Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

should I go to Japan or S.Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canadian Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matko wrote:
The standard Hagwon job in Korea offers 2 weeks vacation. The standard eikaiwa job in Japan offers 4 weeks.

Good point but in Japan, everybody in the bleeping country gets vacations at the same time. It becomes a travel nightmare. Overseas fares double.

I have worked in both countries at length. Y250,000 a month is chicken feen in Japan. After rent and tax and deductions you will see W170,000. That might sound like a fair amount but Japan is REALLY EXPENSIVE. Things like going to movies, taking taxis anre eating in restaurants must be very carefully considered in Japan.

While Japan might appear to be less xenophobic that Korea on the surface, in my experience it was even more insular. Also, the chances for advancement are waaaaaaayyy better in Korea than Japan.

Working for a Japanese company was not the best experience of my life by a longshot. I have done much better in Korea.
matko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Dan: There are alot of interacial marriages in Japan. I would also venture to guess that it is alot more common in Japan than Korea.

To Capt. O: a can of coke is 120 yen, not 190.

To Canadian Teacher: You're right about the travel thing. At my current job, I get 6 weeks off for summer so I can avoid obon. Golden week is a bear though and I tend to stay around home then.

Some people do prefer Korea to Japan. The majority of the people I have spoken to who have worked in both prefer Japan however. To each his own I guess.

There is racism in Japan. You are right. It is often disguised and hidden. However, I prefer that to having it thrown in my face all the time. Some people like to have things "out in the open" so that they know where they stand. I am not one of them. The Japanese, for the most part, leave me alone and I leave them alone.

Your point about Korea having more opportunity for advancement, I don't quite understand. Could you please elaborate?
Matko
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same boat not too long ago in being faced with the decision of Korea vs. Japan, and I guess it depends on why you're doing this and what kind of offers you could realistically get in each country.

For me, the Japanese option would have had me working 30 teaching hours per week with 4 weeks vacation for 250,000Y, which is pretty standard for the first year (unless you're on the JET). I would have had to wear a business powersuit with shiny dress shoes to work everyday and live in a tiny, cramped apartment. I would have been more like a businessman than an educator. And I would have been paying through the nose for everything.

I chose Korea. Japan sounded like a much more interesting country, but I concluded that it wasn't really worth living there -- I can always take a vacation there easily. And I'll probably end up saving more in Korea, because even though Japan pays better, after you pay rent (even if it's subsidized) it's not much more than you can make in Korea your first year, and when you consider how expensive everything in Japan is, it doesn't seem like a great deal. However, if Japan is where you're interested in being, then maybe it's worth it for you. But if you don't have a great preference in terms of location, depending on what kind of job offers you may get in Korea, Korea may be a wiser option.
em

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Raymie - Have you tried heading over to the Japan Discussion Forum? I was just there and there's a post from Dave himself with a link to old Japan postings that are really useful! Scroll down and look for one called "Saving Money" in particular - that one got me leaning back on the side of Korea.

And J.B.'s got a real point about the power suits and shined up shoes.

However, I have a friend who is into his second year in Japan. I've just emailed him re: the money situation, who he is working for etc.. I'll let you know what he has to say when he gets back to me.

(Why isn't there a confused emoticon? It would be really useful!)
matko

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This power suit thing about Japan is a fallacy. Some jobs you have to wear a suit, others you don't. I wear jeans and a collared shirt or sweater. No tie.
The Great Wall of Whiner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: i didnt Reply with quote

I didn't wear a suite or tie in Japan (well I DID, just not at work).

I chose Korea over Japan if you're concerned about saving money.

If you want an easy ride...Japan.

Your call.
raymie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey em, if you could let me know what your friend in Japan thinks of all the pros and cons, that'd be great. As for shiny power suits, it doesn't apply so much to me, as I think women can carry off the professional look without having to wear a 'syuit'!. I'm still confused, have veered from Japan to S.Korea and back again so many times I have totally and utterly bored myself. Will let you know my progress!
Raymie
em

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raymie - I just heard from my friend - I didn't get alot of details about life in Japan cause I needed to resolve the money thing for myself first.

He's working for FIA - really enjoying himself, into his second contract - and he says he is sending home 1500-1700 (CDN)/month. He says the big thing is not to go into Tokyo. So I guess if you can get yourself located outside of Tokyo and avoid the temptation to party alot, Japan is at least as good a choice as Korea.

Oh, and he gave me a big fat warning to never work for AEON or NOVA.

Cheers!
raymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: I flipped a coin and........ Reply with quote

I flipped a coin and..............it was heads: Japan!
Magog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orrrrrrh, dont leave us Crying or Very sad
raymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't leave you, as I'm not even there!
Nah, I still haven't decided. I found out I got the ECC gig yesterday but wasn't particularly elated. Head says Korea(money); heart says Japan(intuitive).
I flipped a coin on Matko's suggestion and got Japan. However I'm too old (2Cool and cynical not to take the money issue into consideration.
maybe I'll see you soon!
Magog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont talk about money Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad unless you plan on spending it all in korea- the Won is starting to hurt big time.
raymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, so i've noticed. Why is nothing in life simple? Crying or Very sad
william beckerson

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're halfway good-looking in Japan, and into trolling for girls, you'll see more ass than a bus seat.

Hell, I'm not good looking and even I was able to snag some Japanese lovin'
raymie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

um, I'm a girl. Not interested in 'trolling for other' girls as you so eloquently put it!!
But thank for the advice!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: