Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hoengseong, Gangwon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kantoi09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Hoengseong, Gangwon Reply with quote

Hi,
I just found out from Epik that I am going to Hoengseong. Can anyone tell me about this place? How can I make friends there? Any help would be great. I am black female going to that area so I just need some help. It is near Wonju. Thanks
schwa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've visited Hoengseong but I dont know that area well, hopefully someone else can pitch in with local knowledge.

I can tell you you wont be the only foreigner in that county. I dont have the figure at hand but I imagine there are at least 15 or 20 EPIK teachers there. As you note, Wonju is also nearby & there are many more there. Not to mention non-EPIK foreign teachers.

Shortly after your arrival your county coordinator will contact you & help you make contact with others.

A number of black women have worked / are working for Gangwon EPIK, some of them in some of our remotest placements. As far as I know, they have all, without exception, been well-received in their communties & enjoyed their jobs. I'll dig up a couple relevant email addresses for you & PM them to you in the next day or so.
Thiuda

Location: Religion ist f�r Sklaven geschaffen, f�r Wesen ohne Geist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hoengseong, Gangwon Reply with quote

kantoi09 wrote:
Hi,
I just found out from Epik that I am going to Hoengseong. Can anyone tell me about this place? How can I make friends there? Any help would be great. I am black female going to that area so I just need some help. It is near Wonju. Thanks

I work in Hoengsong on a part-time basis. It's a very nice town, though quite small. Still, don't worry, Hoengsong has all the amenities needed for day-to-day life and the number 2 bus goes every five minutes from Hoengsong-eup directly to downtown Wonju. The whole trip only takes about 20 minutes and Wonju has a pretty sizable foreign community, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of people to hang out with.

If you have any specific questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

All the best and good luck.
Palladium

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little rural town. I live near there and go thru there once in a while. You'll be going to Seoul once or twice a month for shopping (and sanity renewal). I live in a rather isolated town in the area. Depends on your tolerance for being the only foreigner around. I don't mind it personally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: