Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discussions about legal issues regarding visas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-J

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You clearly can not tell the difference from what I said and what I quoted from the article. Until such time that you can make that distinction, I suggest you spend your time elsewhere.

You are really dragging this thread off topic. Do you have a point or not?
leopard7

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: TJ: Reply with quote

I already made my point.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: TJ: Reply with quote

leopard7 wrote:
I already made my point.

Actually you did not make any point. TJ has a valid point however, you just chose to ignore it...or it seems that way.
leopard7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: To PatrickBusan: Reply with quote

Patrick: I don't know you, or why you would attack me when you don't even know me. Are you TJ's lover?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See leopard...your response does not help you out.

Tossing out some childish sexual ambiguous insult..wow. That really fosters debate.

My response was not an ATTACK on you. I just did not see the POINT you claim to have made with regards to TJ's post. He included specifics, you did not clearly respond.

That is all I said. I think however that no true debate will be possible with you because you seem to resort to insults pretty quickly. I have no interest in trading insults with you on an online forum.

You want to debate issues...count me in however.
CPJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatrickGHBusan wrote:
Quote:
if Korea would pattern the E-2 visa on the visa system in place in Japan, a lot of the complaints and problems would evaporate.

Even if it means teachers would have to find their own housing, it still would be better in the long run and you would find that teachers would be a happier lot in general.

It is possible some of the complaints would evaporate. I think it would be a right step to make visas more flexible but that would also mean no housing or airfare. So as you said Teachers would need to look for their own housing but also pay for their airfare over. This does not jive very well with the current method of mostly hiring fresh grads.

The system in Japan is not about complete freedom either. If you wish to change jobs you can keep your visa but you need paperwork from your old employer and from the new employer who agrees to transfer the sponsorship of your visa. The visa remains an employer-sponsored work visa.

Yup! I don't think many new teachers could afford to pay the standard 5,000,000 Won key money to rent an apartment.

Most newbies come to Korea because of the free airfare and the free apartment. If they had to cough up about $6000 up front just to get to Korea and into an apartment, how many would make the trip? Especially since most stay for only a year.

The way things are in Korea are just fine. Sure, some of the paperwork costs a little and take up some time but ask anyone in Korea that has tried to get a green card in the US how much they had to spend and how much time they had to wait and it's no comparison.
ippy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, i arrived in october and my contract is due to finish obviously in october. I decided to not renew with my school. The problem is that im likely going to try and take a job for the start of the new school year because its obviously going to be less disruptive and also get me on the right yearly cycle. Technically i will have been here for over 9 months, so if i give my required 30 days notice and i assume get the letter of release (i dont have bad relations with my school), what else do i need to do to take up another position? Basically will i need a full set of documents (my CRC and apostille is with the recruiter i believe) or is it a simple transfer like in Japan?
grant gerstners

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: I spend work-time at two schools. Reply with quote

I'm trying to get clarification. Do I have a visa problem? Here's my long-winded version of the situation:

I've been in a rural area for almost a month, in a building that has both middle school and high school students (it is a public school).

In my second week, my co-teacher and I drove to the city to pick up the results of my health check, and then went straight to the immigration office for final processing to get my Alien Registration Card.

(I arranged for multiple-entry visa--thanks to this forum for the advice about that).

The form at the immigration office was in Korean, so my co-teacher filled almost all of it out and I signed it--although I don't really know what was on the form beyond the date and my address; probably also the name of the middle/high school.

The immigration office was not going to complete everything that day, so, in order to avoid another 90 minutes driving (roundtrip), I agreed to leave my passport at the immigration office (keeping a copy). I got my passport and Alien Registration Card in the mail less than a week later.

In my third week, one afternoon, my high school co-teacher and I walked to the nearby public elementary school after lunch. I was introduced to the Korean English teacher at the elementary school and I spent the afternoon with children in the primary grades. I was there again for one afternoon in my 4th week. The plan is I will be at the public elementary school one afternoon each week when school is in session.

My main question is: If my visa is tied to the middle/high school, do I have an issue that needs to be ironed out with the immigration office (since I also spend time at the elementary school)?

But also: if I am working at more than one school, should that be reflected in my monthly pay?
wheredowego

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding business lessons:

Recently a lot of recruiters have been posting ads for business lessons, saying that they are looking for E2 visas who could get authorization.

Is this legal? Can E2s teach at businesses like this? I thought that in order for anyplace to employ teachers, it had to be registered as a school--that it's even illegal to F-series visas. Although, I do remember that there was talk of legalizing business lessons a couple of years back.

Anyone hear about this?
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, an E2 you cannot teach ANY private lessons legally. You cannot get permission to teach them either.

On an E2 visa the only thing you can do legally is ask your employer for permission to work at a second school or location (company for example) This is then registered with immigration and added to your visa. The income will be taxed. There are rules about a second job, the main points being it cannot (not 100% sure here) earn you more than your primary job.
nathanksimpson

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The writer of the response article obviously did not read Wagner's long and heavily footnoted paper, citing not the protection clauses for citizens, but rather the parts that specifically apply to foreigners. As foreigners under the Korean constitution it is illegal to deport someone based on health history. Also Wagner cites court precedent, the response does not seem to do that.

Finally 'foreigner' does not equal English teacher. In fact the largest proportion of foreigners residing in Korea are from China, if I remember correctly. Why aren't they drug testing Chinese exchange students, and employees Razz? Or are they?
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping to find some info. on visa runs but only found a hissy fit between ___ . Wait, I also saw a "not 100% sure" from someone I wonder has ever had a visa in Korea. Laughing
calicoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through bits and pieces of this very long thread, so apologies if I am repeating a question. It's an old thread, though.

My question:

My E-2 visa expires at the end of Feb. 2012, and I am not renewing at my university. We typically take vacation from January until March 1st.

Do I have to leave Korea at the end of my teaching duties, which is technically vacation time in January, or can I legally stay here until the visa expiration date written on my ARC?

Also, if I can stay, would it be possible to work at another camp during my last uni vacation here?

Thanks a bunch.
Young FRANKenstein

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calicoe wrote:
My E-2 visa expires at the end of Feb. 2012, and I am not renewing at my university. We typically take vacation from January until March 1st.

Do I have to leave Korea at the end of my teaching duties, which is technically vacation time in January, or can I legally stay here until the visa expiration date written on my ARC?

Vacation or no, you are still employed by the university and paid by them for those vacation days. Unless they are going to fire you and not allow you to finish your contract (and thereby screw you out of your severance or bonus) you can stay until the end of your visa as an employee of that university, albeit one that is on vacation.

Quote:
Also, if I can stay, would it be possible to work at another camp during my last uni vacation here?

Not without permission from your employer (which shouldn't be a problem because you are on vacation at that time) AND most importantly permission from Immigration. Without Immigration approving your second job, you'd be working illegally.

Thanks a bunch.[/quote]
calicoe

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, YF. I thought so, but I just wanted to make sure.

Peace.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 35 of 37

Jump to: