Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

are digi cams cheaper in japan?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: are digi cams cheaper in japan? Reply with quote

are digi cams cheaper in japan?
I"m doing a visa run there this weekend and am toying with the idea of getting one.
jaebea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also really interested in responses to this thread.

Thanks in advance.

jae.
Horangi Munshin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about now, but back in September 2001, I bought a digicam in Japan. I could only buy Sony because everything else was only in Japanese. It cost me about 940,000won. At the time the same camera was going for 1.4mill in Lotte, a bit less (about 1.3mill) in some camera shops. I was living in Busan and bought the camera from a shop in Fukuoka.

Downside was no international warranty, but if I wanted to hop over to the same shop I'd get 3 years warranty from them.
the saint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a Sony Handycam DCR-TRV22 in Japan. It is one of the most popular models. I bought it at a regular electrical goods shop. I'm pretty sure you won't get the price much lower than that unless you buy over the net where you can usually shop around a lot more and might find one brand new for about Y60,000.

I paid Y67000 which equates to around W670,000 or thereabouts. It came with a year's warranty but obviously this is just in Japan.

How does that compare?

FYI, I am well pleased with it.
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I think digicams are cheaper. And not only Sony cameras, also Nikon, Canon and Pentax cameras come with English menus.
The cheapest places to get them are Yodobashi or Bic Camera, they are huge electronic stores. If you get a point card (need to fill in a form in Japanese though... get a Japanese to help you maybe), you get minimum 10% and if you are lucky up to 20% of the price in points, which you can use immediately afterwards to buy other stuff (memory cards, extra battery, etc). The % of points you can get is usually marked on the price tag.
Oh, don't forget there is a 5% tax which is NOT included in the price shown! Beats the 21% VAT we have to pay in Europe though!!!

http://www.biccamera.com/bicbic/jsp/w/catalog/list.jsp?DISP_CATEGORY_ID=361010&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=36&BACK_URL=d_camera/index.jsp (only Japanese, but you should be able to make out the model and price in yen, and the % of points you can get)

http://www.yodobashi.com/c/89.html (also only Japanese)
the saint

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peppergirl's right about points provided you sign up for a card. It usually equates to about a 10% discount once you spend the points (can't spend them on what you are currently buying if you get my drift so no good for a one-off purchase). However, I would caution against expecting English anything.

Yes, my Sony digital camera came with a setting for an English menu (which the clerk in store knew nothing about. I discovered this by accident once I had bought it) but no, the Sony video camera had Japanese only.

One tip: you can usually download at least the manual in English from the company support website. Just go to www.[your maker].com and browse for support or downloads to find manuals. This is the way I have done it.
peppergirl

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents bought 2 digital cameras in Japan when they were visiting me there a few months ago, so I esp. asked which brands of digital cameras had English menus. They bought Canon, these definitely have English menus, friends also bought Nikon and Canon, they all have English menus. I think Pentax digicams had too, not too sure about that... but the Fujifilm ones definitely did NOT.

Videocameras: Sony has special overseas models, with English menus (bought 2 on different occasions for friends back home - huge difference in price, partly because of the 21% tax in many EU countries), they have both PAL and NTSC versions, AND a world-wide guarantee. In Yodobashi and Bic Camera they have a seperate counter with the overseas models.

I wouldn't really advise to buy in Akihabara (famous area in Tokyo for buying electronics), as their prices are usually higher than the big electronics stores I mentioned before... the only advantage there is that they speak English.
the saint

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaahhhh, I learn something new...
SuperFly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year my wife went through duty free in Japan and bought a Sony DCR-TRV22 -- $900. I went to FRY's electronics and it was $750 for the same model. All menus were in Engrish.

[insert crying smiley here]
the saint

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I picked one up for around US$700 a few months ago at my local electronics shop (nothing big or fancy and no special discount).

It maybe duty free but when will the world catch on that the prices still suck in airports Rolling Eyes
peppergirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, as I was living in Japan it didn't apply to me, but if you are not a resident in Japan you can get out of paying th 5% tax by showing your passport. At least in Yodobashi and Bic Camera. According to a friend, if you buy duty-free in Yodobashi, they won't give you the points, but at Bic Camera you could get the 5% tax reduction, and still get 10% or more on your point card.
And I agree that duty-free at airports are NOT cheaper... Only cigarettes are cheaper then elsewhere.
IconsFanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ulsanchris,

Swing by Busan, visit the Nampo-dong market, figure out where the electronic goods section is, and buy a Japanese-made camera there.

If you buy Japanese goods from the "official" (aka "non-dodgy") shops in Korea, you pay a huge import fee. Look for the small shops.

Bought a digicam myself soon after arriving here for W500,000. Insisted on a Japanese camera; everything Korean seems to fall apart (fridge, mobile, air conditioner, digital audio recorder....).

Last edited by IconsFanatic on Wed Dec 24, 2003 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I glanced at a few cameras in Japan. The few models i looked at seemed to be the same price or more expensive than in korea.
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IconsFanatic wrote:
everything Korean seems to fall apart (fridge, mobile, air conditioner, digital audio recorder....).

Ballpoint pens, lighters, notebooks: even non-digital!

Joe
Cthulhu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital cameras have become a lot cheaper back home too. I'm heading to Futureshop on Boxing Day to pick up a 4 megapixel Casio QV-R40 for CDN$299+tax. In Yongsan in September they wanted 320,000 for a no-warranty Canon A70 and 380,000 for one with warranty. Not sure how things compare with Japan but they're getting much better here compared to Korea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: