Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overclocking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Overclocking Reply with quote

1. What exactly is overclocking as it relates to processor speed?
  2. How does one do it?
  3. what are the advantages/disadvantages?
  4. How do you determine if your processor can be overclocked?
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Makes it go faster.
2. Increase the speed in which the frontside bus runs.
3. Your machine is faster / increased chance of instability as the speed is increased as well as possible damage from heat if the cooling system is poor.
4. Pretty much every processor sold these days can be overclocked. It's more a question of by how much, and how willing you are to take a risk.
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you do it?
waterbaby

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to interrup, I misread the title, thought the title was "overlocking" and wondering what kind of problem people have with us mods now Very Happy

Back to your computer business...
Hotuk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you do it?

In the old days you did it by resetting jumper pins on the computer's mainboard. Most modern computers have settings in the BIOS (the screen that comes up when you press "delete" or "F1" when you turn the computer on) where you can make these changes.

Gord's right that you increase the risk of instability or worse by pushing your system too far. But well-built mainboards have plenty of safety features that will shut it down before it ever gets that far.

You can increase the speed on your computer dramatically by overclocking. My AMD 2500+ (which really runs at about 1850mhz at the factory setting) will easily do 3000+ when pushed. The temperature of the chip goes up by 5-7c, according to the thermometer built-in to the mainboard, but that's well within tolerances. This gives me a system comparable (though not quite as fast) as Gord's, for a fraction of the cost.
Mashimaro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hotuk"]
Quote:
My AMD 2500+

I'll always remember my korean friends reactions when I told them I wanted an AMD Athlon instead of good old Intel. I was told Intel was 'better', but when I asked they just looked at me blankly. There seems to be a thing in Korea that more expensive = better! I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I did buy a pentium 4 as it was difficult to find anyone who knew much about AMD (I wasn't in Seoul)... that's all I wanted to say Smile
Gord

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mashimaro wrote:
I'll always remember my korean friends reactions when I told them I wanted an AMD Athlon instead of good old Intel. I was told Intel was 'better', but when I asked they just looked at me blankly. There seems to be a thing in Korea that more expensive = better! I'm slightly ashamed to admit that I did buy a pentium 4 as it was difficult to find anyone who knew much about AMD (I wasn't in Seoul)... that's all I wanted to say Smile

http://www.kassystems.com/html/benchmark.asp

From all the benchmarks we've conducted, the new 3.2GHz Pentium 4 clearly outperforms the fastest 3200+.

AMD stuff is no longer in the same league these days. It's cheaper, but you are paying for a slower product. Shame. It used to be cheaper and comparable.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh??? As far as I knew, AMDs outstrip Pentiums in performance, even when running at much lower clock speeds (My AMD2400+ is set to 1.8GHz yet still outperforms the 2.4GHz Pentium 4) Intel just used the higher speed thing as a marketing ploy to get people to buy them. The race for higher clock speeds! It's not worth overclocking your computer just for the sake of it, you'll burn your machine out faster (according to my Dad, 30 years an electronics/computer engineer)

Of course, I could have just got horribly lied to about AMDs being far superior to Pentiums.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMD's are superior only for certain applications, such as gaming.
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emma Clare wrote:
Of course, I could have just got horribly lied to about AMDs being far superior to Pentiums.

It used to be true two years ago. So if you were told that two years ago, you weren't lied to. If you were told that yesterday, you were lied to. Though they are more efficient processors and if marketed on their true clock rates (an AMD2500 being an actual 2500MHz), they would be faster.

Mark the Knife wrote:
AMD's are superior only for certain applications, such as gaming.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1068&page=6

AMD 3200 vs 3.2GHz P4C. Intel is faster in gaming, producing framerates 20% higher.
mack the knife

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...Intel is faster in gaming...

According to your link, Athlon64 appears to score higher, unless I'm reading the graphs wrong. Also, the site mentions that speed is heavily dependent upon your graphics card, which makes this all more or less a moot point.
Gord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mack the knife wrote:
Quote:
...Intel is faster in gaming...

According to your link, Athlon64 appears to score higher, unless I'm reading the graphs wrong. Also, the site mentions that speed is heavily dependent upon your graphics card, which makes this all more or less a moot point.

The Athlon64 is not really on the market in any numbers, nor is it cheap. But if we are going to pull the "price is no object" instead of generic consumer versions, then bust out the P4-Extreme Edition.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=808&page=5

The price of having the fastest chip does not come cheap.
Hotuk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But if we are going to pull the "price is no object" instead of generic consumer versions, then bust out the P4-Extreme Edition.

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=808&page=5

The price of having the fastest chip does not come cheap.

Gord's right - and that (for me) was the argument in favour of the AMD 2500+ Barton, vs the Pentium 2.6s or 2.8s. The overclocked XP 2500+'s performance is close (though not quite up - 90%?) to that of the Pentium 4 2.6+s, but cost half as much (110,000w). Anyone buying these things has to consider how much money they have, and what they're willing to spend.
Emma Clare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't swap my baby for the world. She does the job just fine.
Derrek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do video editing, then Intel is the only way to go.

On another note... they always compare these fully-packed intel machines with the fully-packed AMD ones. Only what they don't tell you is that the Intel chips can run a faster ram (which is much more expensive, and makes your system costs go sky high). Most consumers will never purchase the fastest ram memory to match the Intel's capability. If you start comparing apples to apples in the price range that most people are going to pay for a computer, then AMD is a better value.

As someone mentioned, it's better to buy the AMD and spend more money on a hotter video card if you are into games, anyway. The speed difference on the rest of the average applications and stuff is marginal these days.

Only if you get into graphic-instense editing, encoding, etc., do you need to worry about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: