Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gym workout regimes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Temporary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
thematrixiam wrote:
Bigfeet wrote:
I had to dig through pages of bodybuilding and diet fads sites to get to this:

"If people eat more protein than they need for
tissue maintenance and repair, their bodies use it for energy.
If it is not needed for energy, their bodies use extra protein
to make fat. It then becomes part of fat cells. "

Link

PDF link: http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2473/T-3163web.pdf

cute selective quoting.

I retort with this
Quote:

It then becomes part of fat cells. If people do not eat enough calories, protein in food and in their bodies will be used for energy.

from the same source...the next sentence to be exact.

If they are eating SO much that they are going over calories needed for the day, then YES they will get fat.

Well my original statement was for a person trying to get rid of a beer belly, so I don't think lack of calories was his problem. Most people I see at the gym don't seem to be lacking in calories either.

If you're trying to lose fat, you need to create a calorie deficit in your body so that it will burn fat for energy. Consuming protein powder is not going to help this process.

All things aside you are full of crap.

I was 282 pounds I am now just under 160. I can tell you that protein works.. I work out 5 days a week, No weights, I do exclusive HIT body weight excercises couple with a Kickboxing workout.. I can tell you I loose tonne of muscle quickly if I stop eating protein for more then a week. Infact protein is the best way to loose lots of fat and not muscle.

Carbs are the things you should cut down on. Protein is very difficult to process comparetaviley speaking plus you get a lot less energy per gram from protein then a carb.. 1 gram of protein equals to about 2-4cal depending on protein where as carb can be 1 gram 7-12 cals, not to mention body responds to carbs first, proteins secondary. Insulin is released when carbohydrates are introduced, insulin reaction = fat storage..

I drink protein every day 26gramX3 (22g protein/26g) in a protein shake that equals to 78grams = 300cal. Average of 3.8kcals per gram.. I weigh 160 pounds and using minimum protein intake that would be 160*1 = 160 grams of protein needed.. 1 shake is 66 grams of protein = 2.4 shakes.. 2.4 protein shakes = 720cal Minimum a human body needs for survival is 800-850 cal(I usually have 4-5 shakes in a day) Try to do that with rice.. 1 cup of rice is 185g = 685 cal. There is a reason Hospitals use an all out protein diet for morbidly obesse people.. (Look up the velocity diet)

I can tell you one thing, proteins aren't the same energy source as carbs are.. My work out are 10 times harder when I eat less the 75grams of carbs a day. When I cycle my Modified velocity diet I can usually loose .5kg a week. The atkins diet works and it works well except most people have no will to stick to it.. Its an extremly difficult diet to bare.. High protein diets also minimize muscle loss. The general rule of thum is every 2lbp of weight = 25% of that in muscle tissue rest in fat. High protein diets can minimise muscle tissue loss to under 10%.. High volume of muscle = more energy burned = faster fat burning. To be honest with you I haven't met a single foreigner that has lost weight in Korea most say that they gained.

If you get fat of protein you WOULD need to eat a SHIT load of protein so much so that your stomach would hurt.

Dieting is the only way to get rid of internal body fat which men are predisposed too. Excercise does very little for inner fat loss its about dieting. You want to loose external fat then you excercise.. Interval training is great for rapid fat loss.
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I gained and lost in korea.

I got the fatest I have every been while in korea. Then I got bored of being fat. And dropped 30lbs since feb. 25 of those pounds was while I was still in korea. 5 of those back home in Canada.

Now I am pretty good fat wise. I could still lose about 5 lbs. But I am ready to start work on gaining muscle when I get back to korea.
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no clue how people can gain weight in Korea...
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary wrote:

Temporary wrote:
To be honest with you I haven't met a single foreigner that has lost weight in Korea most say that they gained.

You are confusing me.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary wrote:

It probably stems from the strees the job brings and the available disposable income to spend on drink and comfort food.
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
Temporary wrote:

It probably stems from the strees the job brings and the available disposable income to spend on drink and comfort food.

Stress?
Must be the Haqwon guys..
I quit drinking two years ago, don't eat western food either.. To expensive..

I realized long time ago that carbs were making me fat so I cut them out..

My body handles proteins and fat very well, I don't gain an ounce from either.. Carbs on the other hand I can see my self geting fat once I put it in my mouth.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary wrote:
Carbs are the things you should cut down on. Protein is very difficult to process comparetaviley speaking plus you get a lot less energy per gram from protein then a carb.. 1 gram of protein equals to about 2-4cal depending on protein where as carb can be 1 gram 7-12 cals, not to mention body responds to carbs first, proteins secondary. Insulin is released when carbohydrates are introduced, insulin reaction = fat storage..

Where are you getting this? I've always read that both 1 gram of protein and 1 gram of carbs each have 4 calories. Can you provide a link to this info?

Carbs are not bad per se. It's processed carbs that you should be wary of.
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary wrote:

I was 282 pounds I am now just under 160. I can tell you that protein works.. I work out 5 days a week, No weights, I do exclusive HIT body weight excercises couple with a Kickboxing workout.. I can tell you I loose tonne of muscle quickly if I stop eating protein for more then a week. Infact protein is the best way to loose lots of fat and not muscle.

I drink protein every day 26gramX3 (22g protein/26g) in a protein shake that equals to 78grams = 300cal. Average of 3.8kcals per gram.. I weigh 160 pounds and using minimum protein intake that would be 160*1 = 160 grams of protein needed.. 1 shake is 66 grams of protein = 2.4 shakes.. 2.4 protein shakes = 720cal Minimum a human body needs for survival is 800-850 cal(I usually have 4-5 shakes in a day) Try to do that with rice.. 1 cup of rice is 185g = 685 cal. There is a reason Hospitals use an all out protein diet for morbidly obesse people.. (Look up the velocity diet)

I can tell you one thing, proteins aren't the same energy source as carbs are.. My work out are 10 times harder when I eat less the 75grams of carbs a day. When I cycle my Modified velocity diet I can usually loose .5kg a week. The atkins diet works and it works well except most people have no will to stick to it.. Its an extremly difficult diet to bare.. High protein diets also minimize muscle loss. The general rule of thum is every 2lbp of weight = 25% of that in muscle tissue rest in fat. High protein diets can minimise muscle tissue loss to under 10%.. High volume of muscle = more energy burned = faster fat burning. To be honest with you I haven't met a single foreigner that has lost weight in Korea most say that they gained.

If you get fat of protein you WOULD need to eat a SHIT load of protein so much so that your stomach would hurt.

Dieting is the only way to get rid of internal body fat which men are predisposed too. Excercise does very little for inner fat loss its about dieting. You want to loose external fat then you excercise.. Interval training is great for rapid fat loss.

So what are you saying, eating protein powder will help you lose a beer belly?

Yeah, if you're on a strict diet and in an intense work-out regime then you can replace carbs with protein to reduce muscle loss but that doesn't seem to be the case with the poster that I was responding to.

It's harder to turn protein into fat than to turn carbs into fat but it's still possible. This is why you can't gorge yourself on high-protien diets and expect to keep losing weight.

I stand by my original suggestion. If that guy wants to lose that beer belly, stop taking the protein powders and keep working out. Working out will make you lose fat instead of muscle.
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes if your speaking in a pure "chemical" nature yes its 1 to 1 but in reality you will never find food like that. Not sure if you want to eat "Pure" refined carbohydrate or protein.
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bigfeet wrote:
Temporary wrote:

So what are you saying, eating protein powder will help you lose a beer belly?

Yeah, if you're on a strict diet and in an intense work-out regime then you can replace carbs with protein to reduce muscle loss but that doesn't seem to be the case with the poster that I was responding to.

It's harder to turn protein into fat than to turn carbs into fat but it's still possible. This is why you can't gorge yourself on high-protien diets and expect to keep losing weight.

I stand by my original suggestion. If that guy wants to lose that beer belly, stop taking the protein powders and keep working out. Working out will make you lose fat instead of muscle.

No he should stick with the protein cut out the other shit thats not healthy calory wise. IE. White Rice, Noodles, bread, cookies, flour or rice based food. Eat more vegies and fruits but make sure to limit it to less then 6 pieces a day.
Grab the Chickens Levi

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to gain strength, then you'll be wanting to keep your carbs actually.

Whilst protien builds the muscles once the workout is over, it is carbs that fuel you during the workout.

That is why despite all the stuid fads over the decades a simple

50 / 40 / 10 or whatever it is split between carbs/protien/fats

Is still the way to go. YOU NEED your carbs to gain in strengh too.

I'm glad I don't workout anymore.

I sure don't miss having to count what I eat, the constipation and dodgy stomachs.. in a restaurant and not eating what I really want because of it's carb to protien ratio lol....
Bigfeet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eat complex carbs, eat protein. Eat lots of veggies and greens. Eat a few fruits. Stay the hell away from processed food and simple carbs. Eat whole-grain bread and brown rice.
Temporary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab the Chickens Levi wrote:
If you want to gain strength, then you'll be wanting to keep your carbs actually.

Whilst protien builds the muscles once the workout is over, it is carbs that fuel you during the workout.

That is why despite all the stuid fads over the decades a simple

50 / 40 / 10 or whatever it is split between carbs/protien/fats

Is still the way to go. YOU NEED your carbs to gain in strengh too.

I'm glad I don't workout anymore.

I sure don't miss having to count what I eat, the constipation and dodgy stomachs.. in a restaurant and not eating what I really want because of it's carb to protien ratio lol....

Diets are very specific my is designed for the fat reduction I don't care about strenght.. Only power. I kickbox so my diet is for someone that doesn't need or want excesive muscle mass. I need to have very little fat\
thematrixiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yawn... yammer yammer yammer.
merkurix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! There is so much advice here on nutrition, exercise, and dieting. OP, your head must be hurting, you are getting pulled in all kinds of directions!

Beginning Bodybuilding: A Comprehensive Guide

Just read this straight through (don't click on links, or videos) to get you started.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 4 of 51

Jump to: