Esquivel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kucrl7nVj7U

It's FUN.

Also, Gal Costa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kucrl7nVj7U

Brilliant Brazilian psychedelia.
derbot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for Superman - documentary about the failing education system in the states and the unwillingness to adopt change.
matthews_world

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just downloaded the Foster the People debut EP. Solid stuff.
rumdiary

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new album(Belong) by The Pains of Being Pure at Heart is pretty good.
Quote:

The band has been forthcoming in their love of crossover alternative rock, and on their second LP, Belong, Pains link up with Flood and Alan Moulder, the superproducers who manned the boards for a number of 90s titans-- Smashing Pumpkins, Nine Inch Nails, U2, Depeche Mode, and PJ Harvey just to name a few. Coming after a scrappy, low-profile debut, this is the sort of power move that used to have cred-conscious listeners crying "sell-out!" (remember that word?), but fortunately, Belong is a bigger, bolder, and brighter follow-up that adds new dimensions to the Pains' sound while nearly equaling the songwriting of their debut.

Also saw the movie Dog Tooth which was great. I don't want to say to much about it and spoil it. I saw it knowing nothing more about it than it was nominated for a bunch of awards and was happily surprised.
morrisonhotel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macbeth - the one starring Patrick Stewart. Excellent stuff.
TECO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chet Wautlands wrote:
Livewire wrote:

Grizzly Man.

The Winnebego man.

Re-watched Grizzly Man this past weekend. Just a great movie!

Yes, good recommendation. I've also watched it twice but it's now on Youtube in several parts. By the way, did anyone else think that the Doctor in that film was really strange?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 39 of 41

Jump to: