Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International Phone Cards For a Cell Phone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: International Phone Cards For a Cell Phone Reply with quote

I know this topic's been done to death about calls made from a landline. But...I only have a cell phone and have to make a handful of international calls in the next few weeks. Do those phone cards from places like Itaewon work for calls overseas from a cell phone...? Is it significantly more expensive than from a landline...? Am I better just to use a pay phone...? Does anyone know of any good cards that work with either a handphone or a payphone...? Thanks.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought phonecards in Itaewon a couple of times, and I remember the place having posters on the wall advertising different phone cards for different countries. On the posters, there were charts showing how many minutes you get with a landline, and how many you get with a cell phone. There was a difference, but it still seemed like a pretty good deal.

But be careful which phone cards you use for which countries. Some are good for some, but not for others. I buy the "Best U.S.A." card because you can call the U.S. for about 3 and a half hours for $12 (can't beat that!). However, last week I tried to use it to call a friend in Turkey on the day of the bombings there, and it told me that I had 10 minutes (even though it was still good for 3 hours to call the US!).
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up getting one called Millenium Pacific.
Apparently it's good for 5 hours of calls to the US from a landline and I think 3 hours from a cell phone. I'm pretty happy with that. Assuming it works okay. It was 12,000 won.
Thanks for the advice J.B.C.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked for about 2 hours from a cell.
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, now that you mention that, I have noticed that my cards don't actually work quite as long as the say, either.
camel96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing worth mentioning was that I used the Best USA card for about 30 minutes before switching over to the Millenium Pacific card and the quality of the connection was really great with the MP deal. It was a little patchy with the Best USA one. Maybe worth checking out if you need to make many calls JB.
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a cell phone to the States I just dial 00365+1+number or 00300+1+number....It is only about 174 won per minute. It is a lot easier than getting a phone card every time. This would not work, however, if you have a prepaid cell phone, only for a regular cell phone.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
camel96

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd thoughts about the MP card. Tonight I was told it had 3 hours and 5 minutes left on it. Ran out of time a little after an hour. Evil or Very Mad
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
2nd thoughts about the MP card. Tonight I was told it had 3 hours and 5 minutes left on it. Ran out of time a little after an hour. Evil or Very Mad

Hmmm.. was this all at one sitting?

Just curious.. because from what I understand.. they connection cost is what gets you. Particularly if you have to call a few different times to different people or getting answering machines or whatever else.

Now if you only made one phone call, never hung up, and talked continously until the time ran out.. then I'd find that suspicious.
gi66y

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
From a cell phone to the States I just dial 00365+1+number or 00300+1+number....It is only about 174 won per minute. It is a lot easier than getting a phone card every time. This would not work, however, if you have a prepaid cell phone, only for a regular cell phone.

This is good (I use it when I'm full of Soju and feel the urge to call my buddies at 4am) but, as Kangnam mentioned, it can only be used when you have a contract phone (which a Korean has to get for you). Most of the foreigners I know have "card phones".

FYI: The quoted time for phone cards is for a landline phone. You generally get exactly half when you use a cellphone. So, when you can, use your cards at work if you don't have a phone at home.

I generally buy the Hanwha "International calling card for USFK, Eagles card"(you don't have to be in the USFK to use it). It gives me 120 minutes (to Canada, might be more to the US) for 12,000 won(60 on a cellphone). Not the best deal I've found, but I find them very reliable and the connection is usually really clear. If you aren't in Seoul I"m not sure where you'd get them though. I pick up a few whenever I find myself in Itaewon.
camel96

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiger Beer wrote:
camel96 wrote:

Hmmm.. was this all at one sitting?

Just curious.. because from what I understand.. they connection cost is what gets you. Particularly if you have to call a few different times to different people or getting answering machines or whatever else.

Now if you only made one phone call, never hung up, and talked continously until the time ran out.. then I'd find that suspicious.

Yeah one sitting. Actually maybe two. I was back in Itaewon today and went back to the place I bought it and the woman claimed she'd call the company on Monday and check what went wrong. She said if they *beep* up with the time you're given often they will recharge the card for you which will be sweet if it happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: