Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadians with Korean spouses traveling to the States ....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matesol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Canadians with Korean spouses traveling to the States .... Reply with quote

http://usembassy.state.gov/seoul/wwwh1200.html

Hello All,

I am a Canadian citizen (male), traveling to the States next summer. I would like to spend two months in the States. I found the above mentioned link for Koreans on how to get a toursit visa. I'm wondering if anyone else has been through the process.

I am employed at a university in Korea.

1) Has anyone else out there tried to get a US tourist visa for their wife?
2) Did you have to do the interview?
3) If you want to travel back and forth, say once a year for two or three years during the summer, does the INS give you a hard time about it?
4) Does a Korean married to a Canadian get any special treatment? I have heard of some Koreans here having a 10 year visa, meaning they can travel back and forth as much as they like for the next 10 years. Does anyone have any info about that?

Thanks for your help!
Scott in HK

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I crossed the border from Canada about three years ago, so that is when this info is from.

We got our visa in Canada...no interview...just show prove of money and work.

Some questions at the border as well as a need to pay one more little fee....you will have to get out of your car and go into the office when you cross the border....if you are going across by car.

The visa was good for 3 years (I think) and was still valid even after we switched passports...you have to bring both when you crossed.

No special treatment...just remember when you call for infor to have everything ready...the call costs you by the minute.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: After 11 September 2001 Reply with quote

Three years ago was before 11 September 2001. I may be wrong but my guess is unless your wife has Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status, you will find she has to be interviewed and all types of documents will have to be provided. And unless she is being sponsored by a corporation, government entity, etc., I think you can forget the long term multiple entry visa. As I said, I may be wrong, but don't be surprised if entry and/or the visa are refused. Many things have changed post 911. This is one of them. Good luck, and please advise as to what the final resolution is.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Canadians with Korean spouses traveling to the States .. Reply with quote

matesol wrote:
I have heard of some Koreans here having a 10 year visa, meaning they can travel back and forth as much as they like for the next 10 years. Does anyone have any info about that?

Isn't that a work-related visa? My girlfriend received one for the U.S. and one for Japan, simply for potential work-related excursions.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Canadian holding a Canadian passport, of course you'll be allowed to enter the U.S. Just more questions asked. Now, if you're married and your wife has a Canadian passport, no problem also. If your wife has a korean passport, she will NOT be allowed to enter unless she gets a visa. It's that simple. She is not Canadian and in the eyes of U.S. law, she is korean even if she is married to a Canadian. If she has been to the U.S. before and still has a current visa, no problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: