Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why teach at a university?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
Beaver,

Does your university provide housing? If not, your salary is actually pretty average....

If I want it.

I don't.

Then where do you live? I assume some of your salary goes to paying rent? If I gave up university provided housing, my uni would pay about the same amount you're getting now... so it seems like it all evens out in the end and you really aren't making that much more than the rest of us....
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
Then where do you live? I assume some of your salary goes to paying rent? If I gave up university provided housing, my uni would pay about the same amount you're getting now... so it seems like it all evens out in the end and you really aren't making that much more than the rest of us....

Actuallly, my point wasn't that I was making any more than other people. My point is that I'm doing well AND I get obscenely long holidays and a reasonable work week.

As for money. . . My base is not spectacular, but the extra (legal) jobs I do, by the end of next month, will have given me an extra 6,000,000 for the last six months.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:

Actuallly, my point wasn't that I was making any more than other people. My point is that I'm doing well AND I get obscenely long holidays and a reasonable work week.

As for money. . . My base is not spectacular, but the extra (legal) jobs I do, by the end of next month, will have given me an extra 6,000,000 for the last six months.

that's good for you...but your main job at the university is pretty much average conditions...

and finding well-paying part-time work is easy if you really want to do it and you're in the right location..
the_beaver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
that's good for you...but your main job at the university is pretty much average conditions...

and finding well-paying part-time work is easy if you really want to do it and you're in the right location..

Over five months holiday is average? I should've stayed in the hagwon. . .

Finding well-paying part-time work is a snap. But, I am offered LEGAL part-time work and my school will sign for me to work anywhere I want.
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_beaver wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:

Finding well-paying part-time work is a snap. But, I am offered LEGAL part-time work and my school will sign for me to work anywhere I want.

I said an average UNIVERSITY job.... NOT hogwon....
TECO

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - nice avtar, Fonz!
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:
the_beaver wrote:
Arthur Fonzerelli wrote:

I said an average UNIVERSITY job.... NOT hogwon....

It doesn't sound like an average university job to me. I don't know of any universities that offer full vacation, & offer to give you legal extra work, & sign you off with immigration so you can work elsewhere.

The average university requires you to teach vacation classes and is not willing to sign you off to work elsewhere legally during vacation.
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I may or may not be joining the ranks of professorship. I had my interview today. It was very funny and not at all what I expected. There was one other foreigner there, and I hope he's not reading this board but he looked like a real stiff goober. The women couldn't understand any of his questions, (Could you inform me how long your univerity has employed foreign teachers? Her answer, what? Oh! March 1st semester starts....) I just sat there giddy and smiling. When he finished I asked really short, clear questions and she was relieved. Hit it off high here.

As a side note, I have to say it's pretty rude and awkward to bring candidates in for an interview at the same time, even though they did interview us seperately afterward. They took him in first and I waited about 15 minutes, sweating bullets. Next me. There were 3 old Korean guys and 2 older women. And they stared at me silently. The funny thing was, none of them could speak English. Each person asked me a couple of questions (in Korean, then the women would translate it, but not my answer). Everyone just nodded and smiled. I know nobody understood me, because three of them asked what my major was (English Education). All they wanted was to hear my pronunciation and check my white face, I'm sure. I kept my answers short and clear, said I love Korea several times, and was finished in 5 minutes with everyonesmiling and shaking my hands. I had a good feeling but it got better.

After the interview, the woman took me in the hallway and said, "You will be lucky, I know. Please wait for our phone call." She didn't say this to the other guy. Unless they have more people coming in, which I doubt, they did most of the interviews Friday, I think I will get it.

However, then I have to decide if I even want it. What do you think?

It only 25,000,000/year/4 days a week, 15 hours teaching. 6 weeks off per year, but probably more. They said I would have to come in the other off times for programs, none of which have even been created yet.

It's not the super great gig some of you guys have, but...I figure if they offer, I should take it just to get my foot in the door and a reference. 4 days a week is a good deal too. Most of their other foreign teachers have been there 6 years, so can't be too bad. Mostly I'm worried about housing. Only making 2.1 then paying for housing sucks. But then again I would have a lot of free time to work other jobs. OK, I'm talking to myself now. Anyone still reading? Didn't think so.

Last edited by shawner88 on Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
mishlert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work 4 days a week, and. . . well. . . you all know the rest.
Also, along with with 16 weeks paid vacation, my university allows me to work elsewhere during my time off.
During the semester if I want to supplement my income it's cool; they don't sign any documents to allow it, but as long as it doesn't affect my job they are OK with it. Also, it's a small city, so there's no problem with immigration raiding, or checking up on the school.
shawner88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it your first gig? Do you have an MA? What do you think of the deal I'm getting. Not as good as yours, but it's better than no Uni gig, right? (Desperately seeking confidence about a job I haven't even gotten for sure yet...)
SuperHero

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawner88 wrote:
Was it your first gig? Do you have an MA? What do you think of the deal I'm getting. Not as good as yours, but it's better than no Uni gig, right? (Desperately seeking confidence about a job I haven't even gotten for sure yet...)

It's better than my current University, but not as good as my new university in March.

You done good.
mishlert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 10 of us here, and 7 of us have MAs.
As for your gig, it's not bad. But that is not as important as getting the experience so that it becomes easier to find a better offer next time.
My university knows that it has to offer above avarage pay, vacation time, and so on because it's near a small city (pop. 100,000) 90 minutes from Seoul.
different

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you at a college or university? Does the small city have five letters? The description you've written sounds a lot like a job I applied to and didn't get. Sad
shawner88

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the job Smile
pocariboy73

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congradulations on the new job!!!

So what made you stay in Korea another year? Your new girlfriend? What about the trip to Europe you had planned...I guess it has to wait, eh. Or, are you gonna "pull a runner" halfway through the contract? Wink

Anyways, good work. Say goodbye to the days of reading the newspaper during class and having your students draw pictures Laughing

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: