Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

on the run....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: on the run.... Reply with quote

I just tried to give my hagwon notice of resignation after 4 months and they were having none of it. There were some threats about making me pay for the ticket and recruiter (even though it doesn't state this in my contract). If I pull the run can I just lose my passport in the future and come back. My school is a mess but I like Korea all right. What about them filing criminal charges? Thanks.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not in your contract there's definitely nothing that can be done about it...

I guess you can do the "lose the passport" thing, but I'm in no position to really speak on it.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you will find that for periods up to six months you will have to reimburse the employer the price of the airfare here, after that you only pay your own way home. Should you already have the return ticket, don't be surprised if they deduct this amount from any wages owed. As for them not accepting you resignation, you have the right to resign at any time, but must give 30 days notice. Don't expect to be able to stay in Korea and teach at another institute immediately, you will most probably have to gain new sponsorship from another employer and do a visa run.
There was a site listed on ths board somewhere that had a link to a Letter of Release document. You will need to get this signed by your employer, or should they refuse, take the unsigned copy, with you notice of resignation to immigration to follow the yellow brick road. If they are not playing by the rules, then more than likely they are not meeting their obligations in regard to Tax Laws etc in Korea, so go to the Tax Office with your Alien Card and request a statement of taxes paid. Drop this on your employer if they are giving you crap or won't sign a release.
Having said all that, you did sign a contract, and morally are obliged to stick to it, as is your employer.......legally who knows in this country, different strokes for different folks. I would suggest that if the terms of your contract have been breached, record the specifics in you Letter of Resignation and on the Notice of Release (should it not be signed) so that Immigration and any future emplyer knows why you cut early.

Still crazy, still here.
Homer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your boss has to release you if you give him notice. Its the law.
It might take some effort to make him or her respect that however.
The "losing your passport" thing is not recommended. Just follow through on your notice mate.
you will have to do a visa run when you get a new job and sponsor though.
As for the airfare reimbursement its a pretty standard clause in most contract if you leave before a certain amount of time. If like you say it is not included in yours then you could do ok and not have to pay or they might just deduct it straight out of your pay as you leave.
masty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should have given more information. I didn't do my visa run until two monrths ago even though I'd already been working for two months. Illegal, I know. Now the contract states I must give 2 months notice which I did. But the contract also states I have to pay the ticket back if not working for more than 6 months. If they accept my resignation I would have worked here more than the required 6 months by the time I leave, thereby honoring my "contract". If the Korean government didn't know that I was working though (and this is the problem) I would imagine my contract is useless. So I've basically gotten myself into a predicament where my director doesn't have to honor this piece of illegitimate paper even though I'm trying to. Is the midnight run necessary?
canukteacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was released from my first hogwan job. I thought everything between myself and the owner was fine...........UNTIL........the last payday came. There was NO money in my account. Remember these were hours I had already worked. I felt I should have been paid in full and on time.

Anyway, to make a long story short...........she insisted that I pay the airfare re. my Visa run,(this was after having worked for 7 months) and she was afraid that I would not pay some other bills. Anyway, she kept the money for the airfare, and I left money for the other bills. I am sure she came out ahead. Had she needed more money for the bills she would have been in touch. What can you do when they are holding your last pay cheque? Remember Koreans will always come out on top whenever money is involved. Sad, (but in my opinion, and experienc) very true.

CT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: