Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time limit to get ARC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zed

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
If you are in Korea for 91 days on a tourist visa, you "need" an ARC. I was harassed by Air Canada for not having one.
Really? I've never heard of this before.
mishlert

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your friend to go to immigration, show them the visa and tell them about the hokwon. I'm sure the owner will get his act together once he gets a call from immigration telling him to get it done or pay hefty fine.

Last edited by mishlert on Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
kangnamdragon

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zed wrote:
OiGirl wrote:
If you are in Korea for 91 days on a tourist visa, you "need" an ARC. I was harassed by Air Canada for not having one.

This is true, but a strange rule. Why would a legit tourist think of getting a registration card?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bosintang

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Zed wrote:
OiGirl wrote:

This is true, but a strange rule. Why would a legit tourist think of getting a registration card?

OiGirl, did you come here on a Canadian passport? Are you sure the counter-clerk didn't make a mistake? What was the outcome?

I thought Canadians on a 6-month landing permit were exempt from the ARC card process....
OiGirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a US passport and left before the 90 days. Finally the agent realized my situation and let me go.

Now, that doesn't mean my flight actually left...
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kangnamdragon wrote:
Zed wrote:
OiGirl wrote:

Just out of curiosity...where you you get off saying this is a rule like you know it for a fact. If my tone sounds a little miffed it actually is. A friend had me take him to immigration based of the BS that is spewed around here. *GRRR* wasted day....

IF you are on a tourist visa (or rather the 6-month Canadian exemption from a visa whatever they call it) you are a tourist...PERIOD...a tourist doesn't need an ARC (or ARC Card...acronyms are funny that way)

You can happily spend your time here for 6 months and not worry about an ARC. I had the immigration lady check with someone else because I wouldn't believe her. She was miffed so I didn't get the answer I really wanted and that was CAN a tourist visa get a residency card...it didn't seem like it but I was done arguing for the day. Smile

I think kangnamdragon owes me a beer... Twisted Evil
OiGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

turtlepi1 wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:
Zed wrote:
OiGirl wrote:

Just out of curiosity...where you you get off saying this is a rule like you know it for a fact. If my tone sounds a little miffed it actually is. A friend had me take him to immigration based of the BS that is spewed around here. *GRRR* wasted day....

Did you see the part where I put need into quotation marks? That's a standard convention used to indicate I don't really believe it, but so I'm told.
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OiGirl wrote:
turtlepi1 wrote:
kangnamdragon wrote:
Zed wrote:
OiGirl wrote:

Did you see the part where I put need into quotation marks? That's a standard convention used to indicate I don't really believe it, but so I'm told.

OK I'll buy that but even in "re-reading" it, to me the quotation marks imply that it is required...but many people don't bother to do it. (And I STILL feel like you owe me a beer. Twisted Evil

Either way, according to immigration a tourist is a tourist, is a tourist, until we can prove otherwise and give 'em an exit order or deportation. Smile
Free World

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Time limit to get ARC? Reply with quote

canuckistan wrote:
What is the penalty for not getting your ARC within 3 months, if in fact there is a 3 month rule?

You don't really need to count 3 months on the calander. On your visa (mine is an E2 but I assume it is standard) there should be an issue date and an expiry date. The expiry date is exactly 3 months after the issue date and this is when one must obtain an ARC to avoid having your visa expire.
jhuntingtonus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Alien Registration Card - Should I get one before I'm hired? Reply with quote

Welcome, all! I have recently arrived in Busan, and within a few days will start contacting recruiters and applying for teaching positions.

Is it in my interest to apply for an ARC before I actually have a job offer? I see certain mobile phone plans require them... or did I just answer my own question?

Thanks!
dimnd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: ARC Reply with quote

ARC is gotten After you have your E-2 visa and it goes with your job.
jhuntingtonus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll sit tight then - I just got a prepaid cell phone anyway.
aussieb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Korea on a 90 day Tourist Visa in 2012. I was unfortunate enough to be admitted to hospital only a few days before my tourist visa was due to expire. I was still undergoing treatment when the 90 days expired and was forced to obtain an ARC until I could be released from hospital and given medical clearance to travel.
aussieb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Korea on a 90 day Tourist Visa in 2012. I was unfortunate enough to be admitted to hospital only a few days before my tourist visa was due to expire. I was still undergoing treatment when the 90 days expired and was forced to obtain an ARC until I could be released from hospital and given medical clearance to travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: