Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

footprints recruiting...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aka Dave

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumple wrote:
Oops, my bad! Had the wrong guy.

Everyone, I retract my comments about Andrew.

However, Andrew, I did also tell you that BG would come here and tear you a new one, and I think that's been done. You were warned, like I said. Should have learned from that other guy's mistakes, whomever he was.

Yeah, that's what you want from a professional recruiter; someone who will come on a message board and "tear someone a new one."

Now, that's quality. I really want to be associated with that type of organization.
maingman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:05 am    Post subject: ,, Reply with quote

aka Dave wrote :

Rumple wrote:

However, Andrew, I did also tell you that BG would come here and tear you a new one, and I think that's been done. You were warned, like I
said. Should have learned from that other guy's mistakes, whomever he was.

Yeah, that's what you want from a professional recruiter; someone who will come on a message board and "tear someone a new one."

Now, that's quality. I really want to be associated with that type of organization.

what Exclamation
ardis

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daz1979 wrote:
Ha!

3 years later and they're still crap! I have to say Footprints were by far the worst recruiters that I used. They didn't reject me, but they just didn't listen to a word I said and set up interviews without even asking me if I was interested in the job.

Yeah, I had the same situation. I was hired immediately and the guy who interviewed me was *really* nice but...they kept sending me these crappy job offers that were nothing like I'd specified. In the end, I got my job through Korea Connections and told Footprints to stop sending me job notices.
Gideon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Footprints Reply with quote

B4 i came to korea back in 2004 i first contacted footprints recruiting and spoke to Ben on the phone.. he was very helpful and seemed quite informative .. i didnt end up contracting with them in the end because i went with another recruiter (painful experience) but they seemed helpful in the intial process.
John_ESL_White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, I've read that SLP, Wonderland, and LCI Kids' Club are among Footprint's client base.

That alone is reason enough to go with another recruiter. Sending a newbie to one of those franchise is tantamount to kicking them in their nuts, skinning them alive and throwing them in the saltiest sea on the planet. -well, maybe not that bad....

Also, it seems they are biased against non-North Americans. And, the owner did not dispute this when he replied to this post. That seems odd. He only took time to "tear a new one", for someone that undoubtably make a mistake a long time ago.

Rowan at ESL-Planet was pretty awesome and helpful back when I needed a recruiter. But, if you are in country, and you want a PS job or a hagwon job, there are ways around the whole recruiter thing. But, if you've been here a year, you already know this.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: footprints recruiting... Reply with quote

Bucheonguy wrote:
As most of you can probably guess I'm looking for another job. So I applied to footprints recruiting.

They phoned me up at 7:30 on a Saturday for an interview which really pissed me off. The questions they asked though were so bizzare.

"Have you ever encountered a culture that's different from your own?"
It was hard not to be a little surprised because it's on my resume that I've been living here for a year now. After my initial "What," I gave them did you read my resume answer. It'ss all there.

"Do you have any experience leading a project?" Once again on my resume. So I told them.

So the rude woman went on. I could tell by her tone of voice that she was pissed off about something.

"Do you have an experience with a second language? Taken classes for example..." Of course I have experience! I've lived in Korea for almost a year and grew up in Canada so I had to take French.

So finally, after an hour of these stupid questions she says we're finished. Biggest waste of my time ever considering it's all on my resume! The biggest piss off though, was when I got an email this morning telling me I've been rejected! What the hell is that? Has anyone else ever been rejected?

Anyway, biggest pain in the ass interview, rude interviewer and rejected at the end... Wow is all I can say... wow... For those of you going with footprints, have fun and good luck.

Dear Buncheonguy,

This is Will from Footprints. I know Ben just posted, but I think he was mainly focusing on Andrew's post.

Buncheonguy - I sent you an email on the 18th (in Korea � we are a day behind here in Vancouver) notifying you of the interview at 7:30am on the 20th�.two days in advance. You replied and asked for a later time, and I said it was possible but because of the time difference between South Korea and Vancouver, not to mention the holidays we have less staff and fewer office hours so we would have to schedule for after Christmas. On the 19th you said 7:30am on Saturday would be fine, so I�m not sure why you were so angry about it�you confirmed the interview. I have the emails if you want to read over them.

Our interview questions serve a variety of purposes. It allows us to get to know you a bit better, your personality and sense of humor. We get to hear you express yourself clearly and confidently, and hear a little about your previous experiences, as your past actions are usually a good indication of future actions.

When we ask you about your experience with a new culture, we want to hear about how you adapted to life in South Korea or elsewhere. We have your resume, yes, and we know you are there, but we want to hear what you have to say about it. Likewise, asking about an experience where you have been a leader says a lot about you. You get to talk about yourself and show yourself in the best light.

We ask about your experience with another language to show that, in addition to being a teacher, you have been a student. It shows you have a different perspective and you understand what the students have to go through, which just might make you a more effective teacher.

Lastly, the interview is a good way to judge character and professionalism, and even though it only takes 30 minutes (your interview didn�t last an hour), it is certainly better than not interviewing an applicant.

Since you have been living in Korea and working as a teacher, one would have assumed you�d sail through the interview without issue. Instead you chose to say ��it is all there in my resume,� which is not an interview technique I am familiar with, and may have had something to do with your poor interview showing.

Now, since the time difference is a real pain, we can normally only contact people in South Korea from about 2pm to 4:30pm our time (which is the early morning for you). We recognize this, and we often have people who yawn through an interview, or have a little trouble. We get it�it is early in the morning, and it sucks. Most people pull through, and some of the people who don�t do so well email us and say �I know I wasn�t at my best, but it was early, would you mind doing another interview?� and in many cases we agree.

Instead, you chose to send us a�shall we say curt�email and you came on Dave�s to vent your anger, and how the interview questions were �bizarre.� I�m sure that, with a little reflection, you would have understood why we ask them, and perhaps made an effort to answer them.

I guess the point is that, just because you don�t know why we ask the questions we do doesn�t make them bad questions, nor does it make us a bad recruiter for asking them. Likewise, if you were interviewing for a job, wouldn�t it make more sense to at least try to answer the question? I don�t know many people who have been successful when they told the interviewer �it�s all there on my resume,� instead of answering.

We know it is there, we just wanted you to tell us about it, that�s all.

I understand that you have your opinion and perception of what happened, but you�ve presented a pretty biased view. I�m biased as well, but I just thought that by sharing our perspective on the same situation it might help us reconcile our differences.

To some of the other comments made here about Footprints. We have jobs for South Africans, Irish, English, New Zealanders, Australians, etc. I�m not sure why you guys have started a rumor that we don�t. If we don�t then I�m spending an awful lot of time working with people from those countries for no reason.

As for our types of jobs � we have a lot and cover a wide spectrum, so we have many that are industry average (like most jobs in Korea � hence why they are average), public school jobs (which are the same across the board), and we also have some great jobs with great pay, like working for Disney in Shanghai, teacher training positions, Taiwan public schools, etc. Jobs come and go. It is a fluid industry in many ways. Sometimes we have great jobs that nobody else has and sometimes they are the same.

I�m not trying to sling mud at Buncheonguy, and if my words seem too harsh, it wasn�t my intent�it just seems that you�re not taking responsibility for the part you played in the inteview. I get a little annoyed that you�d set up your interview, and then post like we cold called you at 7:30am in the morning, when it just isn�t true. I also get a little annoyed that you write off the questions as being bizarre, when they aren�t. I also hope, for their sake, that people reading your �it is in my resume� response don�t try that in other job interviews. Lastly � and this isn�t aimed at Buncheonguy � it sucks when people who start messages with �so I was rejected by Footprints,� followed by vitriol that just isn�t true, conclude with �I wouldn�t recommend them,� like they are offering everyone unbiased, sage advice. Considering how much opportunity is out there for you (which many of you boast about), it is petty that some of you would hold on to this for years.

-Will
Donald Frost

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka Dave wrote:
Rumple wrote:

However, Andrew, I did also tell you that BG would come here and tear you a new one, and I think that's been done. You were warned, like I said. Should have learned from that other guy's mistakes, whomever he was.

Good stuff... Smile
John_ESL_White

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: footprints recruiting... Reply with quote

WillTurnerinVanCity wrote:

and we also have some great jobs with great pay, like working for Disney in Shanghai...-Will

is this a good job?

What exactly do English-e teachers do at Disneyland in Shanghai?

Just curious.

Thanks.
cruisemonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mickey asks Miney if she wants to porked on the Bund.

I'm not as much mad a Footprints for the fact they rejected me, but for the fact it took a month to do so. Promises of phone calls broken and nothing but lame excuses as to why.... absolutely pathetic!

Footprints has an aggrandized version/vision of their non-existent importance to employment in K-land. Recruiters are a 'dime a dozen'... use them.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: footprints recruiting... Reply with quote

John_ESL_White wrote:
WillTurnerinVanCity wrote:

and we also have some great jobs with great pay, like working for Disney in Shanghai...-Will

is this a good job?

What exactly do English-e teachers do at Disneyland in Shanghai?

Just curious.

Thanks.

It isn't working at Disney land - it is a school they are opening up. Here is a link.

http://www.footprintsrecruiting.com/china-language-school-teaching-jobs-475.php

I wouldn't say this is the end all be all of jobs in China, by any means, but it is definitely one of the better teaching jobs I've seen in the PRC.
WillTurnerinVanCity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruisemonkey wrote:
Mickey asks Miney if she wants to porked on the Bund.

I'm not as much mad a Footprints for the fact they rejected me, but for the fact it took a month to do so. Promises of phone calls broken and nothing but lame excuses as to why.... absolutely pathetic!

Footprints has an aggrandized version/vision of their non-existent importance to employment in K-land. Recruiters are a 'dime a dozen'... use them.

You know what Cruisemonkey - that does suck. I know this happened a few years ago, long before I started working here, and I don't know your real name so I can't check your file to verify it, but if you were treated that way, I can understand you being angry. Keep in mind, however, that sometimes these things are a break in communication and not intentional slights. For example, I had a woman who was very angry that we had not stayed in contact with her - and after looking into it...it was because she had changed her email address and we didn't have her new one. In her eyes, she was mistreated and justifiably angry, but the truth was that nobody was to blame.

I've made mistakes, forgotten to return calls...we deal with a lot of people. I respond to hundreds of inquiries...sometimes I mess up. All I can say is we do try our very best. Everyone in this office works longer hours than they have to. Many continue to work from home after they have left the office. We believe in what we do and we do our best to help people along the way. Mistakes happen, and we're only human.

That said...it was a few years ago, no? If what you say happened did happen...in fact...even if it didn't happen that way but you perceived it to be insulting to you, please accept my personal apology. I mean that, I'm not being a sarcastic twit.

As for our importance, we know we are just another fish in the sea, and we work hard at our jobs to prove this the people we work with. If you want to go to Korean on your own...you can...we don't force anybody to work with us.

Happy New Year to you all by the way.

-Will
mountainous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: hakwon jobs thru footprints Reply with quote

John_ESL_White wrote:
So far, I've read that SLP, Wonderland, and LCI Kids' Club are among Footprint's client base.

That alone is reason enough to go with another recruiter...

Do you have any links to support the association of these notorious Korean hakwons to Footprints? Thanks for doing this homework. Exclamation
mountainous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grumpy Senator wrote:
I did the hiring for my former school and I have nothing but good things to say about Ben, Dave, and Ryan at Footprints. They always keep both the school and the teachers up to date with what is happening. They have been a big help trying to figure out the new visa requirements and always provide excellent candidates for hire. In my time at my school, we have hired well over 50 teachers from Footprints and everything has gone smooth, over 50% of our teachers have even signed an extension to stay longer. I am a Footprints alumni myself with 3 years at the school they put me in contact with.

I know you cannot make everyone happy all the time, but I think Footprints does a far better job than any of the other recruiters I have dealt with.

How many teachers at the korean hakwon?
mountainous

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountainous wrote:
In my time at my school, we have hired well over 50 teachers from Footprints and everything has gone smooth, over 50% of our teachers have even signed an extension to stay longer. I am a Footprints alumni myself with 3 years at the school they put me in contact with.

Can you or one of your co-workers at Footprints describe a typical job that Footprints fills.

After all, a recruiter never pays a penny of salary, not a penny. Talk about the job, including the first year salary. Wink

Can't help you on that one. Never worked for Footprints; not Canadian, never even been to Canada.

I can see why they did not recruit you, based on your habit of making dumbass assumptions.

FYI, I spoke to Footprints for about 10 minutes. I informed the lady that my minimum salary req is 2.5 million / month and I require payment up front from any Korean referred to me by Footprints. I would never accept a $9/hour job, just to clarify who is too good for whom. Cool
SeoulShakin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've gone through footprints twice, and both times I've personally had great results, and gotten exactly what I asked for (though I was quite firm and precise in what I wanted). I had no problems at all. The first time I used them, I don't remember who looked after my file, but the second time I contacted Ben directly, and he was quite helpful the whole way through securing me the SMOE position I was looking for.

HOWEVER, I must say, Ben, that in reading your responses on this board, you come across as much more professional in person (I met you twice, once at my first hogwan, and once at a gathering in Seoul). You were professional as can be in those settings, but your responses on this board, are considerably less so. Even if these people are making things up as you say, or telling half-truths and biased versions of the stories (which is obviously impossible to verify one way or another), as a professional recruiter, such language shouldn't be used when talking about your business. I know you're simply "quoting" what someone else supposedly said, but either way, it is unprofessional and doesn't look good on your behalf.

I must say, that WillTurnerinVanCity's posts are coming across as much more humbled and sincere, and are quite frankly (in this thread) the only posts by anyone from footprints that leave any credibility to the company.

As angry as you may be at the posts on this board, and any accusations or rumors that may be going around, you still need to be able to represent yourself professionally, with self-respect, and quite frankly be able to take the high road and not retort with equally childish name calling and personal bashing.

As I said Ben, I have met you twice, and personally received great service from you, and was personally very pleased, but if you wish for people who have never heard of this recruiting company before to take your posts seriously, you need to stop quoting vicious language and personally attacking people, and focus more on the assets and benefits that footprints can provide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: