Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

List of "No Foreigners Allowed" Bars
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: List of "No Foreigners Allowed" Bars Reply with quote

In Daegu near Jongno Station is a bar called "Hongdae Ipgu" or something similar. It looks like the entrance to a subway station with the same name in Seoul.

I went there last Saturday night with a female Korean friend and we were told that I, a foreigner, was not allowed in.

I certainly don't like being told I'm not welcome to come into a bar with a friend for drinks. So this is a thread for sharing the names of bars that do not let foreigners in that way we don't have to be asked to leave. I have no problem spending my money at foreigner friendly bars.
Xuanzang

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Jungangno station?
Ed Provencher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I meant Jungangno Station. Thanks for pointing that out.
supernaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On saturday, my friends and I tried to go into some bars in Dongincheon, but we were told "Filipino only" which was shocking.

Im thinking they woulda been fine with us, but some Russian sailors were drinking with us and they were a riot. One was wearing a track suit with no tshirt and the jacket open, was pretty hilarious.

Anyway, i forgot the names.
storysinger81

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The karaoke bar (yes bar, not noraebang) below Club That in Daegu denied my friends and I entrance. We were not drunk or rowdy and a group of mixed Korean guys & gals as well as foreign guys & gals.

I was pretty pissed off.

This was about 8 months ago. I haven't been downtown much since then (not just because of that... but you know... it was a factor).
optik404

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tinpan in hongdae after 10 or 11

which im sure most people already knew, although i think they have good reason...last time I was there walked in the bathroom and saw 4 GIs smoking weed Very Happy
hugekebab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gwangju night nightclub in Sangmu gigu, Gwangju. Refuse foreigners.
asylum seeker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every 'room salon' and bro- ahem, 'anma'. (Or so I've heard.)
PigeonFart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disgraceful. A lot of foreign teachers will be the movers and shakers back in the English speaking world in decades to come. They'll remember these negative experiences in Korea and will decide to invest elsewhere.

p.s. I must disagree about TinPan. Foreigners can get in after midnight.

Although in fairness, i have seen a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners in TinPan over recent months. The bar staff are unfriendly and i get the feeling that i'm not welcome cos i have a small face (i.e. I'm not korean).
Murakano

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
tinpan in hongdae after 10 or 11

which im sure most people already knew, although i think they have good reason...last time I was there walked in the bathroom and saw 4 GIs smoking weed Very Happy

a friend of mine got denied entry too about a month back in one of the Tinpan`s (the larger one)......they claimed he was `too old` (he`s 31 years old). Utter [Mod Edit]Laughing ......I`m guessing there were too many foreigners in there or something at that time. He walked across to the other Tinpan on the other side and got in no problem.

I know there`s a few bars in the Sincheon/Jamsil area that have a no foreigners policy but don`t remember the names of the places.
mc_jc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is; why worry?

Our money is just as good as the next Korean walking into the place, right?
I believe that if certain establishments don't want to let foreigners in there, its their loss. We could just go to another establishment and spend our money there.
I understand this and it sux on every level, but at least their honest about it. In the US, if a place doesn't like the type of customers going in there, they would just provide crappy service to make sure they don't come back.
I think we should make a thread of the good bars/clubs/ establishments that let foreigners in. The more the word gets out about these places, the more foreigners would frequent them. We might not drop the same amount of money that Koreans drop, but at least we are loyal to the places we do frequent.
mongolian spot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PigeonFart wrote:
Disgraceful. A lot of foreign teachers will be the movers and shakers back in the English speaking world in decades to come. They'll remember these negative experiences in Korea and will decide to invest elsewhere.

p.s. I must disagree about TinPan. Foreigners can get in after midnight.

Although in fairness, i have seen a marked decrease in the amount of foreigners in TinPan over recent months. The bar staff are unfriendly and i get the feeling that i'm not welcome cos i have a small face (i.e. I'm not korean).

movers and shakers in the future Laughing Laughing Laughing where are these hidden gems in the esl community Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
sluggle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a dude with short hair, they may be assuming you are a GI... no?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mc_jc wrote:
My question is; why worry?

Our money is just as good as the next Korean walking into the place, right?
I believe that if certain establishments don't want to let foreigners in there, its their loss. We could just go to another establishment and spend our money there.
I understand this and it sux on every level, but at least their honest about it. In the US, if a place doesn't like the type of customers going in there, they would just provide crappy service to make sure they don't come back.
I think we should make a thread of the good bars/clubs/ establishments that let foreigners in. The more the word gets out about these places, the more foreigners would frequent them. We might not drop the same amount of money that Koreans drop, but at least we are loyal to the places we do frequent.

Well put mc_jc

I for one would prefer that they are honest rather then underhanded, and then in the middle of the night have to find a toilet because I have explosive diarrhea.

I also agree that I'd rather see a post on where the good places are. Telling me where to avoid IS useful, but with so many places out there it doesn't really do much to narrow the field. Telling me where to go makes it real easy.
Missihippi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Club M2 in Hongdae doesn't let GI's in (or people with short hair that could be a GI). I still go there occasionally, just an FYI though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: