Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone been to Uzbekistan/the Silk Road?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
Quote:
There's no way I'd make the expedition by myself. The more the better. We need at least 3 committed members by the summer to KNOW it's a go, and adjust our life plans accordingly. It seems like we have two people sold on the idea, two people seriously interested and several interested in hearing more about it before they get too excited.
I would go alone. In fact, if this group gets too large you're welcome to my research but I won't go in a group any larger than 4. There will be too many opportunities for conflict and resentment. That can happen in groups of 2. That being said, I'm sure when it's all said and done there won't be more than that that actually commit to such a trip for whatever reason.

I concur with everything Zed just said. Really, if numerous people sign up, I'd suggest that we form other mini groups or something.
weatherman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this interesting blog about the area and the Silk road. Might be worth a check. http://www.agonist.org/silkroad/
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Thanks.

Looks like they went into India which is beyond the scope of my trip idea. I was considering an east-west Chinese-Istanbul orientation.

I would like to get to India some day though.
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've considered heading east to west China, down the Karakorum highway into Pakistan, into Iran and then up to Turkey. I wonder if anyone's done this. That'd be an interesting trip idea. Catch is that probably the Iran visa hassle would weed out most Americans who wanted to do it.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's basically the way i'm considering returning from europe if I go both north and south routes. That route requires some passage through at least 2 of the 3 Caucasus countries unless you were to fly over them.
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That way's a serious timing issue. Because of the altitude on K'Rum Highway it's only open a few months a year.
azzwell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am defintly interested. Have always wanted to go to Central Asia and the time and money are no object. Please add me to the list of potential candida
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey who are you calling a yeast infection....?
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ara_lester wrote:
I am defintly interested. Have always wanted to go to Central Asia and the time and money are no object. Please add me to the list of potential candida
Noted.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

camel96 wrote:
That way's a serious timing issue. Because of the altitude on K'Rum Highway it's only open a few months a year.
Do you know what months? Is it still open in August? September?
camel96

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from memory it was May to October but varies depending on the weather. I'll check LP tonight and find out exactly.
Zed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the answer on LP. I think we should be going through those passes close to the opening and again close to the closing if your estimate is right.
camel96

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw on some travel agencies website that they offer trips in that area between April and November. That's not so bad (date-wise I mean)
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the trip itself might take a few months, with the interest there is in taking side trips (After all, when again will we be in the area?). And there may be enough people to have two or three groups meeting up occasionally.

As for the weather, the stats are showing late April or early May as a good start. But of course group departure decisions won't have to be finalized for quite a while.

Ideally, we'll all know what we want after we meet in the spring (where, when, with whom, etc). Zed has said he is willing to pass along all helpful info to those not travelling with him, if many people want to go. So, if 5 or more end up going then there might turn out to be a couple of groups.
The structure of the travels will be as fluid as individual people want them to be.

Some people may only want to go as far as Tashkent, some to Odessa, a few all the way to the end of the silk road at Venice, a couple seem already interested in making the return trip along the southern route through Iran, myself included.
VanIslander

Location: Geoje, Hadong, Tongyeong,... now in a small coastal island town outside Gyeongsangnamdo!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us will still be meeting up this spring to talk about the 2005 trip.

Next month in Daejon seems to be the general idea, no sooner because at least one person interested will be in North America until then.

Whatever info that has been collected, including a tentative itinerary, will be given out to those interested in making a trip of a lifetime. I'll post what I have, in the next week or two (once I beat this nagging cold).

I have had a lot of correspondence with a couple of you, occasional PM's with others, and, opps, a couple I've yet to PM with.

I'm taking on an organizing role in a very soft-handed way because, well, if somebody doesn't, it'll remain just an idea for most of us. Zed may truck along happily by himself, but I need a couple of others for safety, support, rapport, etc.

If any newbies are interested, just post or PM it.

Talk to you soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: