Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multi-system VCR+decent PS2 games-where???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Multi-system VCR+decent PS2 games-where??? Reply with quote

I have a number of great BBC comedy compilations on PAL vhs :Blackadder, Red Dwarf, Bottom, as well as Simpsons videos, which I watched no problem on a multi-system VCR in Thailand. Now, I brought the videos with me from BKK but they wont play.

Where can I get a multi-system VCR in Seoul and how much for a cheap one? Also, the selection of PS2 games was crap in Pohang, all mostly in Korean, Japanese or Konglish(Socom), hence I got bored and sold the fecker(PS2). If I buy another PS2 in Seoul is there anywhere to find a good selection of games(in English) like Vice City, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, etc???

BB
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno for sure about the VCR, but for this kind of stuff Techno Mart and the Yongsan Electronics market are always the best bets.

For the PS2, you can buy one in Yongsan and get it chipped. Then you can play burned games, which many of the vendors there sell, and many of them are in English. If you want to play English games this is really the only way to do it since almost all of the non-burned original games are in Korean at Yongsan as well. I bought a PS2 about a month ago and I've already accumulated about eight games, all English versions except for one half-and-half.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are the burned(pirated) games? Are they just as good quality as original ones??

Can you get the latest selection of games??

BB
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A direct DVD to DVD (or CD to CD) copy for a PS2 game is perfect. It's like playing the actual original, no problems.

However, there are some copies which are DVD to CD (known as a DVD-rip). The difference in space means they usually take out (rip out - hence the name) things which PROBABLY won't make a difference (this is completely up to the group who packaged the rip). Usually, it will be in the form of language files, such as Spanish or French commentary, and doesn't really impact the game at all.

However, on a game like GranTurismo Concept: Tokyo to Geneva, the rippers had to take out dusk/dawn textures and hack them up to use the night time textures. Obviously this doesn't really affect gameplay, but for a purist like me, I think this is a bigger deal than removing German commentary that I will NEVER listen to. :)

Then for the REALLY packed DVD's, they'll remove pre-rendered cutscenes or downsample them to fit on the CD.

In any case, if you obtain a DVD copy of a game, 99% sure it will be the exact same as the original.

As for the latest games, this is pretty tough to say, as it will depend on the proprietor of the shop. If he's keen, then he'll probably be downloading all the latest DVD games onto his computer then burning them off. If this is the case, and he's got a bit of initiative, he can get games before they even hit the shelves.

On the other hand, if it's some small time guy who's just interested in turning a buck, he'll probably have all the big titles but the niche ones are unlikely to be stocked.

jae.
hadeshorn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a computer and a fast internet connection. Download your favourite shows.

Kick in Bit Torrent and head over to www.suprnova.org

Enjoy.. Im going back to watching The Office
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
How much are the burned(pirated) games? Are they just as good quality as original ones??

Can you get the latest selection of games??

BB

Around 18,000 for DVD games, 8,000 for CD games (see jaebea's post above).

The great advantage to buying burned games (other than cost) is that you can buy games that may never be released in Korea. And there is very little time lag. Burned games are often available the day after the title's official release, if not earlier.
FierceInvalid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've only been to the one shop so far, paid 15,000 each for my games (all DVD) and they're all pretty new games - Hitman 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, NBA Live 2004, XIII, and others. The only drawback I've had so far is that obviously you don't get a manual with a burned game so if there's not a good tutorial mission (I'm lookin at you, XIII) or way to look up the controls within the game itself there can be some frustrating trial and error. Pretty minor issue really, though I'm not going to even attempt a Final Fantasy game without the book.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FierceInvalid wrote:
Yeah I've only been to the one shop so far, paid 15,000 each for my games (all DVD) and they're all pretty new games - Hitman 2, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, NBA Live 2004, XIII, and others. The only drawback I've had so far is that obviously you don't get a manual with a burned game so if there's not a good tutorial mission (I'm lookin at you, XIII) or way to look up the controls within the game itself there can be some frustrating trial and error. Pretty minor issue really, though I'm not going to even attempt a Final Fantasy game without the book.

I'm working through XIII now. That's a good example of a game that isn't available in Korea except as a burned game.

Just do a Web search for XIII + PS2 + walkthrough and print out whatever looks helpful.
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.

Have you seen any of these games available(in English): GTA-Vice City; GTA III; Resident Evil-Code Veronica; Max Payne 1 or 2; Escape from Monkey Island; Onimusha 2 or 3; Tenchu 1,2 or 3; Tomb Raider-Angel of Darkness; or 'the Thing'??

Also, can you recommend any good games in a similiar genre that may be available in Seoul? I am waiting for MGS3, Syphon Filter-Omega Strain, Res Evil-Outbreak, etc.

BB
bulgogiboy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Yongsan, is about 250,000W about the right price for a PS2 with just a controller? How much to get it chipped?

BB
jaebea

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamefaqs.com is your ultimate resource for gaming help. From walkthroughs to in depth guides, this place is your one stop shop.

I've found that the Final Fantasy games are pretty good when it comes to pick up and play. The first hour or so has a lot of in-game help in regards to combat/magic/inventory systems. I've never really struggled without the manual to be honest.

jae.
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulgogiboy wrote:
Thanks everyone.

Have you seen any of these games available(in English): GTA-Vice City; GTA III; Resident Evil-Code Veronica; Max Payne 1 or 2; Escape from Monkey Island; Onimusha 2 or 3; Tenchu 1,2 or 3; Tomb Raider-Angel of Darkness; or 'the Thing'??

Also, can you recommend any good games in a similiar genre that may be available in Seoul? I am waiting for MGS3, Syphon Filter-Omega Strain, Res Evil-Outbreak, etc.

BB

I've seen (and/or have) in English copies of GTA-Vice City, GTA III, Max Payne, Max Payne 2, and The Thing. The other ones are most likely available.

Japanese games are also easy to find if you're into those.

Cost varies depending on where you go, but you should be able to buy a new PS2 (with one controller) for less than 200,000 won and have it chipped for no more than 50,000 won or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: