Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking western food in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scamps

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use a lot of vegetables and herbs..are you sure? Everything you mentioned is meat-based. Sad
I think you might need to change your diet and adapt to Korean food.
Have you been offered a job? When are you coming and where are you going to live?
I can give you some Korean recipes.
mdickun83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly do eat a ton of meat. But I spice it up with herbs and veggies... actually, the only veggies I eat really are peppers, onions and, strangely, spinach.

I got my job offer. I'll be living in Daegu.
ajuma

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, eat all the Italian sausage you can before you come here because you aren't going to find ANYTHING that's even close!

I don't buy green peppers often but I think they're a bit pricey. Fresh spinach can be really cheap or really expensive, depending on the season.

Sounds like you need to bring things like oregano, basil, Italian seasonings...what ever you use the most of, it's good to bring the "deluxe" size!

Something tells me that you're either going to starve, learn to make do with what you can find here, or develop a taste for Korean food! Very Happy
lorenchristopher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love pesto. One of my favorite things to make is chicken pesto pasta because it's so yummy/quick/easy.

You need:
pesto
chicken breast
pasta
olive oil or another cooking oil

I get one of those huge things of pesto from Costco and then freeze it in smaller containers so I can use it gradually and it stays fresh. Boil some pasta (my favorite is bow-tie). White chicken breast (also from Costco....the bag of frozen ones are great) in a pan with olive oil and Italian seasoning. Cut up the chicken and when the pasta is finished, drain and mix everything. Yum.

I make a big pot of it and then tupperware the rest. If you want to get fancy you can add mushrooms and/or finely crushed peanuts! Razz
red_devil

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scamps wrote:
The supermarkets here don't have any western food except for spaghetti and a few Korean tomato sauces. You can find some foreign tomato sauces, cream, pesto but it depends on the store.
As for spices, those are very limited, basically, dried parsley, dried basil, rosemary, thyme, tumeric and oregano.
But you can find more spices through online Korean sites once you're here so you don't have to lug everything from home. There's also a store called The Foreign Mart which is a blessing here.

B1 of Lotte Department Store right outside of Hanti in Daechi-dong has a large foreign foods section. B1 of Hyundai Dept Store @COEX also has a foreign foods section. Between these two i've found almost everything i needed. Costco if i'm absolutely desperate to find something. Otherwise if i'm not on a time crunch and want a specific brand of foreign foods i'll check those online sites.

P.S. Does E-Mart carry hot dog buns? I haven't found them at any store, bakery, etc...might have to order them online.
nick70100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:

P.S. Does E-Mart carry hot dog buns? I haven't found them at any store, bakery, etc...might have to order them online.

They have them at Lotte Mart, at least they do at the 2 locations near me. I've never seen them at E-Mart though.
Morticae

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any opinions on this big boy?

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=179659205&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T

I'm looking to do some baking... lasagna, pizza, etc! So I am hoping that it is big enough, but I'm not really certain. The price is decent, if it works well enough it'd certainly be worth the cost.
caliburn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morticae wrote:
Any opinions on this big boy?

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=179659205&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T

I'm looking to do some baking... lasagna, pizza, etc! So I am hoping that it is big enough, but I'm not really certain. The price is decent, if it works well enough it'd certainly be worth the cost.

It should be more than large enough for pizza. Some of the pictures show a 12" pizza pan with it. I still don't know why Korean pizza pans aren't smooth.

Do you have a lasagna pan or timbale? If so, measure it and see if it would fit. The dimensions inside the oven are 40.5cm x 30.5cm x 34.5cm. if your pan is even close to one of these, the oven probably wouldn't be a good choice for you, for good even baking you would need room for the air to circulate. However, if you find that there is plenty of room with these dimensions, you might want to downgrade to the 33L oven and save a bit of money.
Epuhnee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sure it's big enough for what you're wanting to make. I bought a 9L toaster oven and I'm able to make small pizzas and cakes with it. The one you're looking at is 45L.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where one could get a pizza stone? I recently bought a pan, and it just isn't the same without a stone. I like a nice NYC-style crust--crispy and thin--and a pan makes it too fluffy and soft.
Epuhnee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Does anyone know where one could get a pizza stone? I recently bought a pan, and it just isn't the same without a stone. I like a nice NYC-style crust--crispy and thin--and a pan makes it too fluffy and soft.

I found one on gmarket but it's pricey:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=168783461&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

I had the same problem but I find that brushing the pan and all around the crust with olive oil before baking makes it crispier.

Last edited by Epuhnee on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
red_devil

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good lord, the meat and produce price inflation is nuts. One Bell Pepper was going for 3,000 won. For two small steaks i paid 33,000 won. There was no pre-mixed salad...i could buy it from the deli but for a small salad they wanted nearly 10,000 won for it.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Poukum. I may splurge for the stone, but shall try your olive oil approach first. My boyfriend likes it as is, but he's never had a NY pie...
Epuhnee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ no problem. Smile let me know if the olive oil worked out for you.
red_devil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poukum wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

I found one on gmarket but it's pricey:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=168783461&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

I had the same problem but I find that brushing the pan and all around the crust with olive oil before baking makes it crispier.

60,000 for a 3-piece set is not pricey is it???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 20 of 23

Jump to: