Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which notebook should I buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which notebook should I buy.
Samsung Sens X10
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
LG-IBM XNOTE LS50
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sony VAIO PGC-Z1VA
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
none of the above
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:11 am    Post subject: Which notebook should I buy? Reply with quote

I am going home in 10 days, but I think I have decided to buy a notebook here so I will be able to service it in Korea and I will have the hangeul keyboard. I will add English Windows XP when I get home. If I shouldn't buy it here, please tell me why.

I want: very light and portable with mobile internet and a long battery life, but the screen must be at least 14".

I want good sound and video so I can play games and listen to music and watch movies in stereo and be able to attatch it to external speakers and my t.v.

I will also want speed and at least 60GB harddrive.

I expect to pay around 2,500,000.

The IBM: http://www.noteman.co.kr/html/lg/lg_ls50_24ak.htm

The Samsung: http://www.noteman.co.kr/html/samsung/ss_sx10_vb264_14r.htm
(I can get 512MB memory with this one and a free 8 hour battery at Kukje Electronics next to Nambu terminal)

The Sony: http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=x7OJ9c_9wnCJ0PAzNJ2D_oDsVfcFuelzMTg=?CategoryName=pr_p_newcentrinonotebook_cpu&Dept=cpu&TemplateName=item%2fsy_item_b&ProductSKU=PCGZ1VA&ContentItemPage=

I did not see any Dell, Toshiba, or Compaq I like.

Thank you for all your time and help.

I forgot to mention I cannot buy the XNOTE or Sens in the USA
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shawner88

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the Samsung is the coolest model, you won't be able to get it serviced back home. I'd have to say the SONY wouldbe your best bet. It's expensive, but it's really cool and world service...the LG is plain ugly. I think having a decent looking computer, while not practical, boosts your enthusiasm about the machine.
huck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a computer in Korea. As far as the pricing goes compared with how much you get, Korea is at least a year behind the States. The laptop I bought two years ago at Best Buy - 1.3 Ghz processor, 512 MB Ram, 15" screen, DVD/CD-RW, etc. only cost $1300 then, and that would still cost so much more if you were to buy that laptop in Korea today.

I personally believe that the cell phones here are really nice, but the rest of the electronics, like digital cameras, digital camcorders, dvd players, laptops, etc. are about a year behind North America...probably due to the fact that if you want anything that's not a Korean brand name, then you have to pay so much extra for it.

But that's just my own personal opinion..... Razz
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
While the Samsung is the coolest model, you won't be able to get it serviced back home. I'd have to say the SONY wouldbe your best bet. It's expensive, but it's really cool and world service...the LG is plain ugly. I think having a decent looking computer, while not practical, boosts your enthusiasm about the machine.

I did not mention that Samsung has an international warranty. Also, I will be coming back to Korea. I am only going home for vacation.

The IBM is ugly, but have you seen the new XNOTE. It is the commercial where the woman wipes her lipstick on the computer and the guy does not get upset.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huck wrote:
I wouldn't buy a computer in Korea. As far as the pricing goes compared with how much you get, Korea is at least a year behind the States. The laptop I bought two years ago at Best Buy - 1.3 Ghz processor, 512 MB Ram, 15" screen, DVD/CD-RW, etc. only cost $1300 then, and that would still cost so much more if you were to buy that laptop in Korea today.

Yes, laptops are so much cheaper in the states. If you really want the Hangul keyboard that badly, you're going to have to pay through the nose for it.

I was back in the States a year ago, and picked up a sweet Toshiba laptop for $699 at CompUSA (still using it!). 1.5GHz processor, 256MB RAM, 20GB hard drive, DVD/CD-RW drive. Not exactly all the latest technology, but a sweet deal for that price at that time. And that was a year ago. Computer technology changes so quickly you could probably get a better machine for that price now.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huck wrote:

I personally believe that the cell phones here are really nice, but the rest of the electronics, like digital cameras, digital camcorders, dvd players, laptops, etc. are about a year behind North America...probably due to the fact that if you want anything that's not a Korean brand name, then you have to pay so much extra for it.

But that's just my own personal opinion..... Razz

For 1300 US you could get a P4 notebook.

I disagree Korea is a year behind. The only thing I have noticed Korea lacking in is new=cheaper, like in the usa. Also pretty sure Sony doesn't have a world wide warrenty. (be happy if they do)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: