Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing A USB Card in my laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sejong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Installing A USB Card in my laptop Reply with quote

Any computer-type out there who can help me out on this one?

I just picked up a high-speed (2.0) USB cardbus adapter to replace the slower 1.1 card that's currently in place... and upon getting it home I realized I've got no idea HOW I'm supposed to physically put the thing in! It looks like I'd need to actually unscrew the bottom casing of the laptop to do this, and I'm reallllly wary of doing that. Is that in fact what I need to do? If so, so be it... but I'd like to be sure of myself first. Thanks...
ryleeys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live anywhere near Icheon, I'll do it for you... but yeah, if it's an internal card, you have to take apart the computer to install it.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't be insulted by this question, but are you sure you bought one for a laptop, or did you buy a pci-USB card for a desktop? I was under the impression that most USB ports for laptops are built onto the laptop motherboard and therefore are not upgradeable... I would think that any cardbus adaptor for a laptop would be meant to fit into the pcmcia card slot.
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would think that any cardbus adaptor for a laptop would be meant to fit into the pcmcia card slot.

That's what I was thinking, too. Just out of curiosity, what peripheral is the OP using that requires 2.0 over 1.1?
ryleeys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rare, but I've seen upgrades for the USB in a laptop. Pretty slick actually... although my experience has been changing any hardware in a laptop can be a pain the ass.
Sejong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a little more info then...

I'm NOT actually sure if the card is for a laptop specifically or for a desktop -- I bought it on the advice of the guy at Johnny Computer in Itaewon (I guess that would be Johnny, huh?). I had just bought an external CD-RW drive from him, and he said because the drive is 52X, my USB speed could be too slow. I also use a high-speed Sony digicam which supports USB 2.0, so I said "sure" and bought it.

Only upon gettting home did I realize the problem as described in the OP. So, after reading your replies I'm now wondering if he actually sold me a part that I can't even use? Hmmmm....
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check back here in 10-20 min and I'll throw up some jpegs and you can see which one you've got, but I'm afraid that if you didn't tell 'Johnny' you were using a laptop he probably sold you a desktop card.

Here you go-

Did it look like these? (about 4x6)

I wasn't able to find a picture or even a reference to an internal USB 2.0 upgrade kit for laptops. Unless you are using some tricked out high-end gaming laptop like an Alienware, it is highly unlikely that you can find/use such a kit.

The following are USB 2.0 for PCMCIA, which is what you want to have:

Last edited by Bulsajo on Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sejong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
Check back here in 10-20 min and I'll throw up some jpegs and you can see which one you've got, but I'm afraid that if you didn't tell 'Johnny' you were using a laptop he probably sold you a desktop card.

Hang on, I just checked the back of the card package, there is a little diagram which shows the card and a laptop, which I take as a good sign.

And Johnny actually had my laptop in front of him at the time, so I have to assume he knew the right kind... Smile
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's good news then! BTW, what kind of laptop do you have and is the card indeed internal or pcmcia? If internal, what brand is the card and is there a website url anywhere on the package? I'm just curious and want to update myself.
Sejong

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laptop is a Toshiba.

My wife just noticed that there appears to be a slot on the side of my computer that it would slide into - away from where the current USB port is on the back (Which was the only place I looked Embarassed ) According to the diagram on the back of the package, it looks like it's supposed to go in there.....so, internal, I guess.

The package bills itself in English as, "Plug and Play"

The card brand is Unicorn, and the URL for their site is
www.eunicorn.co.kr
The Lemon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sejong wrote:
The laptop is a Toshiba.

My wife just noticed that there appears to be a slot on the side of my computer that it would slide into

Ding ding ding ding ding!!!
Smile
ryleeys

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wifey's got a head on her shoulders...
Arthur Fonzerelli

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all is right with the world tonight...
erlyn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I humbly accept his thanks for reading the directions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: