Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of "No Foreigners Allowed" Bars
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdninkorea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, no apologists have chimed in yet. Shall I?

1) This is part of the culture. If you don't like it, go home. Yup, you have to like everything about this place to stay.
2) This happens back home too. That make it okay here somehow.

I can't think of any other apologist arguments off the top of my head. Maybe a real apologist can chime in and help me out.
itaewonguy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tin pan has a policy.. no one over 33 years old... well for korean guys anyway.. I guess for foreigners some times too..

It just goes to show you the treatment foreigners get..
back in 2001 TinPan 1 was dead! maybe a handful of foreigners would go on a weekend.. 2004 it started to get alittle busy with foreigners , then 2004-2005 it really picked up as a foreigner bar and made the owner A TON of money! he was loving the foreigners! then he opened tin pan 2 across the street, from foreigners money.. then after about 3 years of that one he bought his new ferrari and opened tin pan 3..
he decided he didnt want foreigners anymore. and wanted to make it more for koreans... and younger koreans.. no korean guys over 33 and limited amount of foreigners.. cant blame him really.. foreigners really do act stupid at times.. well not all foreigners.. just like not all korean guys.
but as an owner why not limit the idiots..

Foreigners will spend more money drinking than koreans will per capita.

someone opens a cool bar for foriegners&koreans.. they will kill it!
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
tin pan has a policy.. no one over 33 years old... well for korean guys anyway.. I guess for foreigners some times too..

back in 2001 TinPan 1 was dead! maybe a handful of foreigners would go on a weekend.. 2004 it started to get alittle busy with foreigners , then 2004-2005 it really picked up as a foreigner bar and made the owner A TON of money! he was loving the foreigners! then he opened tin pan 2 across the street, from foreigners money.. then after about 3 years of that one he bought his new ferrari and opened tin pan 3..
he decided he didnt want foreigners anymore. and wanted to make it more for koreans... and younger koreans.. no korean guys over 33 and limited amount of foreigners.. cant blame him really.. foreigners really do act stupid at times.. well not all foreigners.. just like not all korean guys.

The way to get man wons from the Koreans is through absurdly priced anju.
cj1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: Developed Country? My hairy arse.
redaxe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:

Oh so that's what happened... A few months ago I was wondering why I never see other foreigners in Tinpan anymore, and why it suddenly turned into a total sausagefest... these days it seems to be full of Korean college boys who just stand there and stare at the dancing girls.

But I have definitely met Korean women over 33 y/o (Korean agey) at Tinpan before...

So, uh, where do the foreigners usually go in Hongdae now? Are any of the other hip-hop clubs more foreigner-friendly?
storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
I've said it before and I'm going to say it again: Developed Country? My hairy arse.

Dude... racism does NOT have ANY bearing on the level of a country's development.

What is WRONG with people?
poeticjustice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
tinpan in hongdae after 10 or 11

Tinpan is a hole. Terrible music and full of douchebags.
Jane

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:

back in 2001 TinPan 1 was dead! maybe a handful of foreigners would go on a weekend.. 2004 it started to get alittle busy with foreigners , then 2004-2005 it really picked up as a foreigner bar and made the owner A TON of money! he was loving the foreigners!

Yeah, Tin Pan used to be cool. I remember going there on a Saturday night and there was no need to even stand up as everyone managed to get a seat. The music was great, the prices low and it had a certain hip element to it. Now, it's just an extension of Geckos or Helios in Itaewon.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdninkorea wrote:
Well, no apologists have chimed in yet. Shall I?

1) This is part of the culture. If you don't like it, go home. Yup, you have to like everything about this place to stay.
2) This happens back home too. That make it okay here somehow.

I can't think of any other apologist arguments off the top of my head. Maybe a real apologist can chime in and help me out.

See my post above.

You forgot the apologist argument- "At least they're honest and aren't going to waste my time."
Murakano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

itaewonguy wrote:
opened tin pan 3..

Where is Tinpan 3?
Slowmotion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mongolian spot wrote:
PigeonFart wrote:
Disgraceful. A lot of foreign teachers will be the movers and shakers back in the English speaking world in decades to come. They'll remember these negative experiences in Korea and will decide to invest elsewhere.

p.s. I must disagree about TinPan. Foreigners can get in after midnight.

Although in fairness, i have seen a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners in TinPan over recent months. The bar staff are unfriendly and i get the feeling that i'm not welcome cos i have a small face (i.e. I'm not korean).

movers and shakers in the future Laughing Laughing Laughing where are these hidden gems in the esl community Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah exactly lol
poeticjustice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jane wrote:

Yeah, Tin Pan used to be cool. I remember going there on a Saturday night and there was no need to even stand up as everyone managed to get a seat. The music was great, the prices low and it had a certain hip element to it. Now, it's just an extension of Geckos or Helios in Itaewon.

Too many people, too much hip-hop/rap and too many douchebag GIs/English Teachers who think they're king shit.

Maybe I'm just getting old but the first time I went there was on my 20th birthday and I still thought it was a hole.
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:

Laughing
Well if you went to Japan, you'd find it happens at least as much there, probably more often than in Korea in spite of there being perhaps fewer westerners over there that behave in way that might make bars want to have such a policy.

Good luck convincing people of the backwardness of Japan.
mysterious700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there are bars and clubs that allow foriegners now, don't ruin it. In other words, behave. No yelling, being obnoxious, fighting, doing frugs, etc. Drink, but be quiet about it. Meet K girls, but be normal about it. If we are all well behaved and friendly, than maybe we wouldn't have this problem. (Or at least as often.) As for Daegu, I heard it's a pretty conservative place.
shinramyun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:

You, sir, are a moron.

Have a nice life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: