Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kustoms -- they've lost their damned mind. (tax rant)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superacidjax

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Kustoms -- they've lost their damned mind. (tax rant) Reply with quote

Korean Customs (i.e. Kustoms) has lost their damned mind when it comes to import taxes.

Check out these tax rates for alcoholic beverages entering Korea (beyond the standard duty free allowance.)

Beer (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Fruit wine (alcohol content 1% or more) 30%
Whiskey (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Brandy (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
General distilled spirits (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Unrefined Liquors (alcohol content 1% or more) 5%
Liquors made by a fermenting method other than fermented liquors 30%
Liquors made by a fementing method, mixed with neutral spirits or distilled liquor 72%

72% tax rates?? The Korean government needs a wake up call. I think it would be simply awesome if the US and Canada put a 100% tax on Hyundais and Samsung TVs. We'll then see how long Korea maintains their ridiculous tariffs, quotas and excise taxes.

It gets better..

Taxpayers of the special excise tax, transportation tax, tobacco consumption tax and liquor tax are required to pay education tax ON TOP OF the excise tax.

and the rates are..

Taxpayer of Special Excise Tax: 30%
Taxpayer of Transportation Tax: 15%
Taxpayer of Tobacco Tax: 50%
Taxpayer of Liquor Tax 10% (30% when liquor tax rate is over 70%)

Here's an example. Let's say I'm bringing two bottles of Louis XIII Cognac to Korea with me in a couple of weeks. Each bottle is priced around $1700 here in the US. I'm allowed to bring 1 bottle into Korea duty free. The second bottle will be taxed at 72% (the brandy rate), that means I'll have to pay a tax of about $1200.

But, I also have to pay the education tax on top of the liquor tax. Since the liquor tax rate was over 70%, that means I have an additional 30% tax. So the value for the purpose of the education tax is $1700+$1200 for the liquor tax=$2900 the total amount of which is taxed at the 30% which will be $870. So that $1700 of Louis XIII will actually cost a total of about $3770, with about $2070 (!!!) being taxes. That's over a 100% tax.

Trade/tariffs/taxes are my absolute biggest gripe with Korea (and other Oriental countries.) They want to (and get away with) flooding US and Canadian markets with their Hyundais, Kias, and Samsungs, yet when we want to import anything to Korea, they pull this protectionist lunacy.

The US is just as much to blame as the Koreans simply because the US lawmakers don't stand up to the virtual tax extortion that the Koreans are getting away with. The funny thing is that these ridiculous import duties are actually hurting the Korean people more that it helps them.

It drives up prices for ALL goods, after all, if imported wine has a high tax, that raises its price, obviously, well, now that means that the Korean wine makers can raise their prices too because the competition has been taxed out of contention so to speak. The consumer pays more for everything, imports or domestics and that takes away money they could be using to buy other products or save and invest.

Cars aren't taxed quite as bad as alcohol, but they're taxed pretty badly. It's no wonder you don't see Fords and GMs very often in Korea. It's also no wonder that US automakers are on the skids.. they can't compete in Korea and they can't compete in the US, thanks to minimally taxed imports from Korea and Japan.

Cars with a 2.0L engine or greater are taxed at the customs rate of 8%, then the total new value is then taxed at 10% for VAT then that new total value is then taxed an additional 10% for the special excise tax. Finally all of that is then taxed with a 30% education tax! All of the taxes are stacked on the previous taxes in the list, so taxes are paid on taxes which are paid on taxes!!!

A $20,000 car: $20,000+$1600 (customs duty)=$21,600+$2160 (VAT)=$23,760+$2376(excise tax)=$26,136+$7840 (education tax)=

The grand total of a $20K car-------> $33976. If the car was below 2.0L the excise tax drops to 5%, but with the other taxes stacked, the total comes out to be $32,432.

Economics obviously takes a back seat in Korea. Perhaps the US, UK and Canada ought to be sending people to Korea to teach economics rather than English. It would seem that the average Korean's English-ee is much better than their entire government's economics-ee.

I apologize for the long post and lots of calculations, but when I recently learned about these taxes, I was pretty irritated. I figure that someone on this board might be interested in the workings of the Korean Customs Service.

Here's the link to the Korean Customs page that explains the figures I used for my calculations..

http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=common.HtmlApp&c=1501&page=/english/html/kor/personal/personal_02_03.html&mc=ENGLISH_PERSONAL_POST_030
kiknkorea

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No more sneaking in extra bottles for me!
travelingfool

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Kustoms -- they've lost their damned mind. (tax rant) Reply with quote

superacidjax wrote:
Korean Customs (i.e. Kustoms) has lost their damned mind when it comes to import taxes.

Check out these tax rates for alcoholic beverages entering Korea (beyond the standard duty free allowance.)

Beer (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Fruit wine (alcohol content 1% or more) 30%
Whiskey (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Brandy (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
General distilled spirits (alcohol content 1% or more) 72%
Unrefined Liquors (alcohol content 1% or more) 5%
Liquors made by a fermenting method other than fermented liquors 30%
Liquors made by a fementing method, mixed with neutral spirits or distilled liquor 72%

72% tax rates?? The Korean government needs a wake up call. I think it would be simply awesome if the US and Canada put a 100% tax on Hyundais and Samsung TVs. We'll then see how long Korea maintains their ridiculous tariffs, quotas and excise taxes.

It gets better..

Taxpayers of the special excise tax, transportation tax, tobacco consumption tax and liquor tax are required to pay education tax ON TOP OF the excise tax.

and the rates are..

Taxpayer of Special Excise Tax: 30%
Taxpayer of Transportation Tax: 15%
Taxpayer of Tobacco Tax: 50%
Taxpayer of Liquor Tax 10% (30% when liquor tax rate is over 70%)

Here's an example. Let's say I'm bringing two bottles of Louis XIII Cognac to Korea with me in a couple of weeks. Each bottle is priced around $1700 here in the US. I'm allowed to bring 1 bottle into Korea duty free. The second bottle will be taxed at 72% (the brandy rate), that means I'll have to pay a tax of about $1200.

But, I also have to pay the education tax on top of the liquor tax. Since the liquor tax rate was over 70%, that means I have an additional 30% tax. So the value for the purpose of the education tax is $1700+$1200 for the liquor tax=$2900 the total amount of which is taxed at the 30% which will be $870. So that $1700 of Louis XIII will actually cost a total of about $3770, with about $2070 (!!!) being taxes. That's over a 100% tax.

Trade/tariffs/taxes are my absolute biggest gripe with Korea (and other Oriental countries.) They want to (and get away with) flooding US and Canadian markets with their Hyundais, Kias, and Samsungs, yet when we want to import anything to Korea, they pull this protectionist lunacy.

The US is just as much to blame as the Koreans simply because the US lawmakers don't stand up to the virtual tax extortion that the Koreans are getting away with. The funny thing is that these ridiculous import duties are actually hurting the Korean people more that it helps them.

It drives up prices for ALL goods, after all, if imported wine has a high tax, that raises its price, obviously, well, now that means that the Korean wine makers can raise their prices too because the competition has been taxed out of contention so to speak. The consumer pays more for everything, imports or domestics and that takes away money they could be using to buy other products or save and invest.

Cars aren't taxed quite as bad as alcohol, but they're taxed pretty badly. It's no wonder you don't see Fords and GMs very often in Korea. It's also no wonder that US automakers are on the skids.. they can't compete in Korea and they can't compete in the US, thanks to minimally taxed imports from Korea and Japan.

Cars with a 2.0L engine or greater are taxed at the customs rate of 8%, then the total new value is then taxed at 10% for VAT then that new total value is then taxed an additional 10% for the special excise tax. Finally all of that is then taxed with a 30% education tax! All of the taxes are stacked on the previous taxes in the list, so taxes are paid on taxes which are paid on taxes!!!

A $20,000 car: $20,000+$1600 (customs duty)=$21,600+$2160 (VAT)=$23,760+$2376(excise tax)=$26,136+$7840 (education tax)=

The grand total of a $20K car-------> $33976. If the car was below 2.0L the excise tax drops to 5%, but with the other taxes stacked, the total comes out to be $32,432.

Economics obviously takes a back seat in Korea. Perhaps the US, UK and Canada ought to be sending people to Korea to teach economics rather than English. It would seem that the average Korean's English-ee is much better than their entire government's economics-ee.

I apologize for the long post and lots of calculations, but when I recently learned about these taxes, I was pretty irritated. I figure that someone on this board might be interested in the workings of the Korean Customs Service.

Here's the link to the Korean Customs page that explains the figures I used for my calculations..

http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=common.HtmlApp&c=1501&page=/english/html/kor/personal/personal_02_03.html&mc=ENGLISH_PERSONAL_POST_030

The same thing goes for people as well. Earlier today I was traveling through Anaheim, California and couldn't believe the amount of businesses with Korean writing on their signs. I passed by a huge Korean church which used to be an aerospace company. Koreans have a lot of latitude to start businesses in the US yet make it damn near impossible for a waygook to start a business in Korea. China is the same way though not as bad. I just wonder where these Asian tiger countries would be if our governments actually got some balls and reciprocated by slapping tariffs on their products.

You can't blame the Koreans. As many of you well know, they will do pretty much anything they can get away with to separate us from our money. The problem is that our governments are quite content to sell all us out don't give a damn about our countries.

Well, one bright spot in the universe it that California is likely going to decriminalize pot pretty soon Very Happy
Yangachi

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Economics obviously takes a back seat in Korea.

What do you mean? They are doing this because it is in their economic self-interest...raising tax revenue and protecting domestic industry.

By the way, most countries have tariffs on a wide range of goods, though I am not sure how they compare to Korea.
superacidjax

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yangachi wrote:
[What do you mean? They are doing this because it is in their economic self-interest...raising tax revenue and protecting domestic industry.

See, that's where you're wrong. They THINK it's in their economic self interest, but that isn't true at all. It's in the self-interest of the industries they are protecting, but not in the interest of the population at large. It's been demonstrated time and time again that freer trade and lower barriers lead to higher standards of living and great economic prosperity. All of these tariffs do one thing: it makes prices higher in Korea for Koreans. It also protects chaebols' oligopoly on a variety of products while keeping prices higher than a free market would support.

Who is the loser in this? The Korean consumer. More of their money goes to buy fewer things than they could buy if trade barriers were eliminated. This leads to slower economic growth. I don't think that there is a reputable economist alive that would ever argue for a tariff, unless the exporter country in question is engaged in slave labor/mass subsidization (i.e. the French government's massive support of Airbus makes competition with America's Boeing unfair since Boeing receives no government aid, as a result a tariff on imported Airbus plans would not be unreasonable, although I wouldn't support it.)

As far as "protecting domestic industry," the United States used tariffs for many years to protect the steel and auto industries. The irony is that the protectionism actually killed those industries because they were operating without having to compete completely against world competition. They became outdated and their manufacturing processes were lagging behind the rest of the world (especially in steel plants.) Eventually, those industries were so out-dated and inefficient that they basically started to die.

The GM situation is a pretty good example of what happens when inefficient industries are protected by tariffs and government handouts.. eventually, when forced to compete in the world market, they can't, they're so bloated and out-dated that they just can't keep up.

What would happen if suddenly Korea dropped their stupid auto import taxes? Hyundai et al would cry about it, Toyota and Honda would move into Korea, Hyundai et al would then be forced to make better cars more cheaply and then Toyota et al would have to match their efforts.. the prices for cars would drop, quality would increase and production would become more efficient. Who wins in that situation? The average Korean driver. He/She would get a better car for less money and then use that money he saved to invest, open a business, save, buy soju, whatever. That's how economic growth happens, NOT by protecting the status quo.

Competition is always better. Just look at the Soviet Volga and Lada cars.. they were pieces of crap. Why? No competition, no incentives. The ultimate in protectionism is North Korea. Their economy is pretty darned productive.. after all they don't have to deal with pesky imports.
mayorgc

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, the prices of electronics in Korea are a little bit eye popping. I can't believe Koreans have to pay such high prices.

Gotta open up the markets a bit more.
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protectionism of domestic economic interests takes front row seat. These high taxes are called import tariffs. Korea almost operates in a vacuum where it takes in much more money than it spends by buying imports, but imports are probably the highest today than they've ever been as they have to buy imported raw materials to build all this stuff as they don't have natural resources nor mining. They have lots of spring water, marble rock, and beautiful trees covering rocky mountains, but not metal ores nor oil for fuel and plastics.
Robot_Teacher

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double error.
earthbound14

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice post

I've been meaning to say something like this. I'm normally in favour of protecting ones economy and ones industries but in Korea I seem to be faced with so many situations where the prices seem artificially high while domestic goods are often of lower standard than I would expect and they usually seem to be sluggish and un responsive towards customer demands. They are slow to improve and show little signs of trying to communicate with their customers. There are no consumer reports, little reliability and they rely on a captive audience that buys out of loyalty to their country rather than any real notion of quality.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superacidjax wrote:
As far as "protecting domestic industry," the United States used tariffs for many years to protect the steel and auto industries. The irony is that the protectionism actually killed those industries because they were operating without having to compete completely against world competition.

The 45% tariff the U.S. slapped on import bikes saved Harley Davidson's ass in the 80s.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything above that was said above is as true as it could be. Free trade does bring about welfare for the "people", but lets look at it a different way.

Lets imagine that Korea reduced tariffs and allowed foreign products to be more competitive in the market. That would mean that the few companies that are large enough to actually be competitive outside of Korea would have to compete with countries who produce products at which they have a competitive advantage. In many of such cases, foreign products may sell more, not because they are inherently better products, but based on the mystic of "buying a foreign product" within Korea. Could we all imagine for a moment if companies such as Samsung and Hyundai began laying off thousands of workers as a result of lost revenue due to foreign competition? While I think it is wrong for this kind of protectionism to take place, it s not hard to see why it happens. The GATT accords did nothing more than cause countries to find other ways to continue to protect their domestic industries which those countries feel are vital to their nations health in more innovative ways.

In a country as tiny as Korea with literally no natural resources, that kind of competition could drive many businesses into the ground. Now the nature of the free market would suggest that if they cannot compete, they should be eliminated. However, we saw the US government bail out failing banks and auto manufacturers that free market people would agree should have been allowed to fail. Free market economics which seem perfect in textbooks, are not always in the best interest of a nation. Many of those theories are static...they do not take into account all of the different variables that play into the possible outcomes of any economic policy. 30,000 Koreans workers laid off from decent jobs her in Korea would be alot more damaging than the same numbers of workers laid off in a larger country, not to mention all of the smaller businesses that contribute to said failed businesses.

Are Korean import tariffs high...certainly. I was just going over the tariffs on US agricultural products recently, and noted that there is a 90% tariff on US pork products. That is truly insane. However, regardless of recent economic woes worldwide, I feel it is unjust to accuse Korean economic policy makers of being ignorant to basic economic theory/trade policy. In fact, I would argue the opposite, that considering where this country was just 50 years ago, the fact that the economy has grown so much stronger and Korea can get away with such tariffs is an indicator to their economic and trade prowess. Hey, if you drop the soap in a prison shower room and take a good long while to bend over and pick it up...what can you expect?

Every country in the world is out to get as much money as they can. If other countries let Korea get away with what most can agree is insane import policy...is it the fault of Korea for doing it, or the fault of other nations who submit to it?

No country is exporting to Korea for a loss. The import tariffs may be high, but the deals are going through because the exporters are making a profit. The fact that other nations do not impose anywhere near the same kinds of tariffs on Korean goods is a testament to just how important they think the Korean market is, and how far they are willing to "bend over" to be a part of it.
pkang0202

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that Korea should open up their doors to more trade. Lower prices, hell yeah, I'm all for that.

You have to understand the "market". Right now, in Korea people are fine paying 100,000w for a bottle of Jack Daniels. In fact, the only people that WOULD drink Jack Daniels are probably rich people who can afford it. Do you think low income Koreans would drink Jack Daniels, even at 20,000w a bottle, when they buy soju at 2,000w a bottle?

"Western" hard liquors are a premium/luxury good here. Mostly drunk by business men.

Lets discount ALL hard liquors 50% in Korea right now. Do you honestly think you'd have a flock of people switching off Soju/Cass/Hite to Jack Daniels, Grey Goose, and Bombay Sapphire?

Of course not. Koreans like Soju. Rich Koreans like Whiskey, and I'm pretty sure its because of the price, not because they like the taste.

That's the simple fact. The demand wouldn't change much, even if they lowered the price 50%. So, until Koreans suddenly learn what mixed drinks are, and change their tastes from fruity soju cocktails to Irish CAr Bombs, you aren't going to see cheaper liquor here.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coralreefer_1 wrote:
However, regardless of recent economic woes worldwide, I feel it is unjust to accuse Korean economic policy makers of being ignorant to basic economic theory/trade policy. In fact, I would argue the opposite, that considering where this country was just 50 years ago, the fact that the economy has grown so much stronger and Korea can get away with such tariffs is an indicator to their economic and trade prowess.

Well said. Funny how so many other people this board who work for $24K a year in a foreign country are all of a sudden economic geniuses. For such a small country with virtually no natural resources, Korea is doing something right to be considered one of the top economies in the world. I also know that people smarter than me or anyone else on this board are making those decisions.

I've got a friend who is a senior economic official in Korea and another that worked for the U.S. government as a Korean trade analyst. It was fun to hear stories from both sides. I remember in the 90s when the U.S. guy complained about how the Koreans were refusing to lower tariffs on pasta sauce. The Koreans felt that they already lowered the tariff on ketchup and couldn't understand why it couldn't be used in lieu of pasta sauce. The U.S. guy had to write a memo to the Koreans explaining the difference. Of course, at the time, it fell on deaf ears. Suffice to say, the one thing that both would agree on is that the situation has greatly improved over the years.
Hyeon Een

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superacidjax wrote:

See, that's where you're wrong. They THINK it's in their economic self interest, but that isn't true at all. It's in the self-interest of the industries they are protecting, but not in the interest of the population at large.

I think this 'fact' is well known to anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of economics and is no more relevant to Korea than any other country in the world.

One day unions/governments/populations etc. will understand this fact and an automatic 'free trade agreement' will appear magically without any need for government negotiations which will encompass the world in it's economic awesomeness.

Top tip to help current American president: Declare a unilateral free trade deal with the world. It'd be hilarious if you started signing FTAs which read "All trade is free" instead of 120,000 pages of restrictions and rules and guidelines and so forth.You've already got laws preventing the sale of secrets so military stuff isn't a problem. This will do wonders for trade and make you rich again. It might irritate some unions though.
superacidjax

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

earthbound14 wrote:
...but in Korea I seem to be faced with so many situations where the prices seem artificially high while domestic goods are often of lower standard than I would expect and they usually seem to be sluggish and un responsive towards customer demands. ...they rely on a captive audience that buys out of loyalty to their country rather than any real notion of quality.

Well said. The iPhone situation is a great example of this. With restrictive technological red-tape, the iPhone has been effectively kept out of Korea because the domestic companies realize that the iPhone would be a disaster for their stranglehold on the cellular/data/smartphone market. The Korean consumer is the real loser because they are being denied better (and cheaper) technology due to protectionism rooted in inefficiency and a fear of competition.

The whole "Buy American" attitude expressed by many Americans is fairly similar. I personally don't care about the national origin of a particular product. I care more about high quality and low price.

If American industry is hurt because of innovation and competition, that's a great thing, because it's competition that drives innovation. It's like a forest fire.. nature needs forest fires to clear out the years of stifling, old growth in order to regenerate and fertilize the ground for new growth.

Without the influence of Japanese and German cars for instance, American cars would still be pieces of junk with transmissions that go out at 100K miles. Instead, competition has forced American car companies to innovate. The winner in the car-wars is the consumer. Higher quality, lower priced vehicles. The loser is, of course the United Auto Workers who have a vested interest in eliminating competition. What's good for the UAW is rarely good for the rest of the country.

I disagree with the tariffs that "saved" Harley Davidson. Without those tariffs, perhaps Harley would have gone bankrupt OR, perhaps Harley would have been forced to produce better bikes more efficiently and sell them cheaper. If the Japanese can produce a quality bike for less money, there's no reason that Harley couldn't either. Japanese labor costs aren't much lower than American labor costs, however the Japanese were innovators in production efficiency.

Harley Davidsons, while cultural "icons," are overpriced and aren't all that good. They are temperamental, require lots of maintenance and not very efficient. Indian Motorcycles, America's first bike, is one of the few domestic competitors to Harley. That distinct lack of competition is what led to Harley's woes in the first place. If Harley had been forced to compete on a level-playing field all along, they would never have needed the "protection" of a 45% tariff.

General Motors cars could also be considered American icons too. We should let them stand or fail on their own merits instead of propping them up with bailouts and tariffs. GM's woes are directly related to their inefficiency. That's their problem, not ours. If GM fails, there are plenty of other companies to take their place. Sure, those particular workers will be out of a job, but they'll eventually be reabsorbed into that or other industries. After all, cars are still being sold and built. The collapse of GM doesn't mean that there'll be fewer cars on the road, just fewer GM cars.

The American (and Korean) consumer should not be forced to subsidize mediocrity. Tariffs and import quotas do exactly that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: