Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New noise laws in Korea - from today
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: New noise laws in Korea - from today Reply with quote

I saw on the news last night. from today there are new anti-noise laws that have been introduced.

I couldn't fully understand what they were saying, but they cover noisy neighbours. Not sure the level of noise, or how it'll be enforced though......
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: New noise laws in Korea - from today Reply with quote

Lucas wrote:
I saw on the news last night. from today there are new anti-noise laws that have been introduced.

I couldn't fully understand what they were saying, but they cover noisy neighbours. Not sure the level of noise, or how it'll be enforced though......

i thought i could see something about that on the news but i couldn't hear it because my neigbours above me were gay wrestling again.

At least its something to threaten with now when you have to pin notes to peoples doors - constantly...
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that'll be just as effective as the push to keep traffic out of intersections a few months back!
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bloody joke. I assume that "as of today" means the law went into force at midnight. Could someone then tell me why I'm so bloody tired today. No, let me tell you. At 2:15 am this morning I was awakened by two extremely loud ajoshies yelling and scrteaming at each other outside my villa. This went on for approximaterly half an hour, with the decibel level increasing. It was a case of drunk peasants trying to win a drunken argument by seeing who could yell the loudest. I'm assuming both won, and walked away with their dignity intact. Confused

Problem is, they woke up the entire neighborhood and kept them awake. After they'd finished their quarrell I couldn't get back to sleep for another hour. Utter and complete lack of consideration for others. And the thing is, there's a police station nearby. They must have heard the yelling at some point, or received a phone complaint, but did nothing.

I expect to be awakened during the night by cats fighting, not grown adults. Confused

This law will be enforced just like the no motorcycles on sidewalks law of four years ago. In other words, not at all.
Lucas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Problem is, they woke up the entire neighborhood and kept them awake. After they'd finished their quarrell I couldn't get back to sleep for another hour. Utter and complete lack of consideration for others. And the thing is, there's a police station nearby. They must have heard the yelling at some point, or received a phone complaint, but did nothing.

I wouldn't rule out the police being the ones fighting!

There was another news report on the other night, this one was about the police.

Gambling/drinking ect - on duty it think! Rolling Eyes
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even the cats outside my window seem louder than other counties Ive been to
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
even the cats outside my window seem louder than other counties Ive been to

fighting to be heard over the noise
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making noise is at the very core of Korean culture. They do NOTHING quietly. Ever, at any time. Anywhere. If they are forced to be quiet the entire peninsula will implode in on itself. Noise is what they do, and what they are. Germany has Beethoven, Austria has Mozart. Korea has those guys banging pots and pans. Koreans don't walk, they stomp. They don't close doors or cupboards, they slam them. They don't talk, they yell.

If noise is removed from this country, what would be left of the culture could fit into a matchbox.
optik404

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks that you're stuck here huh?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
Making noise is at the very core of Korean culture. They do NOTHING quietly. Ever, at any time. Anywhere. If they are forced to be quiet the entire peninsula will implode in on itself. Noise is what they do, and what they are. Germany has Beethoven, Austria has Mozart. Korea has those guys banging pots and pans. Koreans don't walk, they stomp. They don't close doors or cupboards, they slam them. They don't talk, they yell.

If noise is removed from this country, what would be left of the culture could fit into a matchbox.

Thank goodness I can go back home to people quietly conversing at bars and restaurants, classical music everywhere, a complete absence of twenty-something drunkenly yelling, quiet car stereos, discussions on Proust over a game of backgammon, an absence of house parties, gunshots, noisy pool parties and bbqs, and calm dining experiences at fast food restaurants.
wanderkind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:

I generally find Koreans quiet, unless they're A) elementary kids, B) selling something, C) talking on the phone, or D) drunk.

But BCD accounts for a lot of adults, and when they want to be loud, yes, they're loud. as. shit.

(The phone thing I REALLY don't understand though. Like...everyone in the subway is silent, the place is a tomb, in accordance with posted subway etiquette, but as soon as someone gets a phone call they inevitably seem to feel obligated to shout into the damn thing. It's a cellphone, FFS, you're not standing across a gorge from someone!)
waynehead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How have some of you not discovered ear plugs? Using them + my super loud alarm clock means I can get a good night's rest without worrying about sleeping through my alarm, this despite my would-be opera singing neighbor who lives above me and loves to serenade the building post 3AM.
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynehead wrote:
How have some of you not discovered ear plugs? Using them + my super loud alarm clock means I can get a good night's rest without worrying about sleeping through my alarm, this despite my would-be opera singing neighbor who lives above me and loves to serenade the building post 3AM.

I had earplugs in. (I never go to bed here without them.) Yet I was still awakened by grown adults yelling at each other in the street at 2am. Do these men not have wives to drag them inside and tell them to catch themselves on? Do they have no self-respect, respect for others, or that inner voice that tells them they're being a total dick, to shut the f@ck up and go home to bed? Honestly, even retarded eight year olds tire of yelling at each other after a few minutes. But ajoshie must save face, and that means the other person must stop yelling first. The neighbors be damned. Civilized behavior be damned. I'm not going to stop yelling until that guy does.

Shocked
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waynehead wrote:

ear plugs don't work here man! Not unless you've got access to some kind of 'stark industries' models that we don't know about?

Im not a heavy sleeper and Ive had to resort to ear buds and white noise, every single night. My last neighbour was so bad, I could even feel the vibrations shaking my bed every-time she stamped around her room (She denied it point blank when I accosted her too!)

My plan is, to learn sign language, and when Im good enough, stick a knitting needle into my ear drums. Or go home - I haven't decided yet.

plaugs don't do nothing man... nothing...
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Smithington wrote:

Thank goodness I can go back home to people quietly conversing at bars and restaurants, classical music everywhere, a complete absence of twenty-something drunkenly yelling, quiet car stereos, discussions on Proust over a game of backgammon, an absence of house parties, gunshots, noisy pool parties and bbqs, and calm dining experiences at fast food restaurants.

Its not that bad back home actually. If anyone is making a noise after 10 pm, we just call the police. If they threaten you after you ask them to be quiet, you call the police.
Its also possible to get environmental health involved if it keeps happening.

I can count on my hand the amount of times Ive had problems with noise back home. And Ive lived in some big cities too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: