Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cooking western food in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpetdope

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
Hey,
I got a major craving for pies recently, and decided to try and whip a couple up at my school (there's a kitchen).

My question, I've never been a pro at making pastry, generally springing for frozen pie shells.

Has anyone seen frozen pie shells in Korea? (I live in Incheon)

If I can't track them down I'll just jury-rig something with cracker crumbs and butter Razz

I've been using parathas, which you can find at homeplus.
Just maybe roll them a little flatter when they thaw out.
Almost indistinguishable from puff. I use them for sausage rolls.
Ck10n3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made an awesome dish!

I got Bob's Red Mill Lentils on iHerb

http://www.iherb.com/bob-s-red-mill-red-lentils-27-oz-765-g/35669#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-us&w=bob%27s%20red%20mill%20lentils&rc=360&sr=null&ic=2?rcode=cih211

1 med onion, diced

2-3 cloves garlic, minced

2 med carrots, thinly sliced

1/2 c red lentils (rinsed, if necessary)

1.5 c veggie broth

1 med diced roasted butternut squash (about 2 cups)*

1 lg bag fresh spinach (about 4 cups)

Juice of 1 lemon (2-3 TBSP)

Seasoning to taste (I used salt, pepper, coriander, paprika, and a tiny bit of garam marsala, which I won’t use again (because the cinnamon didn’t do it for me))

Sautee onions, garlic, and carrot in a tablespoon or so of veggie broth or water until tender (about 10 minutes). Add red lentils, veggie broth and seasonings. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer. Cover and cook until lentils are tender – about 15 minutes. Check often to make sure there is enough liquid. Once lentils are tender/creamy, stir in roasted butternut squash cubes* and spinach by the handful, wilting each batch before adding more. Serve when squash and spinach are heated through.

*To Roast Squash: Place whole butternut squash in microwave and cook for 5-6 minutes (depending upon size of squash). Remove with a towel and peel outside of squash. Cut now softened squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. (Apparently you can soak the seeds and goo, which will sink to the bottom, then roast the seeds like pumpkin seeds. I haven’t tried this.) Slice halves in half than in half again and cut strips into about the same sized cube pieces. Place cubes on a cookie sheet lined with foil and sprayed with cooking spray. Roast squash at 425F for about 45 minutes or until fork tender.

Most of the recipes I’ve seen for this type of dish contain white or sweet potato, but as much as I love both, my weight doesn’t, so for a much better calorie deal (with about the same amount of nutrition), butternut squash is a great substitute.

I only got two servings out of all that food, but I didn’t eat it with anything else. I suppose a better idea would be to pair it with a nice, big, green salad. Maybe next time!

Ah by the way I used the code CIH211, sweet way to get cheaper stuff on iHerb.
joannabanana22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Recipes Reply with quote

Here are two blogs of people living in korea who cook http://afatgirlsfoodguide.com/ and http://simmeringseoul2.blogspot.com/
joannabanana22

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Recipes Reply with quote

Here are two blogs of people living in korea who cook http://afatgirlsfoodguide.com/ and http://simmeringseoul2.blogspot.com/
skinsk05

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Natural and Organic Foods, spices, etc. . . Reply with quote

No matter where you live in Korea, you can get your favorites from Cliff Bars to Italian or Mexican spices, to organic whole wheat pizza mix, to Kalamata olives (cheaper than you can even get in Seoul, and organic!), tahini, falafel mix. . . Clif bars, I could go on and on (also good supplements and bath products-- like bubble bath). . . at www.iherb.com They deliver cheaply (usually $4 flat unless you oder more than 15 pounds) and the prices are generally less than manufactureres suggested prices.

Once you order, they give you a code to share so you get credit for people you recommend towards your future orders. If you use my code, I get credit for the referral, and you save $5-10 off your first order (there are many of these codes around, but of course, I'd appreciate you using mine). I would absolutely not promote this company if I wasn't 100% satisfied. They have made my life in Korea sooo much better over the last few years. I also recommend the cajun seseme sticks for those who crave savory.

My discount code: NAP720
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: