Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

for the cellphone experts........
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1980

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: for the cellphone experts........ Reply with quote

I am looking to buy a cellphone - which i will probably not use all that much - ideally i would like a picture phone so i can email pictures back home

as long as it can do that and make/receive calls i will be happy.

what sort of deal should i be looking at?? and how much should i be expecting to pay???

thanks
ed1980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone ?
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A phone you aren't going to use that much but you can take pictures with it? You can pick up a cyon phone for around 150,000 to 250,000 new that will take pictures or you can buy a separate camera for it and take pictures with it.

You can set it up on a cheap monthly service plan. If you don't have a koean credit card then either take a 400,000 deposit with you or have a korean friend come along who will sponsor you (your friend gets the bill and you have to pay your friend). If you have a Korean credit card then just set up your payments on it and there should be no deposit needed (refuse to pay it if tell you that you have to because you've already guaranteed payment with your credit card).

019-LG service is the cheapest and you'll get a better deal on the phone but the coverage isn't quite as good as 011/017-sk.

Try shopping around at Yongsan or at Technomart. There are lots of mobile shops and if you take your time asking questions and searching you can save yourself a significant amount of money on the cost of the phone. I got mine for 150,000...colour LCD screen, English menu option and photo ready, I just have to buy a camera for it. The regular price on this phone is around 250,000. Mine was new in the factory sealed box, so it pays to look around and get business cards.

If you want to go cheaper, you can also find used phones in these places that are just as good as some of the new models but also significantly cheaper. Some may be only a few months old and like new. My friend picked up a Samsung PDA phone, used for around 300,000. The regular price is upwards of 700,000.

Cheers
ed1980

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help
prairieboy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo.

Ask and you will receive...eventually Cool
Son Deureo!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prairieboy wrote:
You can set it up on a cheap monthly service plan. If you don't have a koean credit card then either take a 400,000 deposit with you or have a korean friend come along who will sponsor you (your friend gets the bill and you have to pay your friend). If you have a Korean credit card then just set up your payments on it and there should be no deposit needed (refuse to pay it if tell you that you have to because you've already guaranteed payment with your credit card).

I got around this by going with "card phone", where instead of getting billed for time every month, you pre-pay for your cell phone time one W10000 card at a time. You don't need a deposit, sponsor, or credit card with card phone.

One more thing I strongly recommend is that when you get your cell phone, make sure you learn how to use the text messaging option and use it regularly instead of making calls. It will save you a lot of money in cell phone time.
ed1980

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are text messages particularly cheap ??

I think I will get a cardphone - will have a look for a bargain soon

cheers
ChooChooPongPong

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:31 am    Post subject: Card phones are the way to go as long as u use 100 min cards Reply with quote

If you dont talk on the phone that much card phones are great. If you talk on the phone a little bit....they can get expensive. If you talk on the phone like a normal average person they are not a good idea UNLESS you get the prepaid cards that dial you out to a sattelite. There are a few different ones you can pick up in the Itaewon shops or Dongdaemun etc. I use Best Indonesia or some other Chinese one. I think KTF has one to but its not as generous with the minutes. Anyways, for 10,000 you get a 100 min card and that lasts me a couple weeks at least. I just get people to call me most of the time. Anyways, card phones are good for those who are not so into needless jabbering and into quick 3-5 minute phonecalls.
ed1980

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, a card phone is probably best?

i take it these cards can be bought at any phone retailler?

so a used camera card phone wil cost me............. ?????????
kylehawkins2000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a phone that you just prepay for. There are no cards needed. I just use the phone until it gives a weird warning beep (which tells me I am almost out of credit) then I go into a KT shop and tell them my number and hand them whatever money I want in credit on the phone.

Most of the time 20 000 is good for a month. I don't talk very much on my cell phone but I make a few calls of a few minutes in length everyday.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can one get a card phone in Ulsan, and with what company? Don't tell me Itaewon, please; since that's out of the question.

Cheers,

Joe
ed1980

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you go into a KT shop because thats where you got the phone kyle ? - or does that not matter ???
prairieboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of the company you choose to use for your cardphone service, simply go into a retailer and buy a phone (new or used). Take along a Korean friend if your Korean abilities aren't very good. Explain to them you'd like to use a pre-paid phone card. They will set up an account for you, give you a phone number and probably charge the credit up for you.

Setting up the account will probably cost around 30,000. The phone cards are generally 10,000 won. You can then buy cards as you use up your credit and call a toll-free number to access your account and add the card credit to it.

You generally have to buy a card at least every 30 days to keep your phone available for dialling out or sending messages. However if you are only going to receive calls you can go without adding credit to your account for a couple of months.

If you do happen to come to Seoul and visit Itaewon or any open electronics market (like in Dongdaemun, Namdaemun, Yongsan) you can pick up a phone that has already been set up (under someone else's name). All you have to do is buy a card and call up the toll-free number to add it to the account. Used phones can be had for around 10,000 or slightly more depending on the age of the phone.

I hope this has been helpful.

Cheers
ed1980

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just W10,000 ?? blimey
ChooChooPongPong

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: I just picked up a 160 min card at Dongdaemun Stadium:10$ Reply with quote

it's simply called "international calling card" and its blue with chinese writing and stuff all over it. this is the best value i've been able to find. its a new one. anyways...i dont use the prepaid cards that you get from KTF or whoever. its too expensive and its almost like using a pay phone. i just slap on 10,000 direct from KTF every couple months and this is what my text messages draw from. most peple pay about 50,000 a month for a real phone account and if i buy five cards for that much i can talk on the phone for a total of 800 minutes. do the math....its a good value! the only thing is you cant dial out easily from your phonebook or use one touch speed dial. you actually have to remember the numbers and that isnt always easy with some numbers...especially freaking 011 that just has to have that extra digit. besides a few minor annoyances...its worth it to get a card phone and avoid the hassle of a real account.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: