Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Martial Arts Sticky
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kingkong9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Near Seongnam, which is 25-30 minutes away from Gangnam (LOL, I sound like a recruiter), I've found a legit 10th Planet Jiu-Jitsu; it's near KACHEON university. They teach boxing and BJJ.

There is another one, kinda near... Team POMA? It's a MMA Gym.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone train at the mma gym at daelim station that has Korean Zombie?

How much is it over month and how are the morning classes? Is there a first month sign up fee?

I have a BJJ place w a purple next to my house but I think I would travel out to daelim if the morning classes are good and the prices are okay.
miahn85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korean Zombie is no longer a part of Korean Top Team (the team in Daerim) but he has his own gym in Gangnam. KTT has LOTS of pro fighters, and pro training time is from 3-6pm. There are classes in the morning and evening as well. At night there are 3 classes (wrestling, striking, submission grappling) that rotate every day, and you can check their schedule on their facebook page
Marquis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything in Ilsan?
rok_the-boat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a general observation. I first came to Korea in 1994 then left in 2006. I am now back again. One thing I have noticed is that there are no Hapkido Dojangs. They used to be almost as common as TKD. At least, in my first three weeks here I have seen not even one. TKD ones are all over the place. So my question is - what happened to Hapkido?
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the MMA show on TV called (I think) 주먹이운다? I have only seen bits of it a couple times while channeling surfing. It seems that the idea of the show is to have guys with no experience come and get their asses kicked by accomplished MMA guys. Wtf? And those rookie guys always bring in a girlfriend, and the camera keeps panning to her as he eats bomb after bomb.

It's disgusting.
coralreefer_1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rok_the-boat wrote:
Just a general observation. I first came to Korea in 1994 then left in 2006. I am now back again. One thing I have noticed is that there are no Hapkido Dojangs. They used to be almost as common as TKD. At least, in my first three weeks here I have seen not even one. TKD ones are all over the place. So my question is - what happened to Hapkido?

Ive noticed this as well. I came to Korea initially for TAekwondo training at a university, but of course back home my Taekwondo school integrated hapkido into the training, so when I came to Korea in 2004, i had an interest in it as well.

My guess it (after having taught taewkwondo here for a few years back in 2006-2008), that Hapkido schools are becoming less and less popular because, sadly, most martial arts schools here are geared more to "exercise" much more than "martial arts"

In that sense, Taekwondo lends itself a bit more to "activity" than Hapkido considering the nature of curriculum for most of the paying customers (mostly elementary aged children) Many Taekwodo schools these days might do maybe 10 minutes of warm up and stretching, then perhaps only 20 minutes of actual Taekwondo training, and the rest of the class is devoted to playing soccer/basketball/jump rope, etc

Hapkido, being a much more cerebral art than Taekwondo, doesn't come off as being as "active" in regards to parents considering a place for little Min Su to get some exercise between hagwons.

Sad really, because BOTH arts have much more to offer, and I am a firm believed that arts like Taekwondo and Hapkido have been the greatest exports of Korea in regards to exporting culture..and yet both are considered childs play and exercise by the majority of Koreans.
chrisinkorea2011

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately TKD has evolved into a sport and nothing much else. True there are tenets to learn and it does have some spiritual and mental benefit but the gist of it is simply exercise. I am happy to admit I lost a lot of weight when I started because I went from a sedimentary lifestyle to 3 hours a night but that is very irregular.

I still see a few hapkido schools around although most are quickly absorbed into TKD schools promising both arts when in actuality its just exercise. I dislike how in Korea you can basically buy a belt if you train at the same place 3 hours a week for a year. I dont care what anyone says, you simply cant train for a year in a martial art and suddenly become a black belt level student unless youre putting intense training and focus into it. Its all about money and less about training, which is why you see tons of TKD schools and 4/5th degree black belts (without the ability required of it) and less formal training martial arts such as HKD or Tae kyeon.

Just my 2 cents Smile
ChrisW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm moving to Bundang just outside of Seoul in 2 weeks today. I have been doing mma for about 4 months here in London and am keen to continue martial arts in Korea. Does anyone know of any Bjj, western boxing, Muay Thai or mma gyms in the area?

Any info would be appreciated.
asian sensation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team posse at sullueng station on the bundang line and line 2 in Seoul. It's a good MMA gym with a good variety of classes and levels. English instruction for some classes.

http://cafe.daum.net/teampossegangnam
ChrisW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, seems close enough to where I will be. Have you trained there before? I can't read Korean so struggling to read much on the website with google translate. Do you know anything about class times and prices? I'm looking for a gym with morning and midday classes as i'll be working evenings.
chungbukdo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im moving to Chungjungro. On the green line and purple.

Is there a good MMA gym close? Especially near a green line station nearby?

If not MMA, BJJ.
If not BJJ, Muay Thai with a decent instructor who doesnt just let you hit the bag.
If not MT, then Judo for adults that is reasonably priced.

Sorry, Ive only read a couple pages. Will go back to reading more.
thurst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YMCA near Jonggak Station has a really good judo class. If you're trying to learn the basics, it might not be the best place if you're a complete novice, but there's a lot of sparring.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a group on FB (mostly foreigners) that's pretty good.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/25862042323/

BJJ & MMA if I'm not mistaken. Good people, I'm taking classes this month.

Alternatively, http://www.seoulmartialarts.com
Joe Boxer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisW wrote:
Hi,

Does anyone know of any Bjj, western boxing, Muay Thai or mma gyms in the area?

Any info would be appreciated.

Hi Chris,
A fellow Canadian (who is also a fellow pro boxer) and I just opened Big Bang Boxing by Migeum subway station. Leave exit 2, walk straight 200 meters and and look for KB Bank on your left. We're on the fourth floor.

Monday~Friday, 11am to 11pm.

Phone: 031-717-7654.

Facebook Page:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1601676033405977&tsid=0.09050609380938113&source=typeahead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 34 of 35

Jump to: