Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you do for your after school classes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meursault

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: What do you do for your after school classes? Reply with quote

I didn't ask for it, but now I find myself teaching an after school class 3 times a week. It's a mixed girls' middle school class with students drawn from my regular classes. The class is supposed to be an informal English conversation class. I don't have a textbook and have very limited access to paper (so worksheets are out).

Thus far we've played hangman and scattergories--I'm also planning to teach them common expressions (other than "fine, thank you, and you?"). I'm not feeling very inspired--any other ideas?
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many students? It sounds like you have very vague parameters but I'm sure there are 100 better things you could do than hangman. Why not start by having them come up with descriptions of themselves and their families.
wings

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell the school that you can't teach the class without photocopies! If you are at a public school there is paper, just go looking. If you're not allowed to make copies for your extra class then just lie and say they are for regular classes.

Go to www.englishtips.org and download a few books. you don't need to print the course books, just put them on the TV for conversation, then print and get copies of worksheets to go along with them.

Find some books that have simple stories that you can have a conversation about. For example, get a copy of "Very Easy True Stories" of similar, ask them questions before they read the stories and have kids discuss the answers in groups. For example, there is a reading about the guy with the world record for having hiccups the longest; ask how long they think the record is, ask about how you get hiccups and how you cure them. have them brainstorm first in groups, then take up the answers on the board. Read the story and talk about it.....

Not the best lesson plan but WAY better than hangman.
QbertP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taught after school classes a few times, usually I try to work in little units,
2-4 classes on stories and poetry(writing speaking)
2-4 classes on drama activities(reading writing speaking acting)
2-4 classes on English board game instruction(great fun and teaches imperatives.)

Mix in simple songs(gap fills, vocab)
Discussions(topic information sheets read and then followed by discussion)
Grammar(or any other language fundamental)
Try to reuse what you teach. Create vocab lists.

These are just examples. Today I intend to get ice cream for my kids and have them sit outside and write haiku's.
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to keep my after school classes as informal as possible. Usually it's the better students, or at least the students who want to be there, so motivation and behavior aren't much of an issue. We usually end up just shooting the breeze for half the class, if they're making an effort to speak to me in English, then I consider it a success.
D.D.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use youtube to stimulate some conversation. They like talking about Korea stuff.
Yu_Bum_suk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Underwaterbob wrote:
I try to keep my after school classes as informal as possible. Usually it's the better students, or at least the students who want to be there, so motivation and behavior aren't much of an issue. We usually end up just shooting the breeze for half the class, if they're making an effort to speak to me in English, then I consider it a success.

Yeah, if they can keep it going in English they're welcome to get me as off-topic as they want and delay whatever I had planned until the end of the lesson. That doesn't work in a class of 30 where 15 will rapidly tune out, but in a class of less than 10 it's often possible.
harlowethrombey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you do for your after school classes? Reply with quote

meursault wrote:
I didn't ask for it, but now I find myself teaching an after school class 3 times a week. It's a mixed girls' middle school class with students drawn from my regular classes. The class is supposed to be an informal English conversation class. I don't have a textbook and have very limited access to paper (so worksheets are out).

Thus far we've played hangman and scattergories--I'm also planning to teach them common expressions (other than "fine, thank you, and you?"). I'm not feeling very inspired--any other ideas?

I teach this kind of class 4 nights a week (for the benjamins).

What do you do? ---> Anything you want.

THus far our lessons have been:
1) Describing yourself and others (physically, mentally, emotionally)
2) Conversation skills (body language, eye contact, natural pauses, follow-up questions)
3) Giving/Listening to directions (using maps)
4) Explain a process
5) Watching a movie

Oh yeah. Beauty and the Beast. Each student has to create a small 'character chart' for the main characters. We stop the movie at key points and the students guess what will happen next (no one has seen the movie!). We talk about themes and the girls get to write an alternate ending.

As an aside to movie watching, I dont use Korean subtitles. Whenever there is a bizzare word/phrase the students know to ask me and I"ll pause the movie and give a quick explanation.

Later we're writing and acting out plays, playing some basketball and having a scavenger hunt.

These afterschool classes can be very fun, just be creative. Trust me, your kids will get bookwork and 'listen and reapeat' enough at their hagwons Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: