Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking western food in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Epuhnee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

red_devil wrote:
Poukum wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
Does anyone know where one could get a pizza stone? I recently bought a pan, and it just isn't the same without a stone. I like a nice NYC-style crust--crispy and thin--and a pan makes it too fluffy and soft.

I found one on gmarket but it's pricey:

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=168783461&pos_shop_cd=RC&pos_class_cd=111111111&pos_class_kind=T

I had the same problem but I find that brushing the pan and all around the crust with olive oil before baking makes it crispier.

60,000 for a 3-piece set is not pricey is it???

well i also checked ebay and the exact set is selling for a buy it now price of $9.99 here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bialetti-Pizza-Stone-Cutter-Set-3-Pc-NEW-/270707189420?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0767e6ac

but the shipping cost is $30.99 (to south korea) so it's practically the same price as the one on gmarket.
nikki15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this recipe out here (I used to make it back home) and it worked great, IF you have an oven. I used a little toaster oven.

Many people miss Mac & Cheese....now you can make it yourself!

Easy Macaroni and Cheese
3 Tbsp margarine
2 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
1/2 lb cheese grated (old is best) not sure what 1/2 lb is I just use a couple of cups
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups of milk

Melt butter in baking dish. Pour macaroni into melted butter.
Stir until butter coats macaroni. Add salt, pepper and cheese to macaroni.
Pour milk over top. Do not stir. Bake uncovered, at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Do not stir while baking.

You have to alter it slightly, as a baking dish doesn't fit in a toaster oven. I used 4 small aluminum tins that I bought from Homeplus. Mixed the butter and pasta and divided it into the 4 tins, then added everything else. I just used regular marble cheese from Costco. It takes less time to cook, but you should cover it with tin foil earlier to avoid the cheese burning. Depending on how big of an eater you are, this recipe makes 4 servings.

Enjoy Smile
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a week ago, I roasted some halved cherry tomatoes in my oven. I didn't add any oil or spices, because, after they were finished, I put the roasted tomatoes and some basil leaves in some olive oil. I let them infuse for about 4 or 5 days, then made some whole-wheat spaghetti, added pesto, and the roasted tomatoes. I served it with a poached egg on top. Nomnomnom

Now, I have the olive oil and basil leaves left over, so am going to brush it over some whole-wheat pizza dough with some sliced tomatoes and bake it this weekend.
kimun

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one thing I miss in Korea is the local cajun food in New Orleans. Craved it so much I decided to make Jambalaya from scratch and after the fourth try came out great. Trick is to find the American rice and Sausage and everything else is pretty simple.
lonestarteacher

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
About a week ago, I roasted some halved cherry tomatoes in my oven. I didn't add any oil or spices, because, after they were finished, I put the roasted tomatoes and some basil leaves in some olive oil. I let them infuse for about 4 or 5 days, then made some whole-wheat spaghetti, added pesto, and the roasted tomatoes. I served it with a poached egg on top. Nomnomnom

Now, I have the olive oil and basil leaves left over, so am going to brush it over some whole-wheat pizza dough with some sliced tomatoes and bake it this weekend.

That sounds divine. Another thing you can do to spice it up is take some crushed red pepper and leave it infusing in oil until it turns this bright vivid red to kick up the rustic flavors that Italian foods crave.

Fried basil leaves are also a great addition as well as a dry cheese oven crisp (Romano, Parmigiano, Asiago).
jfry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iherb.com has a lot of spices and groceries that can you have delivered to you. They have fast shipping to Korea for about $4 and the products are good and usually discounted.

First time buyers can use this coupon code to get $5 off your first order YAJ537
ryanbrezzi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costco is a great place to get ingredients, if you can stomach the size of the packages. And there's a good market in Hannam dong.
Reset

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reset!

Last edited by Reset on Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lonestarteacher wrote:
NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:

That sounds divine. Another thing you can do to spice it up is take some crushed red pepper and leave it infusing in oil until it turns this bright vivid red to kick up the rustic flavors that Italian foods crave.

Fried basil leaves are also a great addition as well as a dry cheese oven crisp (Romano, Parmigiano, Asiago).

I'll definitely try the crushed red pepper the next time I make infused oil. That sounds great! Thanks!

This week, I made my husband a couple of loaves of bread using reconstituted buttermilk powder, a pack of cheese powder that he hadn't used when he wanted pasta and all we had was a box of mac and cheese (he used tomato sauce instaed) and some melted butter. It was amazing. I'll make it again without the cheese powder, though. The buttermilk powder was purchased via iherb.com and keeps for a long time.
fermentation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know where I can get wholewheat lasagna noodles?
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reset wrote:
What's the deal with bread in Korea? I'm going over there soon, and i'm wondering how difficult it is to find any kind of whole grain bread?
Also, is it hard to find snackbread (ie, Ryvita, Wassa)?

You can get Ryvita (among other bread snacks) at iHerb. Traditional German rye breads you can also find.

Maybe you can at Homeplus as well? I'm not sure. If you want to try iHerb, shipping to Korea is relatively inexpensive. For Ryvita, if you want only a few boxes and can wait for 2 weeks, use USPS airmail. If you want to buy 6 boxes, use CJ GLS shipping, and you'll have them within a week (cost is about 10 USD)

If you've never used iHerb before and would like $5 off, use coupon code XAP021. Sure, I get a small amount of order credit if you use the code, but whatever, you get $5 off and iHerb is an excellent resource if you live in Korea.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iherb has ryvita, but for a healthier alternative, try the Scandinavian crisp bread. It's not as delicious, but with a nice topping, it's still yummy and has far more fiber (I believe 5 grams per cracker, maybe 2 crackers.)

I ordered the white cheddar cheese powder from iherb, and have been sprinkling that over homemade popcorn. It's just like smart pop, but healthier (I use less cheese and there are no preservatives.)
DanseurVertical

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC_Gal 2.0 wrote:
iherb has ryvita, but for a healthier alternative, try the Scandinavian crisp bread. It's not as delicious, but with a nice topping, it's still yummy and has far more fiber (I believe 5 grams per cracker, maybe 2 crackers.)

When I was in elementary school I would sometimes bring the Wasa bread to make little lunch sandwiches. I let some other kids try it, and a joke developed among us to call it 'petrified cardboard' :D But with the right topping, all the Scandinavian crispbreads are good. As a desert, I'm especially fond of the cinnamon Wasa with cream cheese.

Quote:
I ordered the white cheddar cheese powder from iherb, and have been sprinkling that over homemade popcorn. It's just like smart pop, but healthier (I use less cheese and there are no preservatives.)

I grew up among corn fields, so I miss good popcorn. Do you make your popcorn in a pan on the stove? Or is there plain microwavable popcorn?
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make it on the stove. Now that it's fall, I miss being able to get the popcorn on the cob. They had it at the big Union Square farmer's market in NYC. It looks like Indian corn, but you can microwave it in a paper bag. The insides are red, white, or blue. My little brother and I used to get the red ears. I always add unflavored popcorn to tomato soup to create an awesome corn/tomato sponge. My little brother dips his popcorn into the soup instead. I like my method better.

Try the cheese powder, though. It's great!

I like the crisp breads with the following combinations:

brie or blue cheese, toasted, with sliced apple
cream cheese and onion powder
Marmite and cottage cheese
cheddar and Branston Pickle, toasted
homemade "refried" (stewed) beans with salsa and cheese, toasted
American cheese with hot sauce, toasted
cottage cheese and black pepper

I bake maple cinnamon raisin bread.
ajuma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikki15 wrote:
I tried this recipe out here (I used to make it back home) and it worked great, IF you have an oven. I used a little toaster oven.

Many people miss Mac & Cheese....now you can make it yourself!

Easy Macaroni and Cheese
3 Tbsp margarine
2 1/2 cup uncooked macaroni
1/2 lb cheese grated (old is best) not sure what 1/2 lb is I just use a couple of cups
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 cups of milk

Melt butter in baking dish. Pour macaroni into melted butter.
Stir until butter coats macaroni. Add salt, pepper and cheese to macaroni.
Pour milk over top. Do not stir. Bake uncovered, at 350 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Do not stir while baking.

You have to alter it slightly, as a baking dish doesn't fit in a toaster oven. I used 4 small aluminum tins that I bought from Homeplus. Mixed the butter and pasta and divided it into the 4 tins, then added everything else. I just used regular marble cheese from Costco. It takes less time to cook, but you should cover it with tin foil earlier to avoid the cheese burning. Depending on how big of an eater you are, this recipe makes 4 servings.

Enjoy Smile

Well, this is all well and good, but I have a SUPER easy mac and cheese recipe!

Boil up some pasta. Put it in a micro safe bowl. Put a couple of slices of your favorite cheese (pepper jack is my favorite...but the muenster slices that you can get at Costco rocks!) on the top. Nuke for 40ish seconds. Add a bit of pepper (ground or canned) if you like.

Enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 21 of 23

Jump to: