Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which laptop???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob V

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:21 pm    Post subject: Which laptop??? Reply with quote

Ok, I've decided to buy my laptop here before I get to Korea. I have a list of some of the models I am looking at and was wondering if anyone had one of these or any input about them. Or any other suggestions. I decided to go with a big screen (the 17" widescreens are sweet). The two with asterisks are the ones I am most interested in.

Toshiba Satellite P25-s507
Toshiba Satellite P25-s607*
Hewlett Packard Pavillion zd7010*
Sony Vaio GRV550
Compaq Presario 3045US

Anyone know anything about any of these. Will my warranty still be good in Korea? Thanks for your help.

Bob
ulsanchris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a compaq presario 2560ap and it sucks. stay away from compaq. in fact i'm not even writing this on my presario because it is being repaired. this is the 4th time (i think) i have had to send it away to be reparied, the third time in the last 2 months. i've owned it for about 8 months.
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshiba's 3 year international warranty is a strong selling point, and I know first-hand that it's honored in Korea.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought sony had a world wide warrenty?

Anyway I went with sony, but if I could do it again, I probably would have gone Dell or Toshiba.
Bob V

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:11 am    Post subject: Toshiba Reply with quote

I think I am going to go with the Toshiba, I heard that the graphics card doesnt hold up to hard gaming. Is that true? How much of a pain in the ass would it be to carry it back and forth to school every day? Thanks

Bob
Bulsajo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No laptop is going to be able to meet your hardcore gaming needs unless you go out and buy an Alienware or a similarly-priced high-end laptop (and if you do make sure it has the capacity to UPGRADE the video card- most laptops don't). A decent graphics card is often the single most expensive computer component these days- more expensive than the mainboard, the cpu, the ram, the hard drive, the Cd drive, and more expensive than most combo burner drives. If you're serious about gaming you should stay away from laptops or be prepared to throw down serious coin.

Alienware Area 51 specs

But if you're not too fussy about anti-aliasing and frame rates and aren't looking to play Doom3 or HalfLife2, then as long as your laptop has some sort of onboard 3D graphics capability you should be alright.
Derrek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo:

Thanks for that pic... that is one COOL looking laptop!

Wish I had a poster of that to hang on my wall.
Mr. Pink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulsajo wrote:
No laptop is going to be able to meet your hardcore gaming needs unless you go out and buy an Alienware or a similarly-priced high-end laptop (and if you do make sure it has the capacity to UPGRADE the video card- most laptops don't). A decent graphics card is often the single most expensive computer component these days- more expensive than the mainboard, the cpu, the ram, the hard drive, the Cd drive, and more expensive than most combo burner drives. If you're serious about gaming you should stay away from laptops or be prepared to throw down serious coin.

Alienware Area 51 specs

But if you're not too fussy about anti-aliasing and frame rates and aren't looking to play Doom3 or HalfLife2, then as long as your laptop has some sort of onboard 3D graphics capability you should be alright.

That is pretty sweet. I went with a highend Sony notebook. I wanted to play SOME games, but maybe I can't play the best games for graphics.

I mainly wanted to be able to do video/audio and graphics editing and it works great for that.

My notebook is rather heavy. If I didnt drive to work, I'd be a real pain to bring to work everyday. If you are worrying about weight, those Centrio notebooks are thing thing for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: