Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

first post and I need some general information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kateinkorea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: first post and I need some general information Reply with quote

Please help. (I hope I am doing this right?)
Okay I am new at this.

First I think I want to come to Korea (I am in Canada right now) but wonder if there is a best place (China, Hong Kong, Japan, S. Korea, Thialand) dependant on what you are looking for?

If you are looking for fun? :)
Looking for the best way to earn money and be able to save the most.
The best place to live...ie cultural experience, safety etc.

Also...how does one get started?

I am a lot older than many on here and have heard it might be harder to get a job. Is that so? (I am 43 but still look and act very young).

Can I get some feedback on how this place is overall for someone who has never travelled much at all.

Thanks
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think that would depend on your qualifications and time you wish to spend in a foreign countery as to your choice of destination and salary. I'm sure someone who's been on the ESL tour can give you more indepth info though :/
dulouz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not there yet so I have no credibility in that regard but...

The people here (Daves ESL Korea Board) are real good, this is a good place for info but more importantly advice and (gasp!) wisdom. Surprised

I went through 6 recruiters, 2 were real good. I'm used to working for the gov't so there wasn't any of that negotiation business but there was with this. It was pretty cool. I felt fawned over, like back when I was 19 and I had 35 year women calling me up quite often. I miss that.

They seem to like girls more than boys, the age I'm sure didn't help but at worst it'll take you 3 days extra to find a job. I'm your age btw. Start early like a month before to really have a good flow of choices.

I've heard that you are supposed to come first and then look for a job and I really do agree but I seemed to have found a good place.

Everybody likes Seoul, if you hold out you'll get that.

I told my recruiters this

I want

Seoul first
East coast 2nd
Rest of Korea

Private accomodations

Adults first then younger kids

I got a mixed student class: kids, adults in Wonju with private accomodation

Korea is the best place for English teaching , they pay the most so the whole infrastructure is here, plane tickets, housing and the like.

Good Luck!

I can't advertise here for my recruiter but he is good and he is in Toronto. PM for his contact info.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dulouz wrote:
Everybody likes Seoul, if you hold out you'll get that.

Shocked They do? Everybody needs their head checked, then! Laughing

dulouz wrote:
I can't advertise here for my recruiter but he is good and he is in Toronto. PM for his contact info.

I bet I can guess... Surprised
edgelj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: I chose Korea but researched others Reply with quote

Hi,

When I first came to Korea I had also looked into Japan, China, and Taiwan.

The Salary in Japan is probably the best in Asia $2000 USD. Although Japan is expensive and I don't know if it is still the case but the contracts I was offered did not included accomodations and were for more. The people I met there said that once you got into the flow there you could still save lots of money. Having been there a couple times and having alot of Japanese friends in Korea, I think the culture is a lot more liberal and diverse and I think there is less negativity towards foreigners than here in Korea. With the exception of the north island (Fukuoka? I can never remember) The weather is more mild than most of Canada. (Except maybe the Vancouver area.)

China's private English school system is growing rapidly in preparation for the next Summer Games and the salaries are increasing $800+ USD. I had a business man offer me a job setting up a school but it seemed like he was doing it because everyone else in China was trying to cash in and I was worried that it would be a disaster at a shifty school. I still would like to go there but maybe when things are a little better established. My Chinese friends here in Korea are great. It's interesting that out of the many cultures I have come in contact with that they understand sarcasm better than others. The weather ranges depending on where you go.

Korea has a decent salary, not that of Japan's mind you but decent $1600 USD. The cost of living is cheap and the food is good (If you like spicy). I enjoy living here but admit it's not easy. Of course, where in Asia would not speaking the language at first make things easy? Koreans are generally kind but kind of hard to get to open up. Having been here two years I can say that it's pretty safe and I am pretty sure that CNN and our good buddy GW Razz is overreacting about North Korea. (Knock on wood.) The weather is too hot in the summer and the winter is cold but tolerable.

Taiwan has roughly the same salary as Korea but I've heard that sometimes housing is not included. You can watch it on the Life Network at home in Canada on a show called English Teachers. I only know two people from Taiwan but they are warm and generous people. If they're typical Taiwanese then I would be interested in going there. Of course the weather is tropical which is also a bonus. Very Happy

Of course there is an amazing culture and history throughout all of Asia as well but really, when we leave our small little sphere of North America, everywhere has more culture and history. I don't know if this has been helpful but I hope so. Good luck with your job search.

Lonnie Edge Cool
Han Can Connections
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: