Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Photos, digital and otherwise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TobyWhite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Photos, digital and otherwise Reply with quote

Hi all,
Back in Canada (and I assume in many other countries) it is possible to develop 35mm film and get a CD of digital images as well - thus saving you the pain of having to scan in all the images yourself. I would very much like to share photos with friends and family back home, but I do not yet have a digital camera. Does anyone have any advice (aside from purchasing a scanner...) on how I can get digital images from my film? Do any developers or mail-away services offer this in Korea?
Hotuk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you live in Seoul and are visiting Yongsan, pop into the mall with the Burger King that's at the south end of Shinyongsan Station on the #4 line. Around the corner from the BK is a Kodak place that specializes in digital prints and may very well do 35mm-to-CD scanning/conversion. It's worth it to ask.

However, I find that scans don't look nearly as good as digital photos, and digicams are coming down in price all the time.

Also in theShinyongsan station is a used notebook store that deals with used digital cameras. Though I personally feel more comfortable buying new stuff, you can pick up really good deals there for under 250,000w. If you're there have a look in the window.
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good photo developing shops will put your film onto CD.

if you head over to Chungmuro and exit 5 (I think) walk aobut 150 meters and go to a shop called timefoto. I get all my prints done there - best color I have found in Korea. a little more expensive than average but worth it. I know that they do scanning or photo CD's
Derrek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:07 am    Post subject: Advice for when you DO buy a digital camera Reply with quote

Buy a Canon digital camera. Nothing else even comes close.

If you plan on printing your photos, buy a 2 or 3 megapixel. If you are just e-mailing, then save yourself some money and buy a 1.3 megapixel or 2. Unless you plan to print 11x17 or Poster-sized photos, there is absolutely NO reason for anything above a 3 megapixel.

Trust me... I've owned five digital cameras by Sony, Ricoh, Canon, Kodak, and Nikon.

If you want a good entry-level camera for nice snapshots and great indoor photos too (many digitals can't get the indoor lighting right), go with the new Canon A100 or the 2 megapixel A200. They have fixed-focus lenses, but there's something to be said about not having to fumble with a zoom and sometimes unreliable autofocus zoom lenses. The fixed-focus lenses are cheaper, and you can fire off a shot right away without having to wait for the camera to focus. The fixed-focus ones also do better in low-light and don't have the "barrel distortion" around the edges caused by the zoom lense (a kind of partial fish-eye effect). I think you can pick up an A200 for somewhere around 250,000 won. Maybe less. Back in the USA, they are like $179.

On another note -- there are some shops in Nandemun that sell digital cameras illegally (bypassing the Korean import fees which make them expensive here). A guy I know paid 430,000 for a camera that costs 530,000 everywhere else -- that's a lot of savings.

Another great camera for the money (with a zoom) is the Canon A10 or the A40.

Good luck. I love my digital...a Canon S30. Wow!
kimcheeking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derrek's right on the money regarding digital and money.

I have the canon a40.

for print camera I have Canon EOS 5 with 2 lenses and will eventually get the EOS digital when I have enough disposable cash or prices come down.
TobyWhite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I will definitely get a digital camera once I save up enough money, but for now I wanted to digitize the photos from my lowly 35mm. Hopefully I will find a place here in Gumi that can do it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: